Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Going into this one blind. Normally would do a commute the day before as a shake down, but I have to drop off and pick up my son today. Not entirely ideal but it is what it is.

Steve Vai

East Creek 600k Pre-Ride.

I was on the road at 3am to work the Wildwood 400k Start. Was super fun signing everyone in and doing bike checks. They went off at 5am and I had to sit in the Control until 6am because those are Rando rules. We did actually have a few late starters so it wasn't a waste.

By the time I got myself ready it was about 6:30am. I only told Nigel that I was pre-riding so no one would worry about me on course. Both routes hit a lot of the same roads so I didn't want volunteers to think I was lost or anything.

Kept the pace modest through the morning. Was paying attention to my GPS cues and seeing if the file was weird.

IMG_20190525_175322_220.jpg

First 200k went by without much issue, more of a warm-up than anything. From Salem to Ocean City I rode straight into a headwind for almost 100 miles. Really took a big toll on me. Although I planned to ride straight through, I was pretty zonked. 3am wake-up with only a few hours sleep Friday night was not ideal prep.

Stopped to eat dinner around 9:30pm. Hit the overnight control, which I could not get reservations for. Memorial Day Weekend at the Shore and all. As a matter of fact, everything within a 50 mile radius was booked.

I carry on, hoping the sleep zombies would subside.

Somewhere around Midnight a thunderstorm rolled through. Hard driving rain and the temps dropped quite a bit. I found shelter at a school in Estell Manor. Trying to make the best of my downtime, I made a bed and tried to catch some ZZZZZ's.

IMG_20190526_002832_181.jpg

My ghetto bivy consisted of a Big Agnes pillow and my rain shell. I slept in my spare shorts but it was pretty cold on that concrete. Got ZERO sleep. Basically sat there waiting for the storm to blow over.

Maybe 3am I head out to make the next Control and find a better place to nap. Take in some calories and call around to see if a hotel has space. Nothing. Which I already knew but I was hoping for a cancellation or.something.

20190525_131957.jpg

I got kicked out of Wawa for Loitering so I rode down into town to hide somewhere else. It's 5am at this point and I've been up for 27-hours straight, my body started to just shut down on me. Something I haven't felt in a really long time. I do not bonk anymore. Ever. Doesn't happen. But it did.

Called my wife for a rescue. Normally that's a big no-no but she was responsible for changing my Friday at the last minute, so I had a get out of jail free card to play.

IMG_20190526_061611_674.jpg

Slept for a few hours when I got home and now feel totally normal.

Next up, Saratoga 600k with Line and David. We already booked an overnight hotel.

bigW

I scored another test mule job. I have to ride these silly egg rings to see if they actually do what they claim. A 600k should do the trick...

View attachment 95935View attachment 95936

I have no gifts when it comes to bike mechanic skills and as such I found Oval chainrings made FD adjustments touchy as the distance from the chainring to derailleur changes through the rotation.

Could just be that I’m a spaz. Derailleurs are silly anyway.

W

Steve Vai

I have no gifts when it comes to bike mechanic skills and as such I found Oval chainrings made FD adjustments touchy as the distance from the chainring to derailleur changes through the rotation.

Could just be that I’m a spaz. Derailleurs are silly anyway.

W

Facts. I wouldn't personally run them without electronic shifting. Cables aren't usually precise enough for clean shifts. I also run a Compact so I hardly ever use the inner ring, it's basically a 1X.

Steve Vai

Here we go again. Riding to Canadia, eh. We'll be self-supported so I need to run the big bags to carry clothes for the overnight. I also have a bunch of rain gear stuffed in there, because, it's gonna rain. Yay.

Photo of bicycle.

Here's a question for you guys. How many different bike bags do you think I own?

20190531_075122.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Here we go again. Riding to Canadia, eh. We'll be self-supported so I need to run the big bags to carry clothes for the overnight. I also have a bunch of rain gear stuffed in there, because, it's gonna rain. Yay.

Photo of bicycle.

Here's a question for you guys. How many different bike bags do you think I own?

View attachment 96445
294 bags

The Kalmyk

East Creek 600k Pre-Ride.

I was on the road at 3am to work the Wildwood 400k Start. Was super fun signing everyone in and doing bike checks. They went off at 5am and I had to sit in the Control until 6am because those are Rando rules. We did actually have a few late starters so it wasn't a waste.

By the time I got myself ready it was about 6:30am. I only told Nigel that I was pre-riding so no one would worry about me on course. Both routes hit a lot of the same roads so I didn't want volunteers to think I was lost or anything.

Kept the pace modest through the morning. Was paying attention to my GPS cues and seeing if the file was weird.

View attachment 96215

First 200k went by without much issue, more of a warm-up than anything. From Salem to Ocean City I rode straight into a headwind for almost 100 miles. Really took a big toll on me. Although I planned to ride straight through, I was pretty zonked. 3am wake-up with only a few hours sleep Friday night was not ideal prep.

Stopped to eat dinner around 9:30pm. Hit the overnight control, which I could not get reservations for. Memorial Day Weekend at the Shore and all. As a matter of fact, everything within a 50 mile radius was booked.

I carry on, hoping the sleep zombies would subside.

Somewhere around Midnight a thunderstorm rolled through. Hard driving rain and the temps dropped quite a bit. I found shelter at a school in Estell Manor. Trying to make the best of my downtime, I made a bed and tried to catch some ZZZZZ's.

View attachment 96216

My ghetto bivy consisted of a Big Agnes pillow and my rain shell. I slept in my spare shorts but it was pretty cold on that concrete. Got ZERO sleep. Basically sat there waiting for the storm to blow over.

Maybe 3am I head out to make the next Control and find a better place to nap. Take in some calories and call around to see if a hotel has space. Nothing. Which I already knew but I was hoping for a cancellation or.something.

View attachment 96217

I got kicked out of Wawa for Loitering so I rode down into town to hide somewhere else. It's 5am at this point and I've been up for 27-hours straight, my body started to just shut down on me. Something I haven't felt in a really long time. I do not bonk anymore. Ever. Doesn't happen. But it did.

Called my wife for a rescue. Normally that's a big no-no but she was responsible for changing my Friday at the last minute, so I had a get out of jail free card to play.

View attachment 96218

Slept for a few hours when I got home and now feel totally normal.

Next up, Saratoga 600k with Line and David. We already booked an overnight hotel.

Damn Dude! I was at the in laws this weekend when you literally rode right in front of the house- Stagecoach in Upper Township. Too bad I wasn't out front throwing the ball with my son.

Take it out on Saratoga!!!

Top Bottom