John A. Phillips Park/Land Preserve

at the end of Maple Street in Old Bridge (the cross road of rt 18 where the wawa resides).

mainly flat terrain, some roots and such. There are more trails than the ones listed to the right of the trail head behind the soccer and baseball fields and a nice little whoopie straight away in between the parking lot and the jogging path... but I digress. Great for beginners. Probably not as fun as the other parks but if you're in the Old Bridge area, it's good to get the blood flowing.

I took the pleasant valley trail up to - but not across - pleasant valley road, the blueberry flats and the pine glenn spur tonight on my 9-10pm ride with my new headlight... it was a lot of fun. This is the first trail network I ever rode with my bike so it holds a place in my heart :eek:

http://www.co.middlesex.nj.us/parksrecreation/Phillips Preserve Trail Map.pdf

Just found out about this place today. Its just a short drive in the car, and if I really wanted to I can actually ride my bike to the trail that crosses pleasant valley rode.
There is maybe 5 miles of trails. I didnt do all of them today. Its very flat and the trails are covered with pine needles (smells nice) and there are a few bridges that are not real bike friendly.

Since it is so close, I will probably ride there more often. Driving to all these fun places is getting costly :( This small park can be a fun hour or two to just ride and enjoy nature (and burn calories). I am pretty much happy as long as I am riding in the woods. Doesnt matter if I have to loop things repeatedly.

Took a short cheesy video, will have it up later.

hmmmm - AM - how does it compare to say...clayton - might be a good place for my kids and i?

:hysterica
opposite ends of the spectrum.

The JAPP park (as its now called in my house) is very flat. No rocks. No logs. Well, there was one...a couple roots LOL. few small woopdedoos. We only did a small section though as we spent a while just LOOKING for the trail head. We had seen a couple trails going off in the woods and explored them...do not go there! UGH. Coming out of one of those trails is when we found the "proper" trail head.

When you park and are facing the playground area, the trail head is on the right across the field. The paved path goes past it. There is a trail board there. I dont suggest taking the young ones on any trail that doesnt have a marker.

It would be swell for young ones. You may have to help them get the bikes over the bridges.

Just an update:
The "white" trail intersects with pleasant valley road. Today Barry and I rode the section that is on the opposite side from the park....did that make sense? LOL

I was mildly surprised that the trail was in good shape even with all the rain. It is VERY sandy. We didnt ride that whole section, just on small loop in it, but there were only 2 puddles.

Some sections of this park look like they will drain very well, other sections (by the unfriendly bridges) look like they will get positively slippery and mushy when it rains.

i've become very well versed in these trails and can pretty much tell you which ways to go for the best ride possible.

start off at the trail head and head into the trail, take the first left into the small yellow trail and follow that through the numbers. once you get to 8 you're back on the main trail from the trail head, make a right onto the white trail, go over the bridge. follow the white trail until you see the orange trail entrance, take that, go over the next bridge and head left. follow the orange loop (2 marshy areas) around until you see the entrance to the green trail (which intersects the beginning of the orange trail if you headed right around the loop) go over that bridge and ride the slight incline and then you'll reach a few little swoopy areas and a long ladder bridge. cross that and head to the right. follow that out to pleasant valley, make a right on pleasant valley (do NOT continue on the green trail, it leads to nothing but mud and swamp across pleasant valley), make a left onto the white trail, follow that straight, past the first right turn. you'll pass the ending of the green trail on the left, keep going straight, it'll hook to the right. follow that until you get past the loose sand, hook right and you'll wind up turning left, leaving the sand pit to your right and you can follow a nice little loop around there (maybe another mile of trail or so). when you exit that loop (if done properly) it'll put you back on the white trail headed back the way you came. if you hook left you can take the short cut past the sand pit.

that seems to be the best way to ride phillips park. if you take the white trail out to pleasant valley you have to fight the quicksand staircase (those of you who have been there know what i mean). following the green trail after pleasant valley, again, is all swamp and mud. there are secret trails on the green trail (and if you're not careful you'll get sucked into the secret trail) that lead to route 18. across pleasant valley, if you follow the white trail past the green trail ending, hook right go straight and then hook left there's a secret trail that leads to greystone and then there are trails past there as well but last i checked there were trees there to block that path. in the inner white trail loop there's another secret trail that leads to some muddy land and i think some guys back yard o_O. i haven't been over there in a while... i just follow that little network and it's a good ride. double back the same way and the incline on the green trail becomes a real nice fast trail that you can get some speed on, cross the bridge, circle back around the orange trail - which rides differently in both directions - or just hook left and get back to the white trail, hang right and exit... it's not the most fun you'll ever experience but it's a good workout. there are secret trails everywhere but they lead to mostly swampy areas or thorns...

i've been riding in frost woods a lot this season. it's about a 4.5-5 mile ride from phillips park (it starts at the back of the office complex at the corner of summerhill rd and old stage road in spotswood across from the 711) someone really cleaned it up a bunch, added some ladder bridges and a big drop (don't chance the drop!). it's good to kill some more hours and the uphill climbs are really intense compared to phillips park... i'm sure they don't hold a candle to clayton, hartshorne, etc but for local parks, they are okay. thompson park in jamesburg has a nice trail network behind the dog park (by monroe twp highschool) as well :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom