Japanther

The Kalmyk

For my 40th I'm treating myself to a pair of winter boots. I've zeroed in on the 45nrth Japanthers. I want to get the sizing right. For the guys using 45nrth shoes, do these shoes fit true to size? Are they narrow or wide?

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
For those, I would go a size up so you can run thick socks. If you're gonna do it, I'd suggest the Wolvhammers though as the Japanther is more of a cool weather shoe and not a true winter boot.

The Kalmyk

I was thinking I could run them below freezing without an issue? You find the wolvhammers heavy?

Steve Vai

If you don't get cold feet possibly. The Wolvhammers are worth their weight in gold when it actually gets cold.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I misread the title as a review of a cool, German tank.

I know nothing of winter bike boots, but I see a whole lot more about the Wolvhammers.

The Kalmyk

So I went with @jimvreeland suggestion and scooped up the Wolvhammer's. My immediate assessments are:

1) Ridicously warm.
2) Lighter than the Lakes Ive owned
3) Simple lacing and strap design.
4) Comfortable to walk in.

The next decisions lie in what socks to match them with at different temperatures. Tagging @jimvreeland . Please respond after your 200mile Sunday ride.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

So I went with @jimvreeland suggestion and scooped up the Wolvhammer's. My immediate assessments are:

1) Ridicously warm.
2) Lighter than the Lakes Ive owned
3) Simple lacing and strap design.
4) Comfortable to walk in.

The next decisions lie in what socks to match them with at different temperatures. Tagging @jimvreeland . Please respond after your 200mile Sunday ride.

View attachment 26620

I have last years model and have used summer boot socks for 5 hr rides in 15 degree temps w/o issue.

The Kalmyk

I have last years model and have used summer boot socks for 5 hr rides in 15 degree temps w/o issue.

Really? I was planning on wool socks for real low temps. If your wearing summer socks at that temp I will probably sweat. Have your feet ever got cold from sweating?

Johnny Utah

Really? I was planning on wool socks for real low temps. If your wearing summer socks at that temp I will probably sweat. Have your feet ever got cold from sweating?

Not really, but they have become too warm when wearing wool socks on 25 degree days with low wind. The awesome part of these shoes is that they are fairly wind resistant, which really allows them to hold the heat from your feet, yet they do not get too warm. In my opinion the beauty of these shoes is that you don't need large socks, you can run a lighter sock and have more of that "summer" shoe feel while wearing a winter boot.

These are my favorite winter item. Once you are used to them they are a must (IMO).

Steve Vai

^ This.

You really don't need a thick sock with these shoes. In New Jersey. Even at Tuscobia this winter I only wore a pair of Woolie Boolies.

Sandman98

This is really tempting Spencer. I might get a pair and my birthday is coming up. Whats the difference between the old one and the new one? I can see the new one has the laces out

Steve Vai

No zipper or velcro on the new ones. I broke the zipper twice last year, which they warrantied, and how I got the new ones.

Sandman98

Those updates make sense Getting rid of the zippers. Now how about the sizes? I wear size 44 cycling shoes. Like you guys said, heavy sock is not needed. Thanks

The Kalmyk

One up on the Lakes is the Velcro and lacing on the 45nrth's. In extreme conditions (like the race @jimvreeland is doing), you could stow away back up laces and get thru it. Can't do that BOA or at least I don't know how.

Top Bottom