Kittatinny Valley State Park Conditions

jdgang

Rode there last night as well. Trails are prefect. I am part of that trail running group, normally we run in mooch north but we like to take the party on the road once in a while. :)

ryderX

Rode there last night as well. Trails are prefect. I am part of that trail running group, normally we run in mooch north but we like to take the party on the road once in a while. :)
I saw the running group last night. You guys get quite the turn out. Pretty impressive.

jdgang

70 showed up last night. I started with the group about 3 years ago and at that time it was only 25. Its a really good group we normally run out of the Salt parking lot. Which means we have to run back to the Salt parking lot....and Salt has beer so it all works out.

jdgang

Tuesday nights out of Salt Gastro Pub in Byram. 6pm meetup out on the trails by 615. We run on the Byram side of Mooch North. There is a "Salt Spur" that connects the PL of salt to the Teal Trail "Hell" of mooch north. So a typical run would be Salt Spur to Teal...Teal to railbed....railbed to white...white to teal...teal to red/teal...red/teal to teal....teal back to salt. 4.9 miles. As the days get longer so do our runs. We have all levels of runners as well. Usually we divide into 2 groups A and B.

http://www.saltshakersrun.com/

njkayaker

Blue trail over on the tower side of the park. great job whomever built the dirt ramp over the down tree. very nice! Thank you for your effort

njkayaker

this place gets crowded weeknights now. a little wet and muddy in spots. I remember not so long ago I could ride there and never see another person. miss that. doing more WMA\Mahlon weeknight rides now. empty and place to myself

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thinking about heading up to KSVP this weekend, haven't been there since January--can any of the locals give a conditions update or things to be aware of regarding expected conditions this weekend?

Thanks!!

Brian

jpn

watch out for the multi colored leaves on the trails and on falling from the trees; other than that should be great.

avc8130

Might be heading up there this weekend. Any updates on conditions?

I can't believe we even need a Kitattinny conditions thread. I ride here weekly and the conditions are always excellent.

The past few weekends the NJDOC has been out leaf-blowing the trails so they've been wicked fast.

Trails were great on Wednesday. Mostly still leaf-blown on the lake side. I had the fat bike but really the XC would have been a better choice.

ac

SmooveP

I can't believe we even need a Kitattinny conditions thread. I ride here weekly and the conditions are always excellent.

The past few weekends the NJDOC has been out leaf-blowing the trails so they've been wicked fast.

Trails were great on Wednesday. Mostly still leaf-blown on the lake side. I had the fat bike but really the XC would have been a better choice.

ac
Good to know. So this is one of those places that "drains well"?

ryderX

ac
There was a 1/2 marathon trail run there last weekend and the promoters did a great job with their leaf blowers. They used nearly every trail to get the 13.1 miles. It was pretty interesting running the trails that We've spent years riding, it definitely gives you a whole perspective of the park.

SmooveP

Keep heading west and visit Cindy and I in the Poconos. I'll be riding the cross bike for miles and miles of fire roads.
Not sure if that sounds like fun or not. Enjoy! Let me know if you want to ride during the week. Looks like I'll have some time off and the weather is looking good, at least for the first half of the week.

avc8130

Trails were GREAT today. Everything is still really clear from the half marathon. The only trail not clear is Yellow along the lake heading up to the tower. There's a tree down that's not really traverse-able on a bike (if someone does it I won't believe it without a video!).

ac

Top Bottom