James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, so much has happened since the last time I posted.

Friday - Go to Hilltop, drop off road bikes, buy mtb shoes (I left the former ones in Austin because they were shot), work half a day, work on bikes, get things ready for the 3-day weekend, then shower and wrap up the "home" part of the day before 5:00. Then D came home from work, Alex (@2Julianas) & Mark showed up, they made us dinner, we loaded the car with stuff, and we hit the road towards Harrisonburg for the weekend. Ride was pretty much uneventful which is a good thing. Conversation was excellent so we just talked the ride away and before long we were 320 miles away from home and checking into to the hotel. The only real thing of note was that we got blistered by rain about 45 minutes before we arrived.

33707862_10156200874000993_2050877171949371392_n.jpg

Saturday

We are up at 6:30 after 5.5 hours of sleep. We meet up with Gordon (@thedoner) at a bagel shop maybe 5 minutes from the hotel and we grab some food and discuss the plan for the day. Turns out it did not rain at all that night and the trails would be perfectly fine. Gordon suggested an early start time because of the potential for t-storms in the late morning. By the time we rolled, they were pushed out to after noon.

We started the ride and it was brutally humid out. The ride was a double loop with a stop at the bottom at the car. It basically went like this: Climb a shit ton, hang out at overlook, do an incredible descent. We did that, stopped at the car, then basically did the same thing but on other trails. Up a lot, overlook (pic below), then an amazing 3.5 long descent. Wow this was an unreal downhill. Just awesome flow from top to bottom and makes me happy that summer is here and makes me so look forward to some DH parks and some Kingdom and Raystown fun. This ride ending just cemented an awesome day.

33618729_10156202848260993_1484033087644893184_n.jpg

Then we went to a bike shop where we grabbed some lunch (acai bowls), then took off to another bike shop to have both my & Mark's bikes looked at. Mine was fine but his needed some work. While we waited, Gordon showed us around his studio which is across the street. This was amazing, really cool shit. I felt like I was in a movie set or something.

33579973_10215602985283690_2550744294994477056_n.jpg

Then we took a run to grab some coffee at Black Sheep Coffee shop while they worked on Mark's bike more, went back, collected him & the bike, then went back to the hotel to shower. For dinner we hit up this place that Alex found which was a farm-to-table-ish place that ended up having really good food. After dinner we went to where Gordon was working the night, doing the sound for some band that he had produced an album for recently. He comped us the tickets so we were able to go check it out no-risk.

In all, a great day.

33599534_10156202853945993_6288122817615495168_n.jpg

Sunday

So it turns out that Alex and Mark (maybe Alex more so) are coffee addicts like I am. So we had made the decision to hit up Black Sheep for breakfast and we met Gordon there at 8:30. The rain never materialized so we were mostly good to go for the day. We could see from the hotel it was raining in pockets here & there but nothing where we were and the guy at the bike shop was pretty much of the opinion that unless it is thundering, you can ride. So we hit up the Stokesville side today and did some of the loop that @pearl had suggested.

This one was similar to the day before in that it was 2 loops, but this was a figure 8 that never went back to the car. So up, then down, then up and up a bit more, then down in a pretty majorly awesome way. Come to think of it, Gordon nailed these 2 rides as he left both days off with the total jewel of the day. The downhill was an almost 2 mile stretch of very Raystown-like descent. Awesome, excellent, whatever words you want to use. Just excellent.

33653660_10156205105650993_8140402187856510976_n.jpg

Grabbed some lighter lunch after the ride then went to a different coffee shop that wasn't as good. Got back in the car and as we drove back the skies opened up like nobody's business and it absolutely poured for a few hours. We swung by Target and got some detergent and playing cards, then went back to the hotel and cleaned up. Went to the lobby to play some cards for a bit while the bikes got washed and we waited for dinner to roll around. We took the bikes off then headed out for some Thai food which was pretty good. Back to the hotel to play more cards then up to the rooms around 11 to sleep.

Another great day. And I am not really doing it all justice by blazing through it this fast. It's the end of the weekend as I write this and I am tired. So I'm sort of churning this out quickly before I crash. But the weekend to this point has been excellent, and we seem to have a great personality fit with Alex & Mark. We all seem to be very similar with a lot of things and nobody gets uptight about anything. It makes having a good time really easy.

Monday

Since it dumped the day before we decided to drive a bit to ride, then drive the rest of the way home. Breakfast was Black Sheep again, and I grabbed some more coffee beans before we left. Hit the road and drove about 3 hours to York where an old teammate Will (@glancingaft) lives. I asked about a random park (Rocky Ridge) and he said it would be fine for what we were looking for. We got in about 9 miles and after talking to a local he said we pretty much hit everything. So we packed up and grabbed some lunch at a local place before heading home for the weekend.

