JimVreeland: Fat Pursuit: Watch the dot

oobaa47

The guy that was in third just posted.....He said the top two guys and himself turned back towards the start at around 130 miles short of check point one.......It was -40 with strong winds!! My God...

Rdoonz

The guy that was in third just posted.....He said the top two guys and himself turned back towards the start at around 130 miles short of check point one.......It was -40 with strong winds!! My God...
The conditions as described are just ungodly. It must be an unbelievably difficult decision to bail on a race like this after all the time and effort to prepare and just get to the starting line. But given the choice between not finishing and not living....well there really is no choice at all, live to ride another day.

Mad respect to everyone that toed the starting line and gave it their best

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Thanks for following along. It was absolutely brutal. Overnight was -40 degrees actual temp, it shut many people down pretty early on. I pushed through the night, hoping it would get betyer. Wore every piece of clothing I owned out there!! I fell asleep on the bike and crashed. Tried to Bivy but my setup isn't designed for those temps.

I made it basically to CP1 but made a left towards the lodge instead. JayP actually sent people out on snowmobiles to rescue those in need. He thought I was dead after my Spot fritzed out.

Got to the lodge at Noon. 17 hours to cover 80 miles. All of my electronics froze and died so I have no pics. My Garmin of all things made it though. WTF?

Will write a tale of woes for my thread.

PS. The candy was something we had to get to prove we hiked down to Mesa Falls. Another reason my tracker was stopped.

oobaa47

Good to hear you're alright, that was rather stressful.....And to think, I just did a quick spin in one inch of snow while it was 20 degrees out, probably the coldest I've ever ridden in, lol........which was 60 degrees warmer than your epic ride!!!!! I can't even comprehend what it must be like in those temperatures.......

bigW

The difference is what gets you. It was 60 degrees here when I left and -36 in Yellowstone. that's a 96 degree swing!! Think about the difference in clothing just between 60 and 30.

Having all your fingers and toes is good news as well. F'ing sick conditions.

Top Bottom