Jshort’s bike thread

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
bro, what pressure/tire widths where you running? it really is a fine line with the rigid up front. i also have always ran a MINIMUM of 2.3 up front. I think I ran a 2.4 ardent with 18-20psi and it was a good combination.

if you aren't used to riding rigid hard and racing it, its going to be messy. miss you.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
bro, what pressure/tire widths where you running? it really is a fine line with the rigid up front. i also have always ran a MINIMUM of 2.3 up front. I think I ran a 2.4 ardent with 18-20psi and it was a good combination.

if you aren't used to riding rigid hard and racing it, its going to be messy. miss you.

Ralph's front and rear
2.35 front with 20 psi.
2.25 rear with 22 psi.

Tires were good. PSI was way too high though.

XOXOXO

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Ralph's front and rear
2.35 front with 20 psi.
2.25 rear with 22 psi.

Tires were good. PSI was way too high though.

XOXOXO
I ran Maxxis Aspen 2.2s on valors at 24/25. Rigid is super fast but it will punish every poor move you make. I really enjoy rigid because it teaches you to ride smoother which is generally more efficient.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
STFU. you done have kids and really don’t have any experience in this. ;)

I remember the last All-A-Muchy race where I had some absurd kid's song running through my head for every 1 of the 50k that I rode that day.

But Baby Shark is awesome.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I weigh 170 though.

Rigid is fine. I just prefer suspension. Considering 99.99% of xc racers use some sort of suspension, it seems like the way to go.
Correct, but 99.9% of xc courses have some sort of gnar. The only gnar at Mayhem was the staircase. But, some courses are faster on fs, some on hardtail with fork and some on rigid. Truthfully, weight doesn’t matter on a course like this. It’s down to who has the bigger engine. Cr and ringwood are definitely fs courses.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
STFU. you done have kids and really don’t have any experience in this. ;)

Truth. Our 2 year old can instruct Alexa to play Baby Shark at will.

I've been riding my CX bike on trails a lot over the past couple years With a modern CX bike--40c's, disc brakes--it makes riding old trails fun again. I've even considered putting a little dropper post on the CX bike. Just as @Dave Taylor says, it makes you smoother but punishes you if you eff up. Riding the drop bar CX bike with barely wide enough tires got me thinking about how a fully rigid carbon sled with proper MTB tires would be moar betterer.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING

I've been riding my CX bike on trails a lot over the past couple years With a modern CX bike--40c's, disc brakes--it makes riding old trails fun again. I've even considered putting a little dropper post on the CX bike. Just as @Dave Taylor says, it makes you smoother but punishes you if you eff up. Riding the drop bar CX bike with barely wide enough tires got me thinking about how a fully rigid carbon sled with proper MTB tires would be moar betterer.
You have the right mentality. Do it. I love mine, need to find another rigid fork doe

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

I’m racing rigid gears at the stoopid 50 sunday.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Been on a beer hiatus for the most part but when my wife surprises me with new drink ware I make an exception.
I didn’t have the ❤️ to tell her these are pilsner glasses and I’d prefer an ale glass.
388DA68A-97B7-44A8-9E02-BCB58F92E661.jpeg
3DE1D679-BB9E-49BC-BAEF-5E84DBE81F90.jpeg

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Short Track = Short Recap

Great day. Even though it rained on us most of the race, and the second half it got a little sloppy, it was still an awesome race. I've done enough of these to know the start is huge. This is bcause passing is tough so if you are near the front you avoid a lot of bottlenecks and slow downs which in turn cost you time to the leaders.
I let it all hang at the start, protected a spot near the front and went into the ST around 5th or 6th. This was a good move because evn though I didnt have the energy to maintain, I looked behind when going up the switchbacks and saw a little carnage.
I made a few passes and found my way into 3rd, but with the 2nd and 1st way out of sight. I think I held onto 3rd for a lap or 2 until Utah got his shit together and rolled up. I waved him by and then a lap later I let Vic (@Superfly100guy ) pass too.
With a lap to go i saw that teal rigid trek coming up and knew @pooriggy would LOVE to pass me. At this point I was a little recovered having let Vic go and just settling in. When i got to the switchbacks I snuck a peak and saw iggy making up some ground. So once I got the little hill after the mud pit, i drilled it and opened up a comfortable lead. I cruised through the rock garden and then overt the bridge to finish in the 5th spot. Not bad, not great. Would have been cool to finish n 3rd, but i didnt have much in me this weekend.

dsc_8323-ANIMATION.gif

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I cruised through the rock garden and then overt the bridge to finish in the 5th spot. Not bad, not great. Would have been cool to finish n 3rd,
Too bad we only had one of these. Racing is always hard but compared to Mayhem last week, Short Track is short, fast and sweet.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I didnt roll up...in strava suffer score terms...that was a "MONUMENTAL" effort to catch you and vic. I was thinking about it...im wondering if it might have been a disadvantage to you having to try and match the pace of Roger and Nick for the first few laps....vs me sort of setting my own pace.

@Pearl we used the split on the upper section for this race...at one point....vic and I went left, @pooriggy went right and we almost had this sweet 3 car pile up at the end.

Top Bottom