Jersey Race Series - Why don't we have one?

RiderX - I appreciate the suggestion. I am very green to the world of MTB and am enjoying the adventure of getting more involved. I am still very very new and I would be stepping on toes if I were to approach these folks myself + I don't know anything about how to put one of these things together. In fact, if you ever looked at my previous posts (Chainstrecher, Waway, Jungle, Lewis Morris), you will see how I admire and am grateful of the people that put these things together and I always take the time to publically state that because I can only imagine the time and effort it takes to put one of these things together. Additionally - at those people's expense is where I get my entertainment – that is priceless to me - because of their efforts, I get to race!

I would prefer to learn from the seasoned veterans on how to put something like this together by helping out in any way I can. Hence - one of the reasons for this thread. I was inquiring to learn the history and wisdom and also hear from others like me on what they would like or have experienced. This is one of the ways I am learning the MTB culture in NJ. This forum is an excellent resource for that.

So – if you find yourself in need of help when tasked with putting an event together, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be more than happy to provide my resources to help out! It’s a WIN/WIN

As I finish typing, I hear taps playing in the back ground as this thread is put to rest!

Last edited:
Kudos to NICA for bringing MTB racing to some of our local spots. we almost had a race at Mercer and now we are about to have our first race at Six Mile... STOKE is high!

After reading @pearl midweek race series recaps, I believe its possible in NJ at the local spots..

i wish there were more races - i missed most of the H2H ones this year, but will do the lewis morris one in a couple weeks.

arent there some fat bike races in jersey during the winter?

i wish there were more races - i missed most of the H2H ones this year
Me too. I wish there were more summer and fall races. I think all but one on my team quit racing b/c all the races shifted so early. Many people do not want to race in March and April. Even NICA should be in fall. ATMO, It is the best time to ride.

Back on subject: I remember the New Jersey Series back in the day.

I raced a bunch of the old NJ points series throughout the early to mid '90s. Round Valley, LewMo, Mahlon, Ringwood, Allaire... I remember one was in Montague one year, but not sure which park. If you didn't want to wait around for your results, they were published in the next issue of Dirt Rag.

I remember those old events at RV and Allaire even!! Shame there's so few races in NJ and they all overlap with other events. Like seriously, there's what 12 events total between H2H and NICA? They can't figure how to schedule them to not conflict over 9 months of primo racing season?

Agreed. CX should start in Oct like it did in the old days; it is not really Cross unless it really cold and crappy. Modern Cross = Dirt Crit which is kinda boring.

I remember many of those races in the late 1980s and 1990s both as a racer and volunteer. Some of the other classics not mentioned: Ringwood, Mt Peter, Ramapo Reservation, Windham, Hunter.

I know you're busy but could you tell us about those good old days? Would love to hear about them!
lol I'm retired! How busy can I be? There was no internet back then, so I will have to check my training logs for some details.

That nine month season is now a three month season, thanks to CX.
I kind of sense that too. It is one thing to fill in with some CX for off season, but many train for it year round. I think CX was invented to keep road cyclist in shape in winter, no? Now it is specialized.
Also biking is popular now and you do not need to race to meet people that mountain bike. I thought enduros like mooch were an awesome addition to fill in when 24 hour racing fell out of favor. But now enduros have morphed into downhill-lite and are at ski areas. As a mountain biker I love the real woods and prefer to ride without a lift and pas$.

To the best of my knowledge the NJ state series started in 1995 by Sarah Frost. It was 9 races back then. It would start April and run until the weekend before Thanksgiving at Allaire. Many of those races do not exist any more for many reasons. As Norm said, unless you want to put on a race, may not be worth contemplating. Back then not everyone had internet like today, so Sarah would post standings on a board at races. The first year I won master women and found out from a friend that read it in Dirt Rag. There were not many girls back then, and that opportunity drew me in.

I think the state series ran until around the time it became H2H and a bunch of NY races came on board to make it a regional series. There may have been a few years when it did not take place. Maybe someone else can help me remember. It may have had something to do with half the promoters leaving USACycling and half staying on board with them and splitting the promoters with the non-usacycling not allowing the usacycling to join the series if they used usacycling. My club was a usacycling club and left the series.

I must say that a series is a great way to entice new racers. However, after that, it can feel stagnant. As you enter the sport there is so much exciting upward trajectory, but we all reach a plateau where that trajectory slows down or stops. That is when racers try something else like CX or road, or even stop racing. There are pluses and minuses to both sides. IMO racing is good motivational tool. When it stops motivating you, it may be time to move on.

Any one else with some memories of the NJ series?

Kudos to NICA for bringing MTB racing to some of our local spots. we almost had a race at Mercer and now we are about to have our first race at Six Mile... STOKE is high!

After reading @pearl midweek race series recaps, I believe its possible in NJ at the local spots..
I think the main question is how parks will perceive a for profit race compared to scholastic based race. Yes I know the promoters aren't in it to make a living but the parks perception may be different.

Back
Top Bottom