33757647_10156206838490993_2553933428470841344_n.jpg

Earlier in the weekend Alex had told us about once when she was driving that a car wheel had come off a car in front of her and it bounced down the road. Well, as we are past Reading, the car in front of us loses its front driver-side wheel and it starts bouncing down the road. According to Mark, I then said, "Here we go" as I slowed down the car and watched. The tire rolled in front of us, hit the barrier on the left, then bounced out across the 2 lanes again and hit the guardrail on the right, then back to the median and ended up in the grass. Other than the car sliding off the road, it wasn't of any major consequence. But it was quite something to witness.

Drove the rest of the way without incident and made more good conversation. We had a great dynamic with them and we've already made plans for another trip later in the summer. We are pretty similar couples in a lot of ways but at the core, we all like to ride, to eat good food, to drink coffee (ok well 3 of us, D likes tea), to make jokes, and in general just to do things in life. Plus, I am not sure how many times you will be in a car with 4 people and can get away with jokes about Avocado's Number as well as CRISPR Kreme in about a 3 minute span.

Great times, great people, great weekend.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good recap.

Not sure if you knew but Rocky Ridge is where I learnt to Mtb and my parents like about 2 miles from the entrance. Also, that park always had an opened and closed signs for the trails (25 years ago), which is one of the reason NJ is so stupid for making such a big deal about having such things.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Great write up. Which parks in particular did you hit? Massanutten and the like? Also, did you take advantage of Gordon's setup and record a podcast while there? lol

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
sounds like an awesome weekend,

is Gordon originally from NJ? i think i recognize the bicycletech jersey hes wearing in the pictures. . .

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Gordo still looks super fit, not surprisingly.

Looks like a great trip. I've been talking to Mrs. G about us getting down there; this gives us a good blueprint.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@stb222 - actually I didn't know that. Funny & interesting. Good place to have in your back yard. But I doubt I'll ever ride there again.
@rottin' - Massanutten day 1, then George Washington State Forest day 2. Different sides of the valley (and route 81)
@shrpshtr325 - Gordon is originally from Long Island then moved into NYC for many years. Eventually went to Maryland for maybe 5 years, then Vernon for 7, Montclair for 3, and he's been in Harrisonburg for about 3 now. Yeah he was a local for ~10 years and did many a ride & race in NJ.
@Santapez - talk to me before you go. If nothing else, Black Sheep Coffee for sure

There is a Positive Feedback of Biking (PFB) phenomenon that happens to me with these kinds of trips where I get home and then want to put in the effort of working hard to get stronger and lose weight so the next time I go on a trip like this it will be even better. A lot of people do this sort of routine when they race, and for sure I have done that too. But I have this urge to work harder now that I am back to "normal life" so that when we suit up and head to Kingdom Trails in early July I'll be fitter & faster and I'll enjoy it all even more. I do sweat like nobody's business but man, again, I am so happy summer is here.

On the note above, "normal life" means oatmeal, salad, and salad for my 3 meals today. We ran out of oatmeal this morning, which means tomorrow is going to be either an early trip to Acme or I'll need an alternate plan.

So this week, I honestly have no idea how things will go. A 4 day week generally means that work will be 25% more busy every day. But today was normal and I am optimistic a lot of people are entering the Summer Slog that overtakes so many people for 3 months. It will give us a chance to catch up a bit and maybe work a little less in the corners of our every day lives. Having said that, I was confirmed today for St. Louis in 3 weeks, Chicago in 2, and there's some chance I may take a day trip to Delaware next week. That cropped up today on a call and I'm still waiting to hear how pressing that is or if it's even going to happen. History says no.

On that note - does anyone remember the guy's name who joined the board who is moving here from St. Louis?

No podcast this week. Got in touch with Timmy D and we were trying to work out tomorrow but the big man (@seanrunnette) isn't able to swing it. In the end Tim can't do it anyway so I'll work on next week and finding a guest. Still holding out hope for Johnny Damon.

Hit up Dickerson Mine today because D (@Dominique) wanted to do something different. She originally said LewMo and I hemmed & hawed a bit, then she said DM and I was like "Dungeon Master?" (h/t @jmanic). Anyway, in the end it's not really much further than Nassau at that time of day and it was a nice change of pace. Some decent trail in there and while it is not a destination, per se. It's something we can squeeze in after work over the next 2 months with this daylight being as long as it is now. There were some fun rock features there which were fun on the big bike.

I decided to take out the RIP today, because I need to get this bike to feel like something I enjoy riding, which has been a struggle. First thing I noticed is that the fork is leaking air, which sucks. It was at 30 PSI and when I filled it up, it immediately started pissing air out. If I put the cap on, it actually stops it. But this isn't a good thing. I have also been having issues with the rear tire staying sealed. I put it up to 30 PSI today, and it held. I know this sounds like a crazy high but it was fine. And what I have seen is that the tire does ok here, but then when it gets below a certain PSI, just dumps the air out.

