James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

> On a chain gang...

At a high level we go to work to live - work to live not live to work. It is a necessary evil some would say, but I would argue that it is a necessary construct to keep mankind's mind occupied. There is an age-old adage about idle hands, and in a general sense I think there is some truth in that. We humans do poorly when not given something to do. I think as our society gets easier, we get more angsty and then angry about the world at large. I think having a purpose in life takes much of that away. For many, this is work. For many of us here, it is a combination of work and the bike community.

Many would say that I have a great setup where I am now, and I would agree with this. I really like my boss. I enjoy the work and it plays to something I do well. I have really flexible hours and I am never bored. Add it all up, and I really can't complain. And yet, here we are.

I am not going to call this a complaint about my job, because I know we all deal with this. I just hope that a small number of people who read this make up this kind of work force. I don't know what percentage of people fit into this realm. But in my experience, it's far too many.

So here is the point. I sent 4 stories to test today, they were assigned to a certain individual who is from Delaware. It would probably take this individual 2 hours max to test these. Now mind you, this is part of the job they are supposed to be doing. The response was this. I am off Thursday and Friday, so I can't do this until Monday.

Essentially, I am off for 2 days, so the next 4 days I will be doing nothing at all. To me, this redefines the expression, "Totally f'ing useless."

I don't understand anyone anymore. I cannot comprehend how lazy so many people are.

> The coffee klatch...

I have to confess that I have never liked coffee ice cream.

> Dear Poo Riggy...

@jmanic thanks for the nudge to bring back the Iggy. Am I confused here, or has this Simpson's gem never been posted before?

> Tour of Dickersons...

942AE6AE-5E90-48E2-B3A0-24A758A6A8F4.jpeg

Met up with @UtahJoe to ride Mahlon today. He took me on a bunch of technical trails that were a good challenge both physically and in terms of bike handling/skills. Good day, good ride, solid all around. In all we rode for 2.5 hours and this was the replacement for my hard Tuesday ride. With all the technical stuff we had here, I got plenty of high end efforts in. Typically this would be a 4x5-ish day to work on that high end stuff. Or maybe if this was cross-specific there would be a bunch of 2s, 1s, and 30 second efforts. I feel at this point in my life, I would just as soon get the effort as "naturally" as I can. I find it's better for me to do it this way now.

Here is a breakdown of my HR today:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 9.25.39 PM.png

Note the 36 minutes in Z4 there, which is called Threshold but at a 194 HR that's really covering a massive spread. This is essentially the area I want to be working in so 36 minutes is really good. This ride does a good job getting me the workout I need without having to do the steady-power stuff that is far harder to get done on a road bike. What is the right method? Whatever gets you out there.

I put this out there as some on the team are asking for some training pointers. So I'll share whatever opinions I have on the matter. Am I an expert? Hell no. And I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So take my advice for what it's worth.

> The Crystal Ball...

Tomorrow I am going to try and do a Zwift race with @seanrunnette - this will cover my L4/threshold stuff that would come on a Wednesday. Don't focus too much on the chart above. It's not entirely accurate. We're doing a 17+ mile London flat race I think. I'll try not to lose attention and get dropped in the first 4 seconds again this time. After today I will likely hurt a lot. So we'll see how this goes.

i always feel the hr graph is giving me the middle finger.

my three ways to go with dependencies on others at work
1. f-it. it is what it is. which probably doesn't fit well with your style.
2. ask a personal favor to get it done - which doesn't work if you can't return the favor
3. apply pressure. for example: ask the test person who is covering? while they are out. Then ask their boss who is covering. with the I'd like to get this done and into production.....line. this seems to make it about workflow, rather than responsibility....although it is all about responsibility.

it is just work. it will be there. on to the next scrum......

Good stuff, thanks for sharing, Norm. I look forward to reading these with my pre-ride morning coffee.

On the subjects of HR and @UtahJoe, I have always been baffled by how low his heart rate is compared to most of us mortals. I know there are many things that factor in here and that his max HR is likely lower than most of us, but the guy holds like 270 watts for 2 hours with an avg HR of 119. I assume that 270 is probably lower tempo for him? I am also guessing that his on the bike efficiency factors in, but still...

Signed,
A relatively unknown member of the biking community

Good ride yesterday, we hit most of the technical stuff.....Its amazing how much there is to ride in mahlon now compared to when I started riding there years ago. Pretty sure I can put a 4 hr loop together in there now.

@vanseggern1 I just have a lower max....175 is about it for me now. But like yesterday, I didnt wear my hrm, but my ave hr was probably around 115. .

Good ride yesterday, we hit most of the technical stuff.....Its amazing how much there is to ride in mahlon now compared to when I started riding there years ago. Pretty sure I can put a 4 hr loop together in there now.

