Kittatinny Valley State Park Conditions

SmooveP

Yep, conditions were great. Hit just about everything (I think) and went to Salt Gastropub afterwards. Perfect road trip.

avc8130

How does trail maintenance work at Kitattinny? There is a tree down on yellow by the lake, the trail is impassable on a bicycle. Do I call the ranger station? Bring a Stihl and "fix" it?

ac

Off The Road Again

Rode KVSP today, giving it a 2.5-3. Trails across parking lot going toward Needle Climb were pretty bad with mud, but able to skirt along sides so not to mess up trails. Main park had its share of mud, but again usually able to squeak by on the sides to avoid most of mud. I don't usually like to do that either since it makes the trail wider, leading to more erosion and water runoff. Overall, trails were in decent shape, probably could use a few more days to dry out. Although the mud was squishy and slick, it wasn't deep so any ruts were pretty minimal. Grass parking area was a total mud pit when we got there at 11, but when we left around 2 it was nearly completely dried up so that's a good sign.
Oh, and I did not seem to advance any skills riding in what mud I could not avoid.

littlev21

Rode KVSP today, giving it a 2.5-3. Trails across parking lot going toward Needle Climb were pretty bad with mud, but able to skirt along sides so not to mess up trails. Main park had its share of mud, but again usually able to squeak by on the sides to avoid most of mud. I don't usually like to do that either since it makes the trail wider, leading to more erosion and water runoff. Overall, trails were in decent shape, probably could use a few more days to dry out. Although the mud was squishy and slick, it wasn't deep so any ruts were pretty minimal. Grass parking area was a total mud pit when we got there at 11, but when we left around 2 it was nearly completely dried up so that's a good sign.
Oh, and I did not seem to advance any skills riding in what mud I could not avoid.
I don't usually like to do that..............except today when I just did not care.

xc62701

Let common sense be your guide. If you're trying to decide if your ruts are going to hurt the trail you should be on the road.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kvsp would not be a place I would ride yet from experience. Judging by how North is now in low flat areas would be a good indicator. Hopefully not too many riders there today. I was really bummed last time at deer park.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Kvsp would not be a place I would ride yet from experience. Judging by how North is now in low flat areas would be a good indicator. Hopefully not too many riders there today. I was really bummed last time at deer park.
All the local lots were mobbed yesterday at the height of the "grease" hour. Pop a Xanny and prepare yoself.......

njkayaker

I rode kvsp last night. it was surprisingly in very good shape. it wasn't soft or muddy. conditions more like early May.

Fat Trout

KVSP was in great shape on Friday Night.....aside from the stick I wrapped around in my derailleur. Limped home up the rail trail, but the park was fine. A little tacky in the areas that tend to be the wet spots but not really a problem.

avc8130

There's a tree down across Blue between the parking lot and the paved Yellow road. It's unpassable by anyone without significant trials skills. Is contacting the Ranger the proper procedure?

ac

njkayaker

First Bear encounter of the year for me. med sized. looked like he just woke up and wanted something to eat.

FitmanNJ

I rated Kittatinny a "3" for today, but other than some mildly wet spots, it's in very good shape (some erosion spots notwithstanding). By Friday or Saturday it should be a "4."

avc8130

Monday, February 20, 2017: conditions were TERRIBLE. Everything is sloppy mud and trails should be avoided to prevent significant trail damage.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Monday, February 20, 2017: conditions were TERRIBLE. Everything is sloppy mud and trails should be avoided to prevent significant trail damage.
Go one better and rate trail in trail conditions drop box. Thank you for being diligent with update.

Top Bottom