James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
*I feel like I need to specifically point out that this is a too soon joke

Not really. I mean, the dude in the car was literally 6-12" from some of the people in the line (apparently, I was in the front of that). And we were riding single-file and had been for some time. They guy was an out & out dick, so when the 6-2 dude just planted one on the side of his head, it was sort of like that feeling you get when the hero in the movie starts beating the piss out of the bad guys. Having said that, I'm not really into actual violence so it was a little surreal in a sense.

At that point in the game I was mostly afraid for the people who rode up ahead. This dickhead gets back in his car but thankfully he called the cops and didn't proceed to run anyone over, which is what I was mostly concerned about.

We opted to stop once we got out of car-death range and we also called the cops. The president of the MAFW was there and frankly I don't think the whole thing plays well in court if/when they use technology to figure out who we all are. I pushed pretty hard to call, and she agreed and made the call.

In the end the officer who made the arrest was a straight-up guy, and he & I had a reasonable conversation about the whole thing. In the end, there's just nothing he can do with this in terms of helping us out. He didn't see anything, so it's his word versus our word. My thinking here is that I would like to file a complaint just so in the event that if this guy kills a biker one day, he cannot really hide behind it being an accident, but just another step in a pattern of negligent behavior.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Symptoms sound familiar. Could be lymes. Or a virus.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Not really. I mean, the dude in the car was literally 6-12" from some of the people in the line (apparently, I was in the front of that). And we were riding single-file and had been for some time. They guy was an out & out dick, so when the 6-2 dude just planted one on the side of his head, it was sort of like that feeling you get when the hero in the movie starts beating the piss out of the bad guys. Having said that, I'm not really into actual violence so it was a little surreal in a sense.

At that point in the game I was mostly afraid for the people who rode up ahead. This dickhead gets back in his car but thankfully he called the cops and didn't proceed to run anyone over, which is what I was mostly concerned about.

We opted to stop once we got out of car-death range and we also called the cops. The president of the MAFW was there and frankly I don't think the whole thing plays well in court if/when they use technology to figure out who we all are. I pushed pretty hard to call, and she agreed and made the call.

In the end the officer who made the arrest was a straight-up guy, and he & I had a reasonable conversation about the whole thing. In the end, there's just nothing he can do with this in terms of helping us out. He didn't see anything, so it's his word versus our word. My thinking here is that I would like to file a complaint just so in the event that if this guy kills a biker one day, he cannot really hide behind it being an accident, but just another step in a pattern of negligent behavior.
Yeah, just a crappy situation and glad no one got hurt, especially since there were people on that ride that are probably skiddish with cars how it is and you have a rider punching someone. Makes the roads are safe argument hard to hold up. That being said, I think it takes a long time to get used to people being dicks in cars and no reacting.

rlb

Good call on trying to "get ahead of it" after the incident, I think that always goes a long way (i.e. no one here was trying to hide what happened).

IMO there seems to be a mounting argument for riding with a camera (albeit that doesn't help much in this specific example) just as a CYA thing. Think about the video from NC that was floating around a few weeks ago. Need to dig up the link of that tail light that is also a camera.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
^ here it it: https://cycliq.com/

Glad no one was hurt, though there's a pretty serious amount of fallout heading someone's way. (Hint: it's not the driver.) I'm so fucking tired of these stories. I hate like hell to read a new one.
On an unrelated note, have an awesome time on the left-coast. Hope @jShort is wrong, but he's got a pretty keen eye for this sort of thing.

Reactions: rlb

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
(albeit that doesn't help much in this specific example)

I think in this case it would have helped, because in that case it would have been easy to show he was driving so close to us. Then the complaint has more legs.

@seanrunnette - thanks for the link. I am seriously considering buying this stuff.

I am pretty sure I have a virus. It's basically a cycle of feeling fine, starting to crash hard and get cold & over-sensitive (skin/head), take advil, take nap, sweat a bit, wake up, feel better.

Reactions: rlb

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
IMG_7843.GIF

Have fun on vacation yo.

rick81721

Lothar
I hate getting buzzed like that (just happened last week) but other than yelling and giving the finger, what else can you do? Unless the driver took a swing at the biker first, I don't see how the biker is going to avoid getting nailed for assault.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would definately get checked for lymes. Eveything you describe as symptoms sounds exactly like lymes. 3 of my 4 kids including Patty all have had accute lymes with the exact symptoms you described. Dont mess around get checked.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's

This is a little strange. If he was arrested for simple assault, NJ law requires that the officer either witnessed the assault or the suspect admitted to the officer that he committed the assault. Otherwise, the officer would document the he-said-she-said and advise the victim to sign a criminal complaint on his own. If it was recorded on a phone/camera/etc, that would probably suffice for "witnessing" the assault on the officer's end.

Deny everything, keep quiet, and demand proof.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
From your description, I'd say it's a late onset of the Dengue Virus. Have you travelled to the Pacific Islands in the past 5 years?

rlb

I think in this case it would have helped

I meant that a video of a guy getting punched in the face wouldn't have helped much, a-la @Carson's reply. But I do see how some footage of the buzzing would help.

Enjoy Seattle, did you remember to pack your flannel?

rlb

I haz one. I usually only run it when I'm riding solo, but I may rethink that, and add the GoPro to my handlebars.

What do you think about it? Can you read the plate number of an approaching car? I think I remember that as a complaint from an early review.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What do you think about it? Can you read the plate number of an approaching car? I think I remember that as a complaint from an early review.

I guess so.
I should try the playback feature one of these days I guess. I've seen videos that have been crystal clear.

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
In an effort to un-derail @Norm 's thread, I posit a question: What's up the the life-points app?

Your recent numbers system jogged my memory and reminded me of this. I spent some more time thinking about how good of an idea it would be, and how deep in the red I probably am right now from the past 3 weeks (work + grad school + eating crappy + overcaffeinating + limited exercise + 4.5 hours of sleep a night). IIRC, the system was a 0-to-100 scale? I'd probz be a 12 right now. I'm in the ol' shitter. While I'm in full end-of-semester survival mode, if I had an app like this that could let me salvage my score by doing 30 minutes of yoga or something in between pulling my hair out, I'd probably be more inclined to do it.

How many minutes of yoga cancel out eating my feelings a chocolate Frosty?

Edit: I just realized that Utah may or may not have sent you a picture of me with a dozen donuts the other day. This doesn't make me look good hahahaha

Top Bottom