@vanseggern1 I just have a lower max....175 is about it for me now. But like yesterday, I didnt wear my hrm, but my ave hr was probably around 115. .

this is probably beyond what most people are interested in, but being that im getting started with some level of structured training with power. Just curious what some other peoples FTP (and ftp in w/kg) and threshold HR numbers are, just looking for (most likely meaningless) comparisons since i like numbers (damn that engineering mind)

think as our society gets easier, we get more angsty and then angry about the world at large. I think having a purpose in life takes much of that away.
Yes, I agree. Finding meaning and purpose in a job can be even more important of a motivational tool then money.
This Ted Talk was highly insightful, as a manager of people or a worker ant, you should listen to it. It's highly valuable information.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/5y8xT96sIgZpPJ45oenEtr?si=SPJY9LUESV-RspTZw3N1Kw

this is probably beyond what most people are interested in, but being that im getting started with some level of structured training with power. Just curious what some other peoples FTP (and ftp in w/kg) and threshold HR numbers are, just looking for (most likely meaningless) comparisons since i like numbers (damn that engineering mind)
well ill try not to derail @Norms blog with this...But if you go to my blog and go back to the beginning, we got into alot of training data.

I haven't done and FTP test in like 5-6 years tho. Me for example, if im doing a 20min set...(which ill do 2 or 3 of) I will do ~340-350w when im feeling good. This is road bike on mostly flat ground and minimal turns. And im 180-185lbs...Usually my HR would be 155-160 for a set....This is with my powertap...if I use my stages, 340w is usually 365-370w with the same loop, ave speed, HR.....So a WHOLE lot of number that really dont mean anything to anyone but me.

After thinking about it a bit over the past few days I'm going to move to a 2-on/1-off training cycle where the "1-off" will just be Mon-Fri and the weekends will always be in-play. I will likely look to ride my bike during the off week to some extent as opposed to riding overly easy. I didn't like the way the last 1-off went, so I want to swap it out with something different. I also intend to focus more on the pre/mid/post-ride nutrition so recovery should happen more efficiently mid-cycle anyway. This 2/1 cycle also gets me to Louisville on the second build week. So if everything goes to plan, the last 3 weeks of the year go like this:

- Rest week, with maybe a Sunday race at Westwood
- Build week 1, with a possible Solstice Saturday
- Build week 2, Louisville

Build weeks would really be a half builds at that point. We also still need to get the schedule to better lay those last few weeks out.

Speaking of Louisville, today @seanrunnette put a deposit down on a VRBO house for 4 nights. I'm probably only going to be there 3 nights because the Sunday is Simon's birthday. So I may fly back Saturday night to be here for that.

Lined up for the Zwift race today with Sean and we did our first Discord call on the ride. Everything went fine, we both made the selection, and after the prolog+lap 1 we were sitting comfortably in the 18 or so racers that comprised the pack at that stage. This was about 25 minutes in. At this point, my rider just took off and rode in a random direction as we rounded the corner to end the lap. Oh well, race over.

I submitted a support ticket to Zwift so we'll see where this goes. In the end I got a solid 25 minute effort in. On a threshold day, you might end up with 40 minutes of work. Today I got 25. Not what I was after but it was still good. The audio was good, not amazing. But good. Sean ended up 5th or 7th or 8th. I guess definitely not 6th.

Tomorrow I'm not sure what I'm going to do. We discussed a ~2 hour Zwift ride but I’ll be honest that I still feel like I have a race itch to scratch. I'm home with Julia all day tomorrow so I won't be going out on the road or anything. I don't know what the weather looks like, but it pissed down last night and just again tonight right before 8:00.

Julia came over today and announced that camping at the bike weekend is kinda boring and she would prefer to spend the weekend with my parents. I'll bring her out there tomorrow night or Friday morning, then I'll head up to Cranks Friday afternoon to rack up some miles over the weekend. I'm not sure who is going up, but me, @Dominique, @2Julianas, @MurderBort, @seanrunnette, and maybe @Magic, @Santapez, @MissJR, @WickedSistahEast, @MadisonDan should be there. @JimN was going to go but I guess he hurt himself bouncing off rocks. Not sure who else is lined up to go.

The Comments Section

@fidodie - good thoughts. I think I mostly need to stick with point #1. It is what it is. The reality is that sometimes the project just isn't realistic and this week is a good example. I am on whatever number of projects, and just 1 of them has me developing 170 points by next Wednesday. A point is an hour in our Storyboard. So 170 over like 8 days. I'm not even trying to get that one across the 50 yard line, let alone the goal line. The PS org needs to eat these missed deadlines since they do nothing to plan accordingly.

Sorry. I shouldn't talk about work. But yeah, it is what it is.

@vanseggern1 - where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?

@shrpshtr325 - I really don't know what my FTP is. I guess for shits & giggles I would put it around 300 now. Is training new to you or just training with power?

