Keto

Oh I get it. I love apples and fruit. This guy is a cyclist at heart. He actually believes walking and weight lifting is ideal for longevity vs. endurance sports. However he has said he will never give up god bike. For that reason alone I can get down with his blog. I think this is pretty interesting test he he did.

http://eatingacademy.com/personal/experience-exogenous-ketones

Interesting link. I was wondering how terrible ketone esters would taste - cyclic ketones like carvone (main component of spearmint oil) taste good in very small quantities but trying to consume short-chain esters in 20-40 g levels in a single dose sounds horrible.

Skip breakfast for an offset of cost:D
do you guys employ any cheat days once a week? It seems more difficult than I thought to eat so much fatty food per day in vegetable/oil/butter/meat/cheese that I've already lost 8 pounds in a week. Hopefully this is mostly related to fat processing as I haven't gone over 35g carbs so far and can certainly stand to lose 20lbs easy from the waist. Going to do a ride today with some pre/post carbs that will put me in the 50 to 70g range on the day but expecting that 3 hours of cycling will quickly negate that.

and of course avocados are now like $2 a piece, thats bs
presently, Lots of stores seem to sell the organic ones a bit cheeper at 3/$5, so check out the prices of the organic avocados. Also, Trader Joe's has bags of 4 avocados for $2.99 or $3.99, although they are small ones.

do you guys employ any cheat days once a week? It seems more difficult than I thought to eat so much fatty food per day in vegetable/oil/butter/meat/cheese that I've already lost 8 pounds in a week. Hopefully this is mostly related to fat processing as I haven't gone over 35g carbs so far and can certainly stand to lose 20lbs easy from the waist. Going to do a ride today with some pre/post carbs that will put me in the 50 to 70g range on the day but expecting that 3 hours of cycling will quickly negate that.
I don't. It seems like a slippery slope to me. I stay around 20g a day every day.

I'm like Luke. To satisfy my sweet tooth I make avocado cocoa balls. Easy asf to do.

A true Keto diet is all or nothing. IMO it's the biggest issue is people finding it hard to stay in compliance and people not knowing their real ketone numbers. If you incorporate a cheat day how do you know you kicked yourself out of Ketosis if you don't know you are in it in the first place? Exogenous ketones maybe help jump starting you back again. I don't know without knowing your numbers.

Last edited:
I'm like Luke. To satisfy my sweet tooth I make avocado cocoa balls. Easy asf to do.

A true Keto diet is all or nothing. IMO it's the biggest issue for people find it hard to comply and people not knowing their real ketone numbers. If you incorporate a cheat day how do you know you kicked yourself out of Ketosis if you don't know you are in it in the first place? Exogenous ketones maybe help jump starting you back again. I don't know without knowing your numbers.

Ya exactly. Cheating once a week is a surefire way to basically render the diet useless.
Once in a while my "cheat" days are when I pig out on too much food (like costco parmesian crisps!) and then eat a half a container of low carb ice cream. I might hit 40 on those days.

Ya exactly. Cheating once a week is a surefire way to basically render the diet useless.
Once in a while my "cheat" days are when I pig out on too much food (like costco parmesian crisps!) and then eat a half a container of low carb ice cream. I might hit 40 on those days.
Do you know your ketone numbers? Or what's the most effective/easy way without a blood test?

Do you know your ketone numbers? Or what's the most effective/easy way without a blood test?
Aceto breathe- true but not a good measure. If your cruising around in Ketosis you will know when you kick yourself out. That was my experience before I bought the strips at least.

I know my numbers are high being that I haven't eaten since Sunday night.

Ya same here. Breath and energy level for me. I've never tested.
I ate maybe 800 calories today and I'm not hungry. So I'll just go to bed and have lunch tomorrow.

Tally for today: coffee, hard boiled egg, anti pasta salad, small piece of chicken with cheese, some almonds, two glasses of wine and a martini. Net carb estimate is 15g, seem reasonable? So far I haven't been tired or hungry, just snacking throughout the day.

The secret of long life is smoke heavily and eat Indonesian food.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39768321

_91056330_mbah1.jpg

@Blair about oils. Look for high smoke point oils to cook with and low smoke point oils to take cold. I was always cooking with Olive oil but have since migrated to palm oil or butter. Kerry gold is your freind. I don't believe Luke will disagree being that it's Pure Irish, lol.

I've really taken a liking to cooking. It's been a let success factor of mine in regards to the whole Keto thing.

With all this going on I have a doctors appointment in a couple of weeks which he will be checking my cholesterol. This is a concern of mine.

Last edited:
Wait peanut butter good or bad? I can pretty much do a diet like this and if PB is good then I can really get In!

Almond butter preferred but peanut butter at a limit is always better imo.
I did two servings of peanut butter which is 4 tablespoons worth for 6g carbs. On the full day I was still at 20g in total.

I get my annual blood test in august so I'm going to ask about checking ketones also.

Some people break record running 26 miles on flat pavement and others break records running 100 miles thru mountains. Waste of time? Forward to minute 3

@fidodie :p

5'9" 135 - taps into his fat storage.......

Imma gunna try some advocado with almond butter and coconut. just cause it sounds good.

5'9" 135 - taps into his fat storage.......

Imma gunna try some advocado with almond butter and coconut. just cause it sounds good.
Man where's @axcxnj telling this guy he'd be faster if he just ran with a 5 pound bag of sugar instead? Dudeman must be crazy eating food that wasn't made in a factory and is sold in packaging.
I also was just on that exact trail last week. The top of his run is where my last rock climb was. Neat.

Back
Top Bottom