James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Westworld is a potential

We watched the first episode tonight, and it was good. Definitely interested to see where it goes. It's like playing Red Dead Redemption, but you are literally doing it in real life, pretty cool. There are also aspects you will find funny/interesting from a systems/software nerd perspective.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Iggy has this weird "I sort of dislike alternate elements of technological progress" thing going on.

I would be open to speaking on a podcast.

As far as dislike for alternate elements of technological progress, I think this notion came about because I was late to the smart phone table, which is more about economics for me, I was holding out as long as I could because cell phone is another monthly bill I was trying to avoid. I do admit to having zero interest in Strava and refuse to use the app. I guess some may consider me a curmudgeon for this, the way I think people are weirdos for not using FB. Oh and there is discord as well, which is just a redundant form of communication we already have in place. Honestly, with all these social network apps I find that people listen/comprehend less and click buttons more. For example, when I text Mitch or Utah, I can only send one sentence at a time, they either mis read second sentence or skip it all together.

Also, the radio in my car is broken, so I've been listening to podcasts exclusively while driving.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rain. It happens. As the sun sets earlier each day, we have a bad habit of looking outside and thinking that boy, this is depressing. This is dark. There's no sun. I shall now start the self-fulfilling prophecy of making myself sad because it's cold and the days are shorter. And then I wake up and this rain, it just comes down. Buckets, cats and dogs, a veritable cornucopia of misery! It's never ending. Yet, in some parts of the country, the world, they would kill for this rain. Ok, maybe not kill, but perhaps maim? I don't love it, nor do I hate it. Yes, as we discussed on the podcast it's responsible for the 2 worst cross races I have ever been a part of. I would be lying if I said otherwise. But we also need to be fair. Rain is normal. It happens, makes things grow. Allows the location we live to be a healthy place. And so on.

The combination that most annoys me is something we have no control over. In the last 36 hours, it has rained heavily which has knocked many of the leaves off the trees and onto the ground. As such, they're now only all over the place and in need of cleaning, but they're also soaking wet and unresponsive to most leaf removal approaches. For the next 2 months, the trails will be littered with wet leaves, which abruptly ends the part of the season which people often misguidedly cite as "the best time of year to ride."

Between this moment, right now, and Sunday morning, it's supposed to not rain 3 of the next 4 days, which should give the NoHo course some time to recover. Unfortunately, Saturday will likely dig up & expose some of the dirt we'll be racing on and turn it into mud. My one hope is that we don't show up to a course that's so sloppy it makes no sense to pre-ride. This is my main objection right now. I object to courses that are too sloppy to bother pre-riding. I embrace that this is a real possibility, however.

I also used the rain as an opportunity to vote today. When it was coming down the hardest, I ventured out because I figured there would be the fewest number of people at the polls. I think it was a 30 minute round trip in total to go vote, and much of that is because I went to the 2016 location which has since moved. I hope you voted today. I will not belabor the politics beyond that.

I also took the opportunity to enjoy some of the new Counter Culture coffee that arrived this past weekend. Back is the absolutely splendid bean from the roaster in North Carolina. I picked the Ethiopian over the Guatemalan to start. In general, Guatemala is not a hotbed for amazing coffee so I'll back seat that bag and go for the known quantity. I'm happy to say this bean is excellent, almost at the same level as last month's top offering. I did this while it rained outside.

I also played this on & off all day:
https://bongo.cat/

You may have seen this on the other thread. I found this, then on the Duke call I would just hit ONE bongo randomly. I never know what does and doesn't feed to the sound output on these meetings. In my experience you get different output captures between apps. When I asked my coworker if he could hear it, he said yes. It was all I could do not to laugh out loud the remainder of the meeting. Sometimes life is simple and good. This was one of those moments.

After discussing with my boss I told the project manager that going to Seattle isn't going to work for me on the week of 12/3. They immediately ran to the client who started whining they wanted me there. Then they asked if I could go 12/17-21. I mean, talk about shitty timing on all of this. We will discuss it tonight and determine if either of these weeks are going to work, or if I will force the issue and ask them to punt to January, or what. I really don't want to miss Neal deGrasse Tyson the week of 12/3 but then the week of 12/17 is kinda jammed up against Xmas. In any event, it rained outside while I pondered what to do here. I am still undecided & uncertain. But I am dry.

