Going Long and Hard.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
LOL Washington Rock and Sterling are in your recovery ride:ROFL:

I've gotten pretty good at going over Washington Rock "gingerly". Only the bottom is steep enough to knock me out of zone and it's too short to have any real effect on my overall ride:D

-Jim.

Steve Vai

Thursday...

Met up with Roger and a few of his homies for a fun day in the hills around Bear Mountain. He had me scheduled for a 20-minute fitness test on the Perkins Drive climb. So one thing I've come to expect is the insane amount of climbing I'll be doing while with Roger, he seems to have an uncanny ability to make everything uphill. The 2-hour ride TO Bear Mountain, where the "climbs" are, had probably twice as much elevation as my normal Thursday hill-loop, which left my legs a little soft for the actual test:rolleyes:

Entire workout (188 watts):
Duration: 3:51:18
Work: 2611 kJ
TSS: 292.7 (intensity factor 0.871)
Norm Power: 253
Distance: 72.835 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 742 188 watts
Heart Rate: 63 171 133 bpm
Cadence: 29 193 82 rpm
Speed: 2.3 42.4 18.9 mph

My 20-minute test...Perkins Drive climb...So albeit my legs were softened up from the 2-hour ride to here, I was still able to put out an "OK" amount of power. The thing I'm most happy with from this was averaging over 13mph on 4.5 mile long climb...

Peak 20min (328 watts):
Duration: 20:02
Work: 394 kJ
TSS: 44.9 (intensity factor 1.16)
Norm Power: 336
Distance: 4.409 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 724 328 watts
Heart Rate: 119 170 164 bpm
Cadence: 32 113 87 rpm
Speed: 2.4 18.7 13.2 mph

-Jim.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Do you have an overall range for Cadence on each ride that you look to meet? 90 rpm avg? Or does your focus on power output outweigh the need to worry about cadence?

Steve Vai

Do you have an overall range for Cadence on each ride that you look to meet? 90 rpm avg? Or does your focus on power output outweigh the need to worry about cadence?

I spin between 90-100 rpm during most of my rides regardless of power goals. On occasion I get cadence specific workouts, like 40-50rpm big ring climbs, or doing high cadence (100+) work during a group ride by staying in my 36t (like during Fred's wedding day century). My average cadence always reads lower because of coasting being added into the mix.

-Jim.

Steve Vai

New road bike...

So I get to work on Thursday and me new Cannondale CAAD9 BB30 frameset is waiting for me!! With 'cross season around the corner it's time to start getting my ducks in a row:D

Peep this terrible picture of my new bike!!

photo.php

-Jim.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

New road bike...

Shake down ride...Easy day set for Friday. Average in zones 1&2. I got a little excited on the new bike and did a few sections pretty hard to see what she can do!! Right off the bat I really like the bike, it's much softer than the CX9 and the shorter wheelbase makes for some super-snappy acceleration!! Also during my fit we realized my seat slid down about an inch on my CX9 and I've been riding like that for who knows how long, I feel much stronger now that I've gotten my full pedal stroke back!!

Entire workout (189 watts):
Duration: 1:17:04
Work: 873 kJ
TSS: 76.6 (intensity factor 0.772)
Norm Power: 229
Distance: 24.251 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 595 189 watts
Heart Rate: 71 158 128 bpm
Cadence: 29 203 83 rpm
Speed: 2.6 41.4 18.9 mph

-Jim.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Saturday...

I started feeling a little iffy on Friday night and went to bed with a sore-throat, when i woke up this morning I felt a little worse, but I had to ride because my car was at the store!! I didn't feel too bad on the bike but I wasn't able to turn up the effort where it needed to be. Drove home and have been murdering the Emergen-C all day. I have a LONG day planned for tomorrow so I hope this is just a minor bug:popcorn:

Entire workout (197 watts):
Duration: 1:06:06
Work: 780 kJ
TSS: 66.7 (intensity factor 0.778)
Norm Power: 226
Distance: 20.665 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 695 197 watts
Heart Rate: 81 158 131 bpm
Cadence: 29 244 78 rpm
Speed: 2.2 35.2 18.7 mph

-Jim.

xc62701

So I get to work on Thursday and me new Cannondale CAAD9 BB30 frameset is waiting for me!! With 'cross season around the corner it's time to start getting my ducks in a row:D

Peep this terrible picture of my new bike!!

photo.php

-Jim.

Where's a pic that works?

Steve Vai

L-o-n-g!!

Today I've decided to do something I've always wanted to try, do 2 of my Round Valley road loops back-to-back. I told Roger a few weeks ago I was planning this and for him to adjust my schedule accordingly. I did the loop forward and then backward so I wouldn't get bored. Also I had some company. Joe from the shop joined me for both loops, then Chris Esnes and DD hit the second. So one goal for this ride was to see how I can respond to attacks during the second loop against fresh legs. With over 3.5 hours in my legs already, I had to dig DEEP when someone made a move!! That's kinda what these long days are about, teaching your body to perform even while extremely fatigued. I was able to pull my own and dictate the pace of the ride up until about 6.5 hours, then I pretty much went into limp mode:drooling:

Tomorrow I actually have a 2-hour workout scheduled instead of my normal day off. Again, shaking things up and taking my body out of it's comfort zone. I'm anxious to see if my numbers will be good despite over 7 hours on the bike today:drooling:

Entire workout (185 watts):
Duration: 7:11:30
Work: 4782 kJ
TSS: 442.2 (intensity factor 0.784)
Norm Power: 227
Distance: 133.773 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 922 185 watts
Heart Rate: 61 172 130 bpm
Cadence: 29 178 81 rpm
Speed: 2.2 44.9 18.6 mph

Time in HR zones...I stayed pretty consistent in 2/3...Zone 1 was probably coasting or sitting up to re-group, Zone 4 was responding to attacks more than likely...

Zone 1-35 minutes
Zone 2-156 minutes
Zone 3-179 minutes
Zone 4-50 minutes
Zone 5->1 minute

So for this week I got in 16 hours and 45 minutes total, covered 314.13 miles...My volume will go up a bit in a few weeks when my wife is off work for the summer. Most of my volume will be aimed towards building a wicked aerobic base to go into 'cross season strong enough to compete as an "A" or Elite 35+?

-Jim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom