Jersey Race Series - Why don't we have one?

To the best of my knowledge the NJ state series started in 1995 by Sarah Frost. It was 9 races back then. It would start April and run until the weekend before Thanksgiving at Allaire. Many of those races do not exist any more for many reasons. As Norm said, unless you want to put on a race, may not be worth contemplating. Back then not everyone had internet like today, so Sarah would post standings on a board at races. The first year I won master women and found out from a friend that read it in Dirt Rag. There were not many girls back then, and that opportunity drew me in.

I think the state series ran until around the time it became H2H and a bunch of NY races came on board to make it a regional series. There may have been a few years when it did not take place. Maybe someone else can help me remember. It may have had something to do with half the promoters leaving USACycling and half staying on board with them and splitting the promoters with the non-usacycling not allowing the usacycling to join the series if they used usacycling. My club was a usacycling club and left the series.

I must say that a series is a great way to entice new racers. However, after that, it can feel stagnant. As you enter the sport there is so much exciting upward trajectory, but we all reach a plateau where that trajectory slows down or stops. That is when racers try something else like CX or road, or even stop racing. There are pluses and minuses to both sides. IMO racing is good motivational tool. When it stops motivating you, it may be time to move on.

Any one else with some memories of the NJ series?
Some of my earliest memories of racing in Northern NJ revolved around Ramapo Valley Cycle and Pompton Cycle Center. Two shops owned by Brothers from Wyckoff, Bob and Tom Holerdith. As a kid through grad school, I worked in both shops and helped as a volunteer at some of the races (and participated too). Many of the races that I mentioned earlier in this thread were some of the first organized events/races in Northern NJ to my knowledge. If memory serves, I think Bob H was the first regional IMBA rep for the Notheast (but Art may remember better). I think Sarah then combined the races around NJ to create the series. For awhile, the most if not all the NJ series races were in Ringwood due to the legality of riding Mountain Bikes in different parks in NJ. Which is what makes IMBA, JORBA and the chapter clubs so important as well as organizing around trail access.

Hello all NJ Race Series Hopefuls. As the sponsor of the AC Daughtry Security-H2H Series, I agree that NJ has some amazing race and riding terrain. Also as a founding member of the NJ NICA League, we learned quickly about the limitations of some of our fine venues, when you step back to look at the logistics of parking, trails that allow for racing for all categories and skill levels, and the added expenses that a promoter may incur to host an event.

For 2017, the AC Daughtry Security -H2H Series is essentially a NJ race series. This year we have 7 races, with only the last race being held in NY at what promises to be a great venue.

Moving into the upcoming season, we would certainly welcome more NJ venues. If any of the bloggers in this post want to introduce a new venue and promote that race for the 2018 season, the H2H Organizer's Committee would openly welcome some fresh NJ Dirt for the 2018 Series. Reach out to me and we will extend an invite to the fall meeting when next season's planning begins.

Until then, there are still the two final races with Lewis Morris hosting the State Championships next weekend so come on out and race! See below for the 2017 schedule:

http://www.h2hrace.com/schedule

David and Heather Kahl-AC Daughtry Security

Back
Top Bottom