I rode the bike on the trainer while it continued to rain, and it being a rest (ish) week I did nothing of note on the bike. I managed to elicit a response from @pearl on my ride title, which I consider a win. If I remember tomorrow, I will haiku my titles and talk more trash if possible. Also while it rained, I started The Man in the High Castle. This was both recommended and NOT recommended. But I kept going through various shows and saying, "Ok I should let D see this, and this, and this." I think tMitHC is not something she will care much about. Towards the end of first episode I almost decided to call it one-and-done, because it seemed like the sole purpose of the series is to cast Japanese people in a negative light. But I decided to let it roll, because I think at least one person who reads this blog recommended it. @MadisonDan perhaps?

Watched e4 and e5 of Dark tonight.

Iggy don't like tech
Bongo cat don't give a fuck
All the while it rained

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Rain. It happens. As the sun sets earlier each day, we have a bad habit of looking outside and thinking that boy, this is depressing. This is dark. There's no sun. I shall now start the self-fulfilling prophecy of making myself sad because it's cold and the days are shorter. And then I wake up and this rain, it just comes down. Buckets, cats and dogs, a veritable cornucopia of misery! It's never ending. Yet, in some parts of the country, the world, they would kill for this rain. Ok, maybe not kill, but perhaps maim? I don't love it, nor do I hate it. Yes, as we discussed on the podcast it's responsible for the 2 worst cross races I have ever been a part of. I would be lying if I said otherwise. But we also need to be fair. Rain is normal. It happens, makes things grow. Allows the location we live to be a healthy place. And so on.

The combination that most annoys me is something we have no control over. In the last 36 hours, it has rained heavily which has knocked many of the leaves off the trees and onto the ground. As such, they're now only all over the place and in need of cleaning, but they're also soaking wet and unresponsive to most leaf removal approaches. For the next 2 months, the trails will be littered with wet leaves, which abruptly ends the part of the season which people often misguidedly cite as "the best time of year to ride."

Between this moment, right now, and Sunday morning, it's supposed to not rain 3 of the next 4 days, which should give the NoHo course some time to recover. Unfortunately, Saturday will likely dig up & expose some of the dirt we'll be racing on and turn it into mud. My one hope is that we don't show up to a course that's so sloppy it makes no sense to pre-ride. This is my main objection right now. I object to courses that are too sloppy to bother pre-riding. I embrace that this is a real possibility, however.

I also used the rain as an opportunity to vote today. When it was coming down the hardest, I ventured out because I figured there would be the fewest number of people at the polls. I think it was a 30 minute round trip in total to go vote, and much of that is because I went to the 2016 location which has since moved. I hope you voted today. I will not belabor the politics beyond that.

I also took the opportunity to enjoy some of the new Counter Culture coffee that arrived this past weekend. Back is the absolutely splendid bean from the roaster in North Carolina. I picked the Ethiopian over the Guatemalan to start. In general, Guatemala is not a hotbed for amazing coffee so I'll back seat that bag and go for the known quantity. I'm happy to say this bean is excellent, almost at the same level as last month's top offering. I did this while it rained outside.

You may have seen this on the other thread. I found this, then on the Duke call I would just hit ONE bongo randomly. I never know what does and doesn't feed to the sound output on these meetings. In my experience you get different output captures between apps. When I asked my coworker if he could hear it, he said yes. It was all I could do not to laugh out loud the remainder of the meeting. Sometimes life is simple and good. This was one of those moments.

After discussing with my boss I told the project manager that going to Seattle isn't going to work for me on the week of 12/3. They immediately ran to the client who started whining they wanted me there. Then they asked if I could go 12/17-21. I mean, talk about shitty timing on all of this. We will discuss it tonight and determine if either of these weeks are going to work, or if I will force the issue and ask them to punt to January, or what. I really don't want to miss Neal deGrasse Tyson the week of 12/3 but then the week of 12/17 is kinda jammed up against Xmas. In any event, it rained outside while I pondered what to do here. I am still undecided & uncertain. But I am dry.

I rode the bike on the trainer while it continued to rain, and it being a rest (ish) week I did nothing of note on the bike. I managed to elicit a response from @pearl on my ride title, which I consider a win. If I remember tomorrow, I will haiku my titles and talk more trash if possible. Also while it rained, I started The Man in the High Castle. This was both recommended and NOT recommended. But I kept going through various shows and saying, "Ok I should let D see this, and this, and this." I think tMitHC is not something she will care much about. Towards the end of first episode I almost decided to call it one-and-done, because it seemed like the sole purpose of the series is to cast Japanese people in a negative light. But I decided to let it roll, because I think at least one person who reads this blog recommended it. @MadisonDan perhaps?

