Knee Pads Sizing Help

serviceguy

A small accident while attempting a wheelie in my driveway made me think that maybe I should be wearing some protection in addition to my helmet.

Since the part that hurts the most at this time is my left knee the obvious choice is a set of knee pads.

Not sure how sizing works though, measuring my tights 4" over the knee center I should be a medium, which is kind of bizarre because for anything wearable I am an XXL most of the time (5'11'' , 226 lbs).

It would probably make sense to visit the LBS but with my schedule that is almost as likely as a flying pig (which ironically is pretty much what you could have seen if you were near my driveway last Sunday while I was being ejected by my bike).

Any thoughts? As a brand I was thinking Seven or 661...

Do you have Amazon Prime? They sell fox and poc along with a few other name brands and you can't beat their return policy. Great for a home try-on. Or if you want, order 2 sizes and send one back.

For reference I'm 5'9, 165 and I wear a large. But every pad manufacturer is different

I have the G-Form knee pads and i love them... they're not bulky at all and i hardly notice i'm wearing them. i'm much smaller than you and usually wear a small, but i had to size up to a medium in these (thankfully other ladies my size warned me of the fit). i've had them almost two years now and they've saved my knees on a few occasions. i also have 661 knee pads and i went with my usual small. but they're bulky and i'm saving them for downhilling only.

and i agree with buying them from amazon since the return policy is awesome.

Troy Lee design, I have the t-bone and speed sleeve . My pride used to stop me from wearing them but numerous stem slams with the knee cap has me wearing them just about 100% of the time now

Love me some Race Face Ambush pads. A little bulky which is a good thing and the reason I wear them. Ive had 4 knee surgeries and my cartiledge is on the endangered list. I also enjoy going over the bars atleast once a week and bouncing right up. I have damn near mastered the front flip over the bars, land on helmet then knee pads.

Open back and velcro top and bottom which is money. They dont move an inch and super comfortable (all things considered).

Size large is borderine too small for me. 5'11" 190 lbs with larger legs. @serviceguy, no effin way a 5'11" 226 pounder should be wearing a medium anything (i used to be one). The size charts are bogus.

Thanks for the replies.

I am sure that the L/XL Fox ones would fit, the brands I was originally looking at come in 4 different sizes making the guesswork a little more complicated.

DJ (I hope you don't mind me shortening your nick, it just doesn't seem polite to someone trying to help you out , well...dirty jerz), those pads seems like they would be a good much. My ideal weight is in fact somewhere south of 190 and I do have rather muscular legs. How does the D30 work for you? does it go back 100% soft after hardening on impact as advertised?

Thanks for the replies.

I am sure that the L/XL Fox ones would fit, the brands I was originally looking at come in 4 different sizes making the guesswork a little more complicated.

DJ (I hope you don't mind me shortening your nick, it just doesn't seem polite to someone trying to help you out , well...dirty jerz), those pads seems like they would be a good much. My ideal weight is in fact somewhere south of 190 and I do have rather muscular legs. How does the D30 work for you? does it go back 100% soft after hardening on impact as advertised?
I really like the D3O pads. I dont think the transistion hard->soft is as noticable or dramatic as they make it out to be... it just plain works. The first time i went knee first into a 100 year old oak tree I was shocked how little I felt it. I think a lot of the benefit is being able to increase pad flexibility and limit volume as opposed to pads with a fixed hard shell that scream max protection.

There are two separate velcro straps on bottom and two additional on top. They do not slip at all... like not even a little.

The new Knee pads have arrived. Glad I ordered the XL too, thanks for the advice DJ. Love the fact you don't have to take your shoes off to put them on, that is a huge plus. I will have to see how they stay up, I always had issues wearing a knee brace due to my legs being seriously tapered (with my thighs being much bigger in proportion than the lower legs).

Back
Top Bottom