Kittatinny History

Kaleidopete

Kittatinny Valley State Park is located off Route 206 in Andover, New Jersey. The park was formed in 1994.
Within the park's boundaries is a former YMCA Camp, known as Jersey Boys’ Camp at New Wawayanda.
It was on the shores of Slaters Lake (now Lake Aeroflex) that this camp was established in the summer of
1919, after relocating from Lake Wawayanda in Vernon Township, NJ. In 1954, the camp moved yet again to
Johnsonburg, NJ and later, to Frost Valley, New York. Along one of the park trails is the ruins of the Outpost
Memorial Lodge, built in 1947 to commemorate former campers who served in World War II. According to a
former camper, "There was an enclosed room in the NW corner, but the East side of the lodge was open."
If you visit and look at the outside corner near the fireplace, you can spot the cornerstone with "1947" etched into it.

49678671_1992313084197175_4672692743217086464_o.jpg

DownhillR3

Really cool, would love to see what they full camp layout looked like.

Want to hear more history on all our local state parks!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Memorial Lodge is just a blur as I pass it cross eyed while racing the Bulldog Romp every year.

Kaleidopete

Lake Aeroflex is the deepest natural glacial lake in the state. At 119 acres, its deepest point is 110 feet.
The lake, historically known as New Wawayanda Lake beginning in the 1920s, was formed as the
Wisconsin Glacier began slowly retreating from the area approximately 13,000 years ago

49641324_1993830944045389_5551042181206114304_o.jpg

Last edited:

Mildly Wild

Kittatinny Valley State Park is located off Route 206 in Andover, New Jersey. The park was formed in 1994.
Within the park's boundaries is a former YMCA Camp, known as Jersey Boys’ Camp at New Wawayanda.
It was on the shores of Slaters Lake (now Lake Aeroflex) that this camp was established in the summer of
1919, after relocating from Lake Wawayanda in Vernon Township, NJ. In 1954, the camp moved yet again to
Johnsonburg, NJ and later, to Frost Valley, New York. Along one of the park trails is the ruins of the Outpost
Memorial Lodge, built in 1947 to commemorate former campers who served in World War II. According to a
former camper, "There was an enclosed room in the NW corner, but the East side of the lodge was open."
If you visit and look at the outside corner near the fireplace, you can spot the cornerstone with "1947" etched into it.

View attachment 84805
I've ridden KVSP dozens of times. Thought I knew the park completely but never saw this structure. What trail is this located on?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Pete, never knew this history. Which is odd as I went to Frost Valley for years.

It explains SO MUCH about Frost Valley regarding the campsites, songs, etc.

mwlikesbikes

Cool stuff. Anyone know the story behind the fenced off hole that’s off the double track on the red trail I believe? It looks like a cave or mine shaft that full of water.

Kaleidopete

Thanks for sharing this Pete-
Super cool to know the history.

I downloaded the map, but its a little blurry when I zoom in- any chance you have a higher res scan or can point me to the source?
Thanks!
That's the best I got, photo from my book called Build Strong the history of camp wawayanda / frost valley ymca. A great book by the way.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's the best I got, photo from my book called Build Strong the history of camp wawayanda / frost valley ymca. A great book by the way.
Gotcha-
I tried a googly search, and looks like there’s lots of images on the digitalcommonwealth site
B402F2B0-7110-4253-B2D4-5891DBDE803E.jpeg

Top Bottom