Iggy don't like tech
All the while it rained
Probably was me. Have watched all the seasons. I enjoyed. I also liked Jack Ryan, which you and @seanrunnette disagreed about on the Cast of Pods. Finished Dark last week.... still not sure WTF happened. May watch again.
BongoCat may get me fired.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Man in high Castle:

Liked the book. Loved the premise. As with PKD, I always wish there were more details in his books. Maybe not GRRM details, but longer than they are.

Show version: really liked the first season. Ok with second season. Haven't watched third season so I'll report later. I like seeing some ideas fleshed out more on screen tho.

This isn't really a great review but it's not even 5am yet so take what you get from me.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Iggy don't like tech
All the while it rained

I know i had recommended The man in the high castle to someone, (maybe you?) but i enjoyed it, all 3 seasons, i will throw out the disclaimer that i havent read the book.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The first season was OK. I only got through half of season 2 and lost interest.

Please watch Patriot on Prime. So funny/ dark and awesome. Probably not what you’re expecting.

taylor185

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I picked the Ethiopian over the Guatemalan to start
We really like their Central American coffee. It's our preference over the African offerings. Generally, chocolate > berries.

tMitHC = blah.

Jack Ryan = an unfortunate blah. A great opportunity wasted.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jack Ryan = an unfortunate blah. A great opportunity wasted.

yea, i tried to watch this too. Every episode was a giant cliche. I guess i've watched so much TV that it's hard to find anything original.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There are so many things on television these days it's hard to keep up with it all. Like always, I suppose word-of-mouth goes a long way towards putting things on the YES versus NO pile. I watched s1e2 of tMitHC which I abbreviated to @seanrunnette as MITHC which I realize is really close to @Mitch which then begs the haiku:

I wonder today
The man in the high castle
Is just our friend Mitch?

I'm not loving the show so far but I want to give it a fair shake. It's got too much cliche and not enough originality (or maybe the word I want is likeability) but I'll give it a few more episodes before I hit eject. @jShort I had already put Patriot in my list and I'll get to it in time. On the flip side if you haven't seen these I'll put them all as suggestions, though I imagine you've already checked these out since I've mentioned them before. I'm not sure what's on Netflix versus Prime:

* Hotel Beau Sejour (which I found out they are making another season)
* Schitt's Creek
* The Five
* Sens8

We watched Jack Ryan to the end but in general I agree with most of you guys, even though maybe on the podcast it wasn't as obvious. I don't really care if it comes back. I think the guy who played Ryan was meh but as I was asking @seanrunnette, I was curious if he was being directed to be this square or it's natural. His boss was a pretty bad actor. Ok, fair enough. It never lived up to the potential, though does a show like that have huge potential? At best, the premise limits it to some ceiling, much like the plethora of shows you see on TV these days. Crime dramas are a dime-a-dozen. How do you make your show significantly better than any of the other ones?

We've decided to skip the NYC trip to see the Vonnegut play Friday. That gives us a free Friday evening so if anyone knows of something good going on Friday after work, shout it out. D was up for it because she knows I love Vonnegut but with NoHo-Durham-Pittsburgh-Kentucky-Seattle-Canada on my 2018 radar still, the idea of skipping a NYC trip post work sounded better. The concorde of life will lift off soon enough, so maybe we'll stay in and watch Dark to it's conclusion on Friday. Or someone can feel free to invite us to dinner.

Finished The Punch Escrow last night which means NEW BOOK DAY. I have nominally started Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman, the same author of A Man Named Ove. I say nominally because I am just 2 pages into it. I like to start slow but this is inordinately low because I read 2 pages then had to go to a meeting or something.

Oh yeah, I rode my bike easy today. Day 3 of rest in the books. I'll start half-work the next 2 days, go easier-ish Saturday, then race Northampton on Sunday. Nothing more specific than that yet.

BCurry

Have you tried Electric Dreams on amazon prime? Based on P.k.dicks stories, I’m not a big sci-if guy so it didn’t hit the mark for me.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I feel like so much happens in one day and so little the next. Sometimes I sit down and feel like I could just plow out words for an hour, other days there's little to talk about. This week has been a mundane week by and large, with very little seeming to happen. Then today rolls along and suddenly I feel like 9 things came down the hopper that are discussion-worthy. My work day was more interesting that normal. Conversations with friends was more active. I rode a bit harder today. Various things to watch are being tossed about.

And allow me to add an item of big news. Our man @seanrunnette got one of the roles he auditioned for. Big news! Can't wait to see him in King Lear next spring (or late winter, I forget). Congrats my friend!

@UtahJoe made a statement today that I will use here. This is in regards to cross racing:

the drop off in "fun" is DRAMATIC once you leave the C class
I think there's some truth to that. When I was in the Bs it was actually a lot of fun and even when I first went to the 40+ I felt the same. Even back in '15 when I was sliding down the back side of the Bell Curve it was fun but 3 years later I return and I see what he's talking about. This is something we touched on with the podcast and I think there's a lot of truth to it in the NJ series. Our local series has become one where you're either a beginner or an expert. The series itself has weeded out the middle class by watering things down too much. The classes are too many, and end up being too small. I think the masters should all race together. Merge all 4 classes. Maybe split into 40+ then 55+. Having 4 classes is too many.

I don't want to belabor the point much more because it's been a bit of a beaten topic in the last few weeks. But right now, my class for Sunday is at 91. I'm predicted to come in 78th of 91 so even up there my class is hardly what you would call casualists. The cat 3 class is 73, and if I were racing that I would be predicted 66/74. So the Utah statement still has some validity when applied to bigger races but in this race at least I'll be racing people. That's really the problem I see in NJ. The classes are so small you don't race people so you don't race at all. And yes, my goal is to come in higher than 78. Looking at this field I think a great day for me would be 65th. Yeah I got a long way to go but I'll try to chip away 1 placement at a time.

The weather this weekend looks like it might be shit again. So I'm a little meh on that. Sean says it can't possibly be the same level of bad but I said before HPCX there was no way it could be Hippo bad but in the end it was. So I guess we'll see.

On the note of meh and "the seasonal feels" I am starting to get a bit of a seasonal funk but not in the way you might think. The colder/darker/leaf-falling season doesn't bother me. But I am falling a bit into the "ok I think I need some closure to this cross season" category just because I think I've put in an inordinate amount of work but haven't gotten the enjoyment (or results) out of it that I would have liked to this point. So part of me is pretty itchy to get to the finish line, take some time off, then outline what my offseason plan is going to look like. I'll give you a hint. There will be volume and probably at least one Zwift race a week involved.

Speaking of getting on with it, they called my Seattle bluff and I'll need to go out there for the 12/17-21 workshop after all. I figured that I was pretty safe to gamble there and I lost. So it goes. On the bright side this will come on the heels of my Louisville trip and I'll use it as a sort of transition period following the end of the cross season. Following Seattle, we'll be off to Canada for ~7 days so those 2 trips will be the break between cross and the base season starting up. Unfortunately, the workshop will be held more than 7 miles from downtown so I'm really disappointed in this one.

Today I got back to it and hit up London where I decided I would just go all-in on the 2 shorter hill climbs. Box Hill and Fox Hill. I spaced them out to give myself a rest between them. This is a sort of half-workout in that my PRs were 9 and 8 minutes before, roughly. So we're talking 17 total minutes of threshold work. Strava tells me in the end I got 15 minutes of work in. The 2 runs:

Box Hill new PR of 9:01, formerly 9:01
Fox Hill new PR of 7:57, formerly 8:01

This is somewhat significant as these are both climbs I've hit at full effort before as one-offs. So this for sure stands as evidence I am getting stronger. Each of my previous records was set as a "first pass" effort. So today I beat the Fox Hill PR on my second effort of the day. That's pretty sweet.

Tomorrow is London again, and I'm frankly not sure what I'll do with that. I guess, I mean, I suppose there is some non-zero chance I could hit up CR in the afternoon? I would imagine it's full of wet leaves right now so I'm hesitant. Plus the window between my work day ending (1-ish?) and the rain starting (3-ish?) is pretty narrow. So probably not. Plus I need to spend some time putting all three cross bikes back together. Much work to do there yet.

I watched MITHC s1e3 and part of s1e4 today and it's starting to take form. I'm glad I let it roll because now I can see some of this coming together a bit.

@BCurry - Electric Dreams added to the queue. I don't know that PKD is my style of Science Fiction.

