Lackawanna State Park, Pa.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Attention Campers and Riders! If your looking for a weekend or more getaway then don't miss this place. Starting with the the camp grounds top notch with sites from primitive to pet only areas. Cabins and tent cabanas are also offered. Hot showers and clean baths. They have a round pool the size of two hockey rinks with a concession stand like none other (real italian eats).

OK on to the real deal This is a place I promise you will thank me later. The mountain biking for x/c lovers is next to none. Bob Tierney (not sure if the spelling is right) is single handedly responsible for the the trail building here. Not that I know him but he needs to be mentioned as these trails are so well put together with bench cuts, rock bridging, switchbacks, layout and markings that I am surprised I haven't heard of this place mentioned before. There is easily 20+ miles marked in the state land with also adjoining preserved land that has named signed trails with you are here posters of maps. Very easy to get around.

The beauty of this place is it's only 1.5 form my house. Just 15 mins north of Scranton and within 20 mins of some other great parks like moosic, Meryl sanorski and prompton reservoir.

Info:http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/lackawanna.aspx

Also don't forget to bring canoe or kayak and fishing poles...

I'm familiar with the area.
Someday after visiting the relatives I'll have to check it out.
But according to the site, it's only 1,400 acres?
What gives?

French Creek State Park is another one that's within an hour of philly. It's not far off the PA turnpike, so its easily accessible from Jerz. The campground is on the trail system... you can literally pitch your tent in the trail on some of the sites. There's a fair amount of good riding here... It'd be a great weekend trip. There's a big pool, a couple lakes, creeks, small boat rentals, etc.

I'm wanting to do a camping trip for my school's outdoors club, and this place is deffinitely one of our options now! thanks for posting this!

Camping/riding families wanted

We are planning a family mid week camping trip to Lackawanna State Park in Pa.
We would really dig it if we had other peeps come along to enjoy an awesome campground. We are planning to go Aug. 2nd-4th. You can ride right out to some great trails, enjoy canoeing, fishing, swimming in huge round pool or just chilling at the campsite. They have cabins and tent cabanas for folks who don't have tents. They also have great food at the campground if want to grab something too.

So post up the more the merrier...

We are planning a family mid week camping trip to Lackawanna State Park in Pa.
We would really dig it if we had other peeps come along to enjoy an awesome campground. We are planning to go Aug. 2nd-4th. You can ride right out to some great trails, enjoy canoeing, fishing, swimming in huge round pool or just chilling at the campsite. They have cabins and tent cabanas for folks who don't have tents. They also have great food at the campground if want to grab something too.

So post up the more the merrier...

That sounds interesting. I have all necessary camping equipment including kayak. Please keep me posted. I need to take my son Alex this summer to reintroduce him to camping:)

I may jump on this too. I'll speak to E about this today and keep ya posted.

I have to say-- alot of campsites turn me off, but this place was very pretty, with enough room for privacy. Great place for biking, etc....

yes but that doesnt mean you cant come early or leave later though...

That's not the problem....My son is in summer school for 6 weeks so I think we can make it. I need to find out what is the last day of this so called "summer school".
On the record, he didn't fail at anything but he want's to have two electives next year (band and architectural drawing) so he need to take history during summer because stupid high school will not allow it ....no wonder education system sucks in this country.

Just booked a site for this weekend. Taking 3 days and enjoying the trails pool and food. This is one of the nicest campgrounds we have ever been to with great riding. Really looking forward to this. This time will stop and take pics of the awesome trail work that's been done here. Maybe shoot over to moosic or merli one day too.

Can anyone comment on the tech level and elevation profile at this place?

Mrs. G and I honeymooned at a lake out that way 20 years ago this coming September, perhaps an anniversary trip of sorts is in order...

Can anyone comment on the tech level and elevation profile at this place?

Mrs. G and I honeymooned at a lake out that way 20 years ago this coming September, perhaps an anniversary trip of sorts is in order...

Tech is avg nothing over the top. The first thing you will notice is you will not find one round rock, every rock is flat top big and small. Very odd but excellent for trail building and armouring. Good elevation with nicely placed switchbacks. Trail map signs in many intersections. Tent trailer yurts and cabins. Beautiful lake and large pool with consession stand that serves italian cuisine. Surprising how good the food is. Owner is from NYC and post his NY Times article of campground consession stand.

Nice!!! definitely take some photos - curious about the place (we've passed the area a few times on our way to Corning to visit friends). Have a blast!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom