Jonathan woods

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What is Jonathan woods in denville like? It's only a min bike ride away from my house.

I ride there often, mainly as a cut though on my way to either the Tourne or split rock. I would say that it isn't a destination park, in that I wouldnt drive my car there with my bike, but it has a decent stuff to ride on. Mostly double track. If you live right near by, check it out. The trails vary from rocky quad trails, to short bits of single track.

JerseyPete

I drive along Old Beach Glen Rd. What is with all the clear cutting? I saw piles of logs and piles of sawdust.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I drive along Old Beach Glen Rd. What is with all the clear cutting? I saw piles of logs and piles of sawdust.

I don't know all of the details, but looks like they are clearing out all of the downed pines caused by the hurricane.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Trail conditions

What is your opinion on the condition of the trail network in Jonathan Woods?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm,

I ride there somewhat often, usually on my way to either split rock or the tourne.

The red trail has some really bad sections. The stream bed is a complete mess and the reroute is ok, but could use some work. Quads has obviously done quite a bit of damage. the trail that leads down to cedar lake is also a complete mess.

Is there any work that can be done in this park?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What Utah said. I thought it was primarily POWWW maintained? The place certainly has the potential for some good stuff.

smackey

I ride there often as it's in my "backyard". I also use it as a cut through to Wildcat. It's small but fun when I don't have a lot of time. I like the trail network and agree that quads have really beat up some trails. My fear about trail maintenance is that the quads would destroy what was maintained. The red trail could use some work and I have never successfully found the re-route - I find it hard to follow.

What is best - trying to keep the quads out or educating them?

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
POWWW preserved the property and were the stewards until taken over by the MCPC.* Early on JORBA tried to encourage the development of a trail plan, but it was dismissed.* We don't have the resources (volunteer base) to execute anyway.
I am very disappointed with the condition of the trails. Many trails are blocked by downfall, and as a result the atv use has created multiple paths and erosion.
The MCPC has the resources to at the very least, remove the downfall and use it wisely to define a trail corridor. This however will not happen unless we express our disappointed with the current conditions.* If you agree then please consider sending an email to:
Info@morrisparks.net

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I second the motion....

Pretty much what Utah said. There is certainly potential but even as a "connector" park there are some areas that could use some TLC. Some specific areas
1. Downfall from Ford road up to stream crossing
2. Reroute from stream is great for trials practice but could be made more rideable
3. Basically 2 trails to connect to Cedar lake. Route through Hog's pen has seen significant quad use. The other has downfall and severe erosion on old use DT.
4. The trail parallel to E. Glenn in Cedar lake is over grown in areas, down fall and multiple routes due to quad use.

The newer ST in Muriel Hepner is short and sweet. The scouts have nearly completed the bridges along the pond shore as well.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
POWWW is inviting friends of Jonathan Woods to help with the replanting of various native species at the pines on Saturday October 17th, from 8-12. Meet at the parking area off old beach glen road. This is a good opportunity to help out and discuss trail conditions with members of POWWW who work with the MCPC on stewardship here....Bring the kids.

I rode here on Saturday. It's good for about about 60-90 minutes of riding. The pine tree trail off of Old Beach Glen needs the help of a large chainsaw. It's fun back there. You can ride from Tourne to Hepner to Jonathan's Woods to Wildcat in a heartbeat. JW needs a good once-over by a trail maintenance war party.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode here on Saturday. It's good for about about 60-90 minutes of riding. The pine tree trail off of Old Beach Glen needs the help of a large chainsaw. It's fun back there. You can ride from Tourne to Hepner to Jonathan's Woods to Wildcat in a heartbeat. JW needs a good once-over by a trail maintenance war party.

Liked for "war party" :gangster:

Top Bottom