I am itching to reread The Foundation.

choop

@UtahJoe made a statement today that I will use here. This is in regards to cross racing:
I think there's some truth to that. When I was in the Bs it was actually a lot of fun and even when I first went to the 40+ I felt the same. Even back in '15 when I was sliding down the back side of the Bell Curve it was fun but 3 years later I return and I see what he's talking about. This is something we touched on with the podcast and I think there's a lot of truth to it in the NJ series. Our local series has become one where you're either a beginner or an expert. The series itself has weeded out the middle class by watering things down too much. The classes are too many, and end up being too small. I think the masters should all race together. Merge all 4 classes. Maybe split into 40+ then 55+. Having 4 classes is too many.

I think you are getting close to the target. If I was in charge:

Race 1: Cat 4 and Cat 5
Race 2: Women Cat 4/5, 40+ and Jr. Women 15-18
Race 3: Men's 45+, 60+ and Jr. Men 15-18
Race 4: Junior Men and Women
Race 5: Elite men
Race 6: Elite Women and Cat 3 Women
Race 7: Cat 3 and 3/4/5 40+

You have 7 races instead of 8, combine some fields and can start at least an 1/2 hour later in the day.

vanseggern1

I completely agree that there are too many classes in these races. Despite my racing age being 44, I feel that I have found (a likely) permanent home in Open Cat 4. I feel that my mid pack finishes have WAY more to do with my (lack of) fitness and bike handling skills than my age.

I’ll be lining up with @Magic again on Sunday in Cat 4 which with only 20 registered as of now, is still the second largest class of the day behind Cat 5 with 22. If it were up to me, I would eliminate the 5s and 40+ 4s so that there would be 56 of us slugging it out. The open 40+ that you would be racing only has 7 signed up of which 2 are also in the Elite race so I can see how that wouldn’t be too exciting.

Anyway, just my random thoughts on a Friday morning. Good luck up north this weekend, looking forward to the recap regardless of how it goes.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I completely agree that there are too many classes in these races. Despite my racing age being 44, I feel that I have found (a likely) permanent home in Open Cat 4. I feel that my mid pack finishes have WAY more to do with my (lack of) fitness and bike handling skills than my age.

I’ll be lining up with @Magic again on Sunday in Cat 4 which with only 20 registered as of now, is still the second largest class of the day behind Cat 5 with 22. If it were up to me, I would eliminate the 5s and 40+ 4s so that there would be 56 of us slugging it out. The open 40+ that you would be racing only has 7 signed up of which 2 are also in the Elite race so I can see how that wouldn’t be too exciting.

Anyway, just my random thoughts on a Friday morning. Good luck up north this weekend, looking forward to the recap regardless of how it goes.

SCCX was a ghost town last year too. I think anyone south of 78 is going to PA CX race.

I agree that NJ should start combining categories but like Norm and I were texting, I think they'll run into the whole "everyone wants a trophy" thing.

choop

I am not sure that everyone wants a trophy, I think people, especially the 40+ cat 4 guys want a chance to not finish -1, so they hang in the 4/5 40+ field for as long as they can. It seems in some other races the 3/4/5 40+ field is fairly well attended and gives the average joe a chance to race and not be left in no mans land riding solo for 3 laps.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here's Rainey Park (while USAC, it's a non-series race):

9:15 SS Open
10:00 Cat 5 Men
10:01 Juniors 9-18 boys and girls
10:45 Cat 3 Men
11:45 1/2/3 Women, 3's scored separately
12:45 1/2/3 Men
2:00 Cat 4/5 Women
3:00 Cat 4 Men

Sunday race, no masters cats, and more than a month out, he's at almost 200 prereg'd and the 4's and 5's are sold out, with full waiting lists. Solstice CX, the same weekend on a saturday, is the PACX series finale - 21 prereg'd.

(I'm racing 1/2/3 at 12:45. I have zero doubts that I'll be lapped by Chabanov.)

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here's Rainey Park (while USAC, it's a non-series race):

9:15 SS Open
10:00 Cat 5 Men
10:01 Juniors 9-18 boys and girls
10:45 Cat 3 Men
11:45 1/2/3 Women, 3's scored separately
12:45 1/2/3 Men
2:00 Cat 4/5 Women
3:00 Cat 4 Men

Sunday race, no masters cats, and more than a month out, he's at almost 200 prereg'd and the 4's and 5's are sold out, with full waiting lists. Solstice CX, the same weekend on a saturday, is the PACX series finale - 21 prereg'd.

(I'm racing 1/2/3 at 12:45. I have zero doubts that I'll be lapped by Chabanov.)

It'll be like 15 degrees warmer in NYC. :)

Top Bottom