Kresson Trails

MikeP

Hadn't given this place much thought but had been hearing good things so I figured I'd check it out. I was very impressed, just about 8 miles on very nice flowing singletrack with a few TTFs sprinkled around. If you live in SJ you should definately check it out.

Here's the loop we did:
http://app.strava.com/rides/7631986

Yes, I've ridden here a few times and enjoy it as it's good for my skill level. Not sure who maintains these trails but I do know the employees at Keswick on Rt. 70 ride here a lot before work.

Thanks

I live right around the corner there and the mere presence of these trails has motivated me to get back riding, especially with my kids. I picked up a great Redline Monocog 29er on Sat off the classifieds (THANKS JOE!) and after making a couple of changes the boys and I went out there on Sat. We had a blast, the level is right there for an old man with two kids. Excellent skill building singletrack and confidence building in some areas. Nothing remotely challenging to a skilled rider, which i am not anymore.

What your map shows me is that there is a whole other set of trails on the east side of Springdale Rd! We thought the access from Springdale was the end when we reached that location. I had no idea and am excited, as 3.5 mile is about all i can get into my 7yo before he falls down exhausted. I look forward to trying the eastern section now.

The eastern section is much more technical. Might wanna check it out solo before taking the kids. CCC is pretty kid friendly too if you know your way around.

Went riding here the past two morning and had a blast, day one I was by myself riding around tsting the waters on my sscx bike, day two I stayed in the same area but tried to push myself a little bit since I felt more comfortable with the trails. I was on my last run when I met a gentleman named Jeff who was riding a Raleigh (I believe) SS 29er who told me about the eastern section across the street. Boy was I in for a suprise. Take into consideration I am severly overgeared for the terrain, but even with proper gearing, that side seemed very technical at parts and fun everywhere. I actually took a few spills with the combination of thin tires and it being my secont time ever mountain biking...

I can garuntee I will be going back for some more fun. And plus, we saw a ton of wild turkey, two baby skunks, two tiny deer, and a box turtle..I don't see that on my on road rides....

The east side is very tricky/fun and as I found out, technically not part of the trails. That land is privately owned so be careful over there. In the fall there are some guys that bowhunt in that section.

I was driving down Rt70 on sun about 11am and spotted a nice lite blue bike on, could not grab the brand name at 40mph, on the back of someones truck turning right towards Kresson. Was that you?

I cleared the cobwebs at Kresson this morning before anyone else got there an it was great. JORBA has posted trail markers and a couple new features scattered around.... Very fun place for me. I found out JORBA holds a clinic one saterday a month there at 9am.... I am still learning the best lines for my ss but whenever anyone wants to ride here pm me...

The clinic is nice, geared for noobs. Basic skills in the parking lot, followed by a slower ride but doesn't cross the street to the other section.

JORBA and or CHTWP really went out of there way have done alot of maintenance and alterations to the trails here. CHTWP has recently updated all their "Nature Trails" within the town with signage, maps and kiosks.

Kresson Trails got new color coded steel trail markers with arrows at trail junctions. The well rooted and eroded wide trail on the west side of the west section has been blocked off (prob to limit damage and erosion) and a new, winding more tech trail has been cut in and cleared. The trails were bush cleared throughout and some new logovers and obstacles added.

We had a nice time sat morning and enjoyed the signage, making easier to simply go and not worry about getting turned around, which is becoming less and less of an issue as our stamina gets better. It was nice to see another dozen riders or so out there... Seems to be catching on.

We ventured over to the eastern side of Springdale Rd for a bit, but the trail there is much more technical and proved to be to much for the 8yo. I will ride that with the 12yo sometime soon. I am worried about the big "Private Property Sign" just to the side of the trail and would really like to hear some yea/nay on if it is ok to ride their or not.

went out with oldest son and we had a blast , he enjoyed the deer and saw three woodchucks ... we where gonna go to the other side like every one spoke of but since we saw the signs and how everyone said that it was more of an advanced section we passed ..... hats off to those that put the trails together and the township for allowing it.

went out before the storm with my oldest and we decided since so many had spoken of the east side across springdale rd to try it , well my son slipped on some mud and while we were laughing and getting him straightened out a women on top of the hill asked me if I could read ! what part of private property didnt i get and how would i like her in my back yard and i think having my son with me made her let up , but she was really upset with us , does any one know if we really can or cant use that side of the trails.

went out before the storm with my oldest and we decided since so many had spoken of the east side across springdale rd to try it , well my son slipped on some mud and while we were laughing and getting him straightened out a women on top of the hill asked me if I could read ! what part of private property didnt i get and how would i like her in my back yard and i think having my son with me made her let up , but she was really upset with us , does any one know if we really can or cant use that side of the trails.

only been there a few times. but my understanding is the stuff across Spingdale is not JORBA approved. hit up the link, share your story there. I think Jay Jones is kinda running things, so maybe pose the question to him.

http://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=b483649e78596a8ef58227ececbeb5fd&eu=fLa67aBJzKU_lxX7ZHginA#!/groups/235319886563329/

thanks Mike , i went to the link and see that they have posted that it is at your own risk and that fish and game ? and cherry hill police can give trespassing summons for being there. A few of those i ran into on the trails said we could but i guess for now we cant , my oldest has his hands full and probably so do i on the township property so we so far have enough to handle ... thanks ! i am glad the group and the township have put these in , they are a great way to see the outdoors and get some exercise.

CCC has some kid friendly trails too. I take my 10 and 12 year olds there all the time. They've been riding there since they were 6 and 8.

Back
Top Bottom