Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Team HB has arrived. Looks like we're in for a wet day. Here's a hotel shot.

20180622_223851.jpg

Steve Vai

TLD18.

Sometimes, things don't go as planned. Or most of the time I should say.

We left about 2 hours late on Friday night. When we got to the hotel we decided to push our start back to 6:30am to offset a late night.

20180623_062543.jpg

Pacing was good all day. We each pulled for 5 miles at 20ish mph. About 50 miles in Line got spooked by a driver that coal rolled us and she crashed. Spent about 30 minutes or so cleaning her up and getting the bike sorted.

IMG_20180624_081216_119.jpg

Having Sag for this ride was our downfall. With 6 people the stops were too frequent and too long. In year's past I've spent less than 15 minutes off the bike self-supported, this year was well over an hour.

IMG_20180623_194956_961.jpg

All in all my legs feel great today and hopefully I recover enough to ride a quick 600k this weekend.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
awesome adventure -
Told a few casual cyclists about this attempt - it relates well with planning, support, teamwork.

Cool - and the 4 of you pulled into the finish together!

Steve Vai

Here's a great way to waste an hour of your life. Retro-fitted my Light and Motion GoPro mount onto my Cateye so I can has many more hours of light for this weekend's 600K.

I could have just mounted the light to the handlebar like a normal human being, but...No.

20180627_195837.jpg
20180627_200026.jpg
20180627_202818.jpg
20180627_204122.jpg

JerseyPete

About 50 miles in Line got spooked by a driver that coal rolled us and she crashed. Spent about 30 minutes or so cleaning her up and getting the bike sorted.

What are your options regarding getting coal rolled? Is a GoPro proof of incident worth filing charges? What can riders do about that?

qclabrat

Here's a great way to waste an hour of your life. Retro-fitted my Light and Motion GoPro mount onto my Cateye so I can has many more hours of light for this weekend's 600K.

I could have just mounted the light to the handlebar like a normal human being, but...No.

View attachment 71165View attachment 71166View attachment 71167View attachment 71168
nice clean look, how are you getting more hours of light as opposed to a standard mount? is there an aux battery somewhere

Steve Vai

nice clean look, how are you getting more hours of light as opposed to a standard mount? is there an aux battery somewhere

The more hours of light is coming from using the Cateye instead of the Light and Motion. It's 15-17 hours vs. 2.5. The mounting was purely superficial.

Steve Vai

Obligatory hotel room shot. With gear layout. Somewhat impressed everything here packs into those 3 little bags...I have a second drop bag filled with a loop 2 resupply in case my legs feel good and I opt for a straight through approach. Given the heat anticipated for the weekend there's a good chance I shut down in PA somewhere and Uber home.

20180629_203246.jpg

Top Bottom