Going Long and Hard.

Once my traveling season is done in a couple weeks ill have more time to play bicycle cycles

Spare time has been few and far between lately, so i get more out of a long run than a really short bike ride

Trying to decide new fat wheels vs second mtb

CRABON

IMG_20161107_181030.jpg

Complaint Department

any more pics of how the horseshoe venue looks? would be interesting to see!

I only took the one shot. They cleaned it all out, built a gravel trail, put in benches and dog poop things. They built a parking lot up near the barn behind the pond. I'll post a before/after.

15219473_586385174819688_7412812793717144130_n.jpg

Current conditions at the Fat Pursuit. I've been kinda quiet about my prep this year but have no fear, I've been prepping. Trip is booked. Gear testing will commence next week. Small changes as I've got most of this worked out from doing it a few times. With no ITI this year 100% of my focus is on completing Jay's.

With snow the D&L Fat Epic 400K will also become a qualifier so that'll help with my ITI resume. At this point I assume I'm not getting off the waitlist for the ITI350, but if I do, the Fat Epic will have me in peak form for it.

See ya'll out there. Somewhere.

Jim, could you please elaborate on your winter cycling attire? I'm talkin 30's and below. I know you are using a pair of Wolvhammer boots, I'm mostly curious about bibs/padding, and all those lycra layers... just what works for you. I tried a pair of padded shorts, with a unpadded winter tight over, it never really settled. Just tore the zipper on my go-to wind/cold bibs today, so I'm looking for a replacement. Please and thank you!

I might not be the best guy to answer that. I run about 20 degrees off from everyone else. I'm still wearing shorts and knee warmers this time of year, even yesterday on the beach.

I only ever wear 2 layers. On the coldest days I'll wear the lightest bib tights with a shell over them. Specialized Deflect H20 shell, Castelli Nano bibs to be exact. Colder than that I have a pair of Specialized 686 pants. Basically the same setup on top. Castelli windstop LS base and an Outdoor Research rain shell. I have a 686 jacket as well but it's just for when I stop and need an extra shell.

I don't wear gloves until it's under 30. I did wear Defrosters today but yesterday I wore my normal S-Works MTB shoes.

IMG_20161206_194157.jpg

Gear testing phase, begin.

IMG_20161208_102225.jpg

Currently running the new Specialized Burra handlebar harness (which is amazingly dope) and a lighter weight Specialized Pogie. The 45nrth Pogies were cool but too warm for me. I sweat so bad in them my hands got pruny. These are about 1/2 the weight. Actual weight and also warmth wise. And real talk, 100mm wheels!!?? I don't think I'm ever going back. So much beast mode.

#makefatbikesfatagain

View attachment 44396

Gear testing phase, begin.

View attachment 44397

Currently running the new Specialized Burra handlebar harness (which is amazingly dope) and a lighter weight Specialized Pogie. The 45nrth Pogies were cool but too warm for me. I sweat so bad in them my hands got pruny. These are about 1/2 the weight. Actual weight and also warmth wise. And real talk, 100mm wheels!!?? I don't think I'm ever going back. So much beast mode.

#makefatbikesfatagain

Need more cockpit photos!!!! Gotta see if you're changing mounting orientation on anything from last year.

Those dill5's on 100's are ridiculous! ...in the good way. :)

20161209_075706.jpg

Same sleep system + a packable pillow. Didn't have that last year. (This year)

20161209_080009.jpg

20161209_080023.jpg

Mounting system is light, clean, and dope. Saved about 4 pounds between the harness and pogies.

20161209_080056.jpg

I may run the sleeping pad rolled up between the harness and head tube to make the front roll a little smaller and easier to pack in zero degrees. I'm running a smaller top tube bag and a stove is mandatory this year so I may need room to stash extra clothes and such in the front. This is going to be my 5th Ultra so I'm more confident in what I'll actually need and should be able to pack on the lighter side compared to years past. Or earlier this year I should say.

Super clean look! Primary light going on the high mount I assume. Do all the events need you to demonstrate (ie boil water) the stove or is it more like the functioning lights and minimum calories thing where it just needs to be there in good order in the end?

you may have already thought about this, but id keep an eye on the contact points between the poles and your bivvy

tiny little rubs can cause srs damage when they happen about 30,000 times a day

you may have already thought about this, but id keep an eye on the contact points between the poles and your bivvy

tiny little rubs can cause srs damage when they happen about 30,000 times a day

The way it's all rolled together is how it's been for the whole time I've owned it so it's been good. Hopefully it stays good.

Super clean look! Primary light going on the high mount I assume. Do all the events need you to demonstrate (ie boil water) the stove or is it more like the functioning lights and minimum calories thing where it just needs to be there in good order in the end?

JayP is having a water boil checkpoint for the 200 this year so it's mandatory.

Sounds like there might be a story behind that tip. :)

happens with gear in all kinds of places, tools wearing holes in pouches, cranks rubbing holes thru shoe covers, housing wearing down paint, etc.

small things like that can be pretty devastating in the brutal conditions of winter ultras so im just lookin out

actually pretty surprised it hasnt worn anything into jims gear yet to be honest, thats awesome

Back
Top Bottom