So if everything goes to plan, the last 3 weeks of the year go like this:

- Rest week, with maybe a Sunday race at Westwood
- Build week 1, with a possible Solstice Saturday
- Build week 2, Louisville
First, I like the training commentary-- both in blog form and on podcast. Question for you: why aren't you in taper mode the last 2-3 weeks prior to Nationals? Give you put in a lot of volume and high quality workouts, seems a race taper might be necessary.

@shrpshtr325 - I really don't know what my FTP is. I guess for shits & giggles I would put it around 300 now. Is training new to you or just training with power?

training with power is new, i have a decent idea of how i feel vs how i perform (i think) but having power numbers for a real, repeatable, unambiguous idea of how im doing that is independent of anything else going on. I.E. a tired sprint interval ride where holding zone 6 is hard, or a good day where zone 7 is no problem, they could both FEEL the same, even if the output isnt the same, so im just trying to get an idea. (and as an engineer i tend to overthink everything)

Zwift weirdness- I did a couple of the races this spring where the entire field disappeared at the start of the race. Another race started and my guy did a u-turn and road off the pier. The other day I could have sworn I saw a tandem on the side of the road.

@JimN was going to go but I guess he hurt himself bouncing off rocks.

I'm still planning to go, I just won't be able to ride. There were no rocks and I didn't fall, I just pulled a muscle or something, so I don't even have a good story.

Ok so im listening to the podcast yesterday and you were telling @seanrunnette how you dont watch your power during intervals anymore. That surprised me. I mean unless im doing something short, like 4min or less where the effort for each is: BLEED OUT EYEBALLS, RINSE, REPEAT......im usually always watching my power closely....Bc as you of course know...Set 1 doesnt feel like set 5....So ill use the example of something I found in one of our assembly manuals here at work the other day and said what the fucking fuck is this?????...."Torque bolt 25in-oz or best judgement" WTF? You give a torque spec to tell the assembler...."Listen your judgement sucks, so im going to remove it from this equation with a torque spec." Point being, our judgement sucks, use a torque wrench. In the case of training, that RPE (what the effort FEELS like) on set 1..for the first 10 minutes...350 feels easy as hell...maybe I can do 380 today.....However, 4 minutes into set 3...DEAR GOD WHY DID I DO THAT ON SET 1...FUCK THIS HURTS. Or...when I dont look at my power....dam...360 for set 1, thats solid...fuck, set 2 and 3 were 330 and 325. This is of course assuming that the point of your workout is maintain a steady level of power over a given set.....and of course I know you know all of this already, im just trying to further bore the audience.

@vanseggern1 - where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio?

Haha, fair enough. I guess I've been less into the scene this year, even more so than years past. However, I ran into the really low heart rate guy a few months ago where you came up in conversation and I started reading again. I also decided that I would like to race my bike in the grass this year as I remember it being a good time when I was in somewhat decent shape. Since my bike handling is still what it is and USAC denied my request to create a Cat 6, I started "training" again in the hopes of not taking DFL in some 4/5 40+ races.

Hopefully I'll see you and the others at some races. I hope you keep writing as I am one of many who really enjoys the reads (both the data and non-data stuff). Also, belated congrats on the upcoming wedding.

First, I like the training commentary-- both in blog form and on podcast. Question for you: why aren't you in taper mode the last 2-3 weeks prior to Nationals? Give you put in a lot of volume and high quality workouts, seems a race taper might be necessary.

I could be off here, but I wonder if "half builds" that he mentions are the taper. I would assume some sort of reduced volume and/or intensity.

Also, have I met you at Wednesday Worlds? I missed last night but was there the past 2 times.

Also, have I met you at Wednesday Worlds? I missed last night but was there the past 2 times.
yes, at WW last three weeks but truthfully I'm horrible with names. Give me your car make/model, bike inventory, college and/or occupation and I'll never forget. Go figure.

I ride a white & red Ridley with canti brakes. What do you ride? I'm still of the opinion that two build weeks leading directly into an "A" race is a bad idea.

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 11.01.11 AM.png

yes, at WW last three weeks but truthfully I'm horrible with names. Give me your car make/model, bike inventory, college and/or occupation and I'll never forget. Go figure.

I ride a white & red Ridley with canti brakes. What do you ride? I'm still of the opinion that two build weeks leading directly into an "A" race is a bad idea.

View attachment 75768
Yes! For some reason I remember the first week when Eric said "Here's Mr. Taylor with my old bike," which is how I put your screen name together with your bike (even though I would likely not recognize you off the bike).

My name is Steve and I was riding a hardtail MTB the first week and a red/black crux the following week. We chatted briefly last week about how scared I would be if we lined up together after you lapped me in some of the drills. Glad to meet you and I look forward to chasing you guys more soon!

