Statements on Watchung Reservation Vote

thegock

Guys, keep in mind, with the stroke of a pen (and 5 votes) the Freeholders could change/write a new ordinance that simply says, "No Mountain Biking in Union County Parks" so I think obsessing about the crappy old ordinances is a waste of energy. Stay tuned...

Also, stay positive and constructive on this forum. I lose patience at times with the lies of the opposition, but try to do so over a beer, not where it can be used to attack access.

#freeWatchung

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Curious how the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach would work?

3 freeholder seats come up every year for reelection. in 2015, it only took 29,636 votes to get elected and there was only a 5,365 vote margin between the 3rd and 4th place candidates. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to get out the vote and grab a seat in a year without a big national election driving voter turnout. Anybody want to run for public office? Or we do like the rest of our democracy and start funding reelection campaigns...those who understand that mountain biking is actually an asset to the community.

TheLonerider

Support the positive sentiment but after three years of being lied to I cannot ever trust union co gov't about anything ever again. I am not even sure where or how I would be able to begin critically evaluating the credibility of anything they say going forward.

I think we're all disappointed but maybe we should shift focus of this discussion to the other proposed possible sites in UC that may incorporate mountain biking. I honestly thing we truly need more people, if 700 bikers showed up at the meetings it would have made quite an impression. Now that there's signs up saying no mtb there it's drawing attention to everyone even those that don't even know it exists that it's illegal there, maybe that new awareness can be used to bring out budding mtber's and also those that don't have any clue about the politics involved to GET involved with this? I was upset, I was angry about the decision but I try to hear all sides and sure mtb use has impact as do other activities but since we're the new kids on the block I guess we take a backseat to other trail uses. In Florida where I vacation there are many parks with mtb trails that DO NOT allow walkers or horses, not that I've ever seen an mtb user get upset with a hiker but the trails are just so rolling and steep it's nearly impossible to walk on them anyways. Being into mtb's since the early 90's I can at least say things have gotten MUCH better than they were, not just access but the quality of the trails as well. So does anyone know the other possibilities in UC for mtb access?

slushdog

Mountain bikers move away and erode UC's tax base! Lol. Just kidding and I like the idea that someone posted earlier that mtbers should think about running for freeholder of UC.

TheLonerider

The real thing is long term change. Since the county won't even admit the ban is sketchy and wrong, how were we supposed to work with them? If you can't even agree on what happened how can you agree on what to do going forward?

Between the make believe about the history of the ban and the misinformation about the practical aspects of mt biking, it was a stacked deck. With a county that kept its word all of that would be irrelevant, but to keep its word it would have to really mean it, and the first step of that would be admitting the ban is sketchy and wrong.

TheLonerider

So does anyone know the other possibilities in UC for mtb access?

Other sites have been mentioned but they are all smaller than Watchung. If the anti-bike crowd made the argument "this park ain't big enuff for the both of us" stick with regard to Watchung, how are we to counter such nonsense at an even smaller venue?

Of course they also said Watchung was unique, so theoretically they shouldn't use any of the same objections to other venues... but then again theoretically, the county also already approved the mtb trail plan and paid for it, so...

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I just received my sample ballot for the June 6th primary election.

I see Estrada and Hudak are up for a vote, those two where for mtbing, so they have my vote.
Angela Garretson is up for a vote as well, she is currently not a Freeholder but the mayor of Hillside. Does anyone know her stance on Mtbing?

Also, looking at how the vote went I wonder if it's a coincidence that the two out of three that voted for mtbing are up for re election. One could surmise that to make sure everyone gets re elected the Freeholders agreed how to vote on the issue to ensure they all win.

Shorepoints

I see Estrada and Hudak are up for a vote, those two where for mtbing, so they have my vote.
Angela Garretson is up for a vote as well, she is currently not a Freeholder but the mayor of Hillside. Does anyone know her stance on Mtbing?

Also, looking at how the vote went I wonder if it's a coincidence that the two out of three that voted for mtbing are up for re election. One could surmise that to make sure everyone gets re elected the Freeholders agreed how to vote on the issue to ensure they all win.

Chris, Garretson is the "replacement" for Vernell Wright (voted against MTB), who is retiring. Don't know her stance. Probably doesn't have one yet. Doesn't hurt to e-mail her and ask.

rxpxskier

Glad to be moving out of union county...no more tax dollars to UC for me. I happened to bump into my mayor (summit) and asked how she felt about hurting a local business (hilltop) and she just blankly stared and moved on...

Shorepoints

Glad to be moving out of union county...no more tax dollars to UC for me. I happened to bump into my mayor (summit) and asked how she felt about hurting a local business (hilltop) and she just blankly stared and moved on...
Summit mayor actually spoke in support of a MTB-friendly compromise at the freeholder meeting, so she is not the problem. She may very well be part of the solution as we scout other potential UC sites. She has actually been one of the only people in power who has communicated with JORBA openly and reliably.

Shorepoints

Any MTB riders from Hillside on here (or know of any) who want to contact Mayor Garretson (freeholder candidate) and ask her opinion on legalizing MTB in the county? I'm sure there are some riders from Hillside. The change.org petition had a few.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Summit mayor actually spoke in support of a MTB-friendly compromise at the freeholder meeting, so she is not the problem. She may very well be part of the solution as we scout other potential UC sites. She has actually been one of the only people in power who has communicated with JORBA openly and reliably.

Except she switched sides from anti bike to pro bike after she knew the vote was going to ditch trail access and it wouldn't hurt her campaign donations from the folks on Oak Ridge. She's a politician just like the rest of them and her story is different for every person standing in front of her.

TheLonerider

I am seriously thinking about voting AGAINST the freeholders on ballot, even though some of them supported mt biking at the vote, just because they are part of the same system and party, to send a message that we need to clean house like Hercules washing out the agean stables.

Shorepoints

Except she switched sides from anti bike to pro bike after she knew the vote was going to ditch trail access and it wouldn't hurt her campaign donations from the folks on Oak Ridge. She's a politician just like the rest of them and her story is different for every person standing in front of her.
You may be right, Jim, but if you think we can get legal MTB access in Union County then we will have to play as political a game as the rest of 'em. It's the nature of the beast.

Shorepoints

I am seriously thinking about voting AGAINST the freeholders on ballot, even though some of them supported mt biking at the vote, just because they are part of the same system and party, to send a message that we need to clean house like Hercules washing out the agean stables.
It's a numbers game. Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 6.13.28 PM.png

Anthony Livelli

now we are on to something

Top Bottom