Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Three Hundo K prep. Basically exactly the same as my 200k setup just with slightly larger bags and a headlight. Mandatory unmanned Controls tomorrow so I'm not expecting a particularly fast day, be lucky to get in under 12 hours. There's a good group pre-reg'd though so I'll have company up front.

IMG_20190510_195733_734.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Pinelands Three Hundo, M'Kay.

Good day out there today. Did the things I normally do. Pull from the gun to drag out players, pick players off to find who's a contender, try to break contender.

With my Swedish Meatball friend Frederik in the break, I could skip step 2 and 3.

There was also a pretty bad crash early on that put a guy in the hospital and another home for the day. A third was injured but carried on at a slower pace. Avoiding these are why I usually put in the effort to ride up front where it's safe. Anywhoo...

Frederik and I took 5 mile pulls all day long. Super steady 20+ MPH average. No one tried to make it harder, we just rode clean and smooth all day.

The non-manned Controls shot the hopes of a sub 10-hour day, even though our pace would've easily put us there. We did shave 3 hours and 11 minutes off the old course record but this is only a second year Brevet.

Felt good all day. Like I was out for a normal ride. The Tarmac continues to impress, it can do no wrong. More comfy than any steel bike even with 60mm carbon wheels. Newer is actually faster, and lighter, and better, it's not just a sales pitch...

jim.vreeland-1557610243103.jpg
IMG_20190511_162036_239.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Fo' Hundo Kay coming up.

I'm volunteering to work the Wildwood 400k which gives me an opportunity to pre-ride the course ahead of time and still get credit. An advantage to going this route is a later start time and no Brevet Card. Basically the same as doing an EPP Perm. Also means I can ride the course at a tad slower average speed and still run an overall faster time. Should be a good time and I'll also have an opportunity to give back to the club a bit.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So what does volunteering mean? just sweep up the mess?

are these self-supported with the ability to use any local resources along the route?
Or are there designated drops, so you have your peanut M&Ms already to eat, rather than purchasing on location???

Steve Vai

So what does volunteering mean? just sweep up the mess?

are these self-supported with the ability to use any local resources along the route?
Or are there designated drops, so you have your peanut M&Ms already to eat, rather than purchasing on location???

Many of the NJ Events have Volunteers at each Control to sign cards and fill water bottles so you don't have to go into the store and buy anything. Some of them are self-supported. Some have Volunteers at key Controls. It's just modernizing the discipline to get more folks to try longer distance events that normally wouldn't.

The Kalmyk

Pinelands Three Hundo, M'Kay.

Good day out there today. Did the things I normally do. Pull from the gun to drag out players, pick players off to find who's a contender, try to break contender.

With my Swedish Meatball friend Frederik in the break, I could skip step 2 and 3.

There was also a pretty bad crash early on that put a guy in the hospital and another home for the day. A third was injured but carried on at a slower pace. Avoiding these are why I usually put in the effort to ride up front where it's safe. Anywhoo...

Frederik and I took 5 mile pulls all day long. Super steady 20+ MPH average. No one tried to make it harder, we just rode clean and smooth all day.

The non-manned Controls shot the hopes of a sub 10-hour day, even though our pace would've easily put us there. We did shave 3 hours and 11 minutes off the old course record but this is only a second year Brevet.

Felt good all day. Like I was out for a normal ride. The Tarmac continues to impress, it can do no wrong. More comfy than any steel bike even with 60mm carbon wheels. Newer is actually faster, and lighter, and better, it's not just a sales pitch...

View attachment 95073View attachment 95074

Beast!!!!

They could pull out the secret control a bit more.

Steve Vai

Would you say it’s better than the 520?

The 5 and 8 series don't compete against each other, the 8 is a higher end unit. When I downgraded from the 810 to 520 I thought I would be OK with losing the Touchscreen but it turns out I used it much more than I thought. With the touchscreen it's a lot easier to scroll around, zoom in, or change data fields on the fly. It's also possible to wake up the unit with a simple tap on the screen. Super valuable feature during night hours.

Top Bottom