So this gets pretty complicated and I will bore most of you to death. But since we are here, well here we are.

The premise of this is that training is an art, not a science. If it were a science none of this would be necessary and we would all be plug & play, and we wouldn't need to race because the robots would translate out various w/kg at specific CPs and it would just run the race for us. Training itself is an art, to be sure. But to me, tapering is like the artists artwork. Absolutely nothing works for everyone. And what works for someone today may not work for them in a few weeks.

So here is what I know, or think I know, about myself:

* @vanseggern1 has it right. If you want to read too much about it, you can here:
http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/peaking.html

Essentially a taper is just a series of high intensity workouts mixed with rest, plus overall reduced volume. You can call it a Taper, I just call it a Build. The specific cocktail or rest, work, and volume reduction is a crapshoot. You can call it Big Bird for all I care. Or Waldo.

* I typically do really poorly right after a rest week. So I don't want my 'A' race to be off the rest week.

* I do not do well with low-volume nor rest. It is best to think of me personally as a really big locomotive. My general approach is to get this thing going as fast as I can. I can carry a lot of momentum and when I am doing a lot of volume I tend to have my best performances. But the big locomotive slows down real fast. So I need to get this thing going as fast as I can, and then pepper the existing speed with bursts of effort to keep it going. Point being, if I drop from 14 hours a week to 7 on my rest week to 3.5 on the first taper then 1.75 on the race week, the locomotive will stop.

* I also know that if I cram 14 hours a week into the plan going into LV, there won't be any burst left.

* And yes, I also know that I OCD-the-crap out of everything or maybe just get addicted to it. This covers racing too. So if I am feeling good I can far overdo it. I destroyed my Battenkill race many moons ago by just pushing too hard going into the race.

X+X+X+X+X = I need to balance all of this as best I can. Another point in this is that I am putting very little stock in my performance this year. I mean you are all going to lose interest in this blog when I do my first race and come in 49th of 56. When all of this wraps up I will take the Xmas break off then come back with more fire for 2019, when I will be aiming for 48th of 56.

And so, today is 500 days without drinking. Who would think it?

Now to address the point @UtahJoe makes. I think sticking overly much to the numbers takes a lot of discipline and I have found that I am enjoying it more when I let the natural course of the workout dictate my training. I have been around this enough to know what I need to do in a general sense. When push comes to shove, I may start to fine tune with some strict power numbers but for now, this is generally how your training week should kind of pan out, in an ideal world:

Mon: Rest/easy to recover from the weekend
Tue: Highest intensity workout of the mid-week 3-day block. Often 5s, or 2s, etc
Wed: FTP work, 2x20, 3x15, etc
Thu: Tempo, ideally 2+ hours
Fri: Off, maybe easy spin
Sat: Something harder and shorter. If you are working towards MTB racing a 90 minute hard MTB ride would do
Sun: As much volume as you can on the road bike, endurance pace

The 3-day mid-week block is where the natural riding comes in.

Tue: Follow Utah around Mahlon and try to ride the techy stuff with the 30 pound bike and leave it in the big ring
Or, do the Bubble Cross practice
Or, bring your cx bike to the field and do microbursts
Or, do a local crit

Wed: I like the Watopia world for this if I am inside. Climb both sides of the original Watopia hill and call it a day. Hit it hard and as "thresholdy" as you can. Basically try to beat your PR on each side. Last time I did this I got 59 minutes of work
Or, pick an 8-15 minute loop at your park and try to beat the time Get a total of 40-45 minutes in if you can
Or, do a flat Zwift race that will last around 45 minutes

Thu: Join a local group ride on the road
Or, join a MTB ride that is just 1 notch more advanced than you are used to
Or, look up the word "fartlek" and try to do that on the road bike
Or, ride the MTB for 2+ hours and just go non-stop, but avoid the highest efforts

All of this is a way to get legit work in without having to stare at the PM number. If you want to stare at it, and are able, then go for it.

Here is what you also need to do on the hard work days:

1. Eat some food ~2 hours before any of these hard rides. PBJ is great
2. Make sure you drink enough on the ride, and consume some calories
3. Find a recovery drink that works for you. If you can't figure it out, drink chocolate milk

Really important: If you do some of these hard workouts and you feel like your body is shutting down about 2 hours later, it's because your body is, in fact, actually shutting down. You have not eaten/drank enough and now your body is going into "F this noise" mode and trying to go to sleep. It means you are not going to get the proper training effect and you won't be as ready for the next workout.

Ok that's enough. What do I really know? I can't get under 200 pounds and I haven't had a beer in 500 days. Having said that, some of the best football coaches ever appear to be bridge trolls that lived in their mom's basement for 23 years before emerging with a clipboard and a whistle. Anyway, take it all for what it's worth, which isn't too much.

Tomorrow I will cease writing about training for the following 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom