Going Long and Hard.

Does anyone know how to get up to that dirt parking lot in the middle of the park? We went up Skyline Drive and parked under the powerlines. Parking farther in would allow us to have a pit stop halfway through the loop as there ain't poop anywhere out there.

spank-you-spank-you-very-much.jpg

I did this. Been catching sticks like a mofo on the Stumpy because the Eagle derailleur basically drags on the ground. Put one of my 11speed groups on to gain a couple inches clearance and tighter gearing. And, not to brag but, I haven't needed a granny gear in a long long time...

20180605_163446.jpg
20180605_164747.jpg

My inlaws live on Reservoir Ave, right down from P4, and I've never been to the PJ trails. Have to get up there with Katie some time this summer.

Awesome map! Never realized there was that many trails there. Thanks
P6 is the lot I was trying to get to but I couln't figure it out on the other map.

I don't know why they make the map so hard to find. I had to use google to google to get that. It's not on their website anyplace I could easily get to which is surprising as Port Jervis has invested a lot into these trails. I've only been there once and really need to get back.

I did this. Been catching sticks like a mofo on the Stumpy because the Eagle derailleur basically drags on the ground. Put one of my 11speed groups on to gain a couple inches clearance and tighter gearing. And, not to brag but, I haven't needed a granny gear in a long long time...

Question: how does a bigger ring give you more clearance? I would think the opposite.....

I went from 12 down to 11. It's a smaller ring and rear derailleur. The rear derailleur is nearly 2 inches shorter.

I don't know why they make the map so hard to find. I had to use google to google to get that. It's not on their website anyplace I could easily get to which is surprising as Port Jervis has invested a lot into these trails. I've only been there once and really need to get back.

I was actually surprised at how little signage there was on the trails themselves. I mean, they're marked with the difficulty level but that's about it. I was expecting it to be similar to Raystown...

I went from 12 down to 11. It's a smaller ring and rear derailleur. The rear derailleur is nearly 2 inches shorter.
so Eagle doesn't come in a short cage? Odd since everyone has pretty much gone to 1X. Aren't long cage derailleurs still designed to work with triples and mid for doubles?

so Eagle doesn't come in a short cage? Odd since everyone has pretty much gone to 1X. Aren't long cage derailleurs still designed to work with triples and mid for doubles?

1x or not is irrelevant. A road double uses a short cage derailleur 99% of the time as do almost all mountain doubles 10-speed and down. It's all about chain wrap. Eagle uses a 10-50 cassette which is a 40t wrap. Long cage. Standard 53/39x11/28 road drivetrain is only a 31t wrap. Short cage. 11-speed XX1 is a 10-42 so that's a 32t wrap. Medium'ish cage. I'm fairly certain an XX1 RD will even work with an XX cage to get even more clearance but I'm not about to test it.

1x or not is irrelevant. A road double uses a short cage derailleur 99% of the time as do almost all mountain doubles 10-speed and down. It's all about chain wrap. Eagle uses a 10-50 cassette which is a 40t wrap. Long cage. Standard 53/39x11/28 road drivetrain is only a 31t wrap. Short cage. 11-speed XX1 is a 10-42 so that's a 32t wrap. Medium'ish cage. I'm fairly certain an XX1 RD will even work with an XX cage to get even more clearance but I'm not about to test it.
Learning folks out in this beotch

must be using granny gear if it is hanging full length :D

Auction off that eagle dome - will pay for shipping you bike to AK

Back
Top Bottom