Anyway, it was fun to ride the bike and with the front fork working properly, the bike didn't suck as much. I am so used to Ted2 that riding anything else just never feels right, and that was the case today. I know other bikes are supposed to do this or that better, but I am just dialed in on Ted and it's hard to get the same comfort level with any other bike. Having said that, today was a good ride with this bike and I felt good on the rocks with it. Hopefully this thing doesn't piss me off again and end up in the corner of the dungeon like it usually does.

Post-Dungeon Master dinner. No, this is not salad but this was the app we split. Main course we each got salad.

29543119_10215624676705962_5477320231506411520_n.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Problem with the fjork- valve stem?
And 30psi to start, do you weigh 70lbs?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There were 3 things of note to talk about today. Here they are in no particular order.

One

I have somehow gone from 0 to 3 trips in the next 3 weeks. It's looking like this:

Next week: Delaware
Then: Chicago
Then: St. Louis
Then I am home for a week, ha...ha.
Then we go to KT and after that San Fran. But those are both fun trips.

I am going to try to ride bikes on all 3 work trips. Reached out to the STL guy about that idea, no response yet. Delaware is an easy one with White Clay right around the corner. Chicago is still up in the air. I may try to do this Monday night when I'm out there. I may reach out to Scotty Sugent about this.

19990145_10214208215305811_1538505229646624080_n.jpg

Two

I rode Zwift today which was a function of timing + kids. That is nothing of note but my effort up one of the hills is. Up until this point the best I could really ever do on hills was the slightly back side of the bell curve. So if 200 people had climbed the hill, I'd end up in the 105-ish realm. Never quite 50%, but solid Bell Curve. No matter what effort I put in, that was my best.

Today I beat my PR on one of the climbs by almost a minute and ended up 23rd of 96. This represents a huge increase from the training-edge-of-bell-curve placement. That's about all I have there.

i-dont-know-anything-about-the-bell-curve-charles-barsott.jpg

Three

Tonight we told the kids about us getting married. Overall they were fine with it. Julia seemed like she might be upset, but it was just her being almost-a-teenager and not really showing much emotion about anything. She gave me the thumbs up and said it didn't bother her. Eventually she started getting curious and asking questions, which is a sure sign she is actually interested. Apparently Zac said, "Congratulations" and kept reading his book, which is about what we both expected. Simon was very happy at first but being the youngest then started processing the fact that his mom & dad are never going to be together again. Also pretty much what we expected. Julia was really the wild card here but she seems to not really be effected by it.

ac8597662ae63dc155af54ff6e472faf.jpg

Four - Bonus 1

@jmanic - yeah likely the valve stem. And the 30 PSI was before I re-inflated it. I should go see what it is now.

I guess I need me one of these:

SKU106957%20(1).jpg

Five - Bonus 2

This morning it really struck me that work is not fun anymore. This is a sad realization and I am not sure how this is going to play out. More precisely - I am not sure how this plays out in a positive manner. I told my boss this, and he said to me, "Dude, I had the same exact thought yesterday." I think it may be this dichotomy of coming off a fun 3 day weekend with no work only to hit the meat grinder of mediocre incompetence and just not having the energy for it. I am not going to belabor this point but I will say that it makes me sad a bit. As D says, I imagine I'll end up looking for a new job inside of a year. For now I will enjoy the opportunity to see various places they send me, try new & interesting coffee shops (my boss says a new roaster opened up in the Chicago area), and just try to make it as interesting as I can and hope for the best.

I am going to need to internally regroup in the next few days to figure out how to approach this. Wish me luck.

fun_police_the_good_times_stop_here_t_shirt-r6fcabede513f4564a975515f7c3ea7ca_804gs_512.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
work fun for me was getting things started - when nothing was known, and the estimates were +/-1000%
the only thing anyone presented was problems, and since it was so "out there" most people didn't deliver,
or contribute.

you seem to thrive in the end game. knocking off the critical problems, gauging the room.
Maybe a gambit to choose who might skip a call.

i see you wearing too many hats right now. You make major decisions, then you have to spend
time coding not to let yourself down! Being the man is great - being the men sucks ©). (i just made that up - hence ©)

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm, there is a fun park about 25min south of Chicago called Palos Trail System, part of CAMBr (http://cambr.org/SMF/index.php?topic=359.0) I rode there with my brother Pat few years ago, his go to spot when time crunched...plus not too many trails to ride near town within an hour. He still lives there, let me know if you want a tour, may be possible to arrange!

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm sorry about the work sitch. It sucks when you realize the thing you spend so much energy on isn’t doing it for you anymore. I wish you luck on your next steps. However I’m glad the marriage news went over as well as could have been expected!

Selfishly tho - what new roaster in Chicago? And @rottin' is that trail system safe for a woman to ride alone? (I think I know the answer to this one...)

JDurk

Next week: Delaware

Delaware is an easy one with White Clay right around the corner.

Brandywine is an excellent choice as well. More elevation and tech than MR/WC. Ramsey's Revenge MASS race there on 6/9, so there will probably be some pre-riding next week.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm sorry about the work sitch. It sucks when you realize the thing you spend so much energy on isn’t doing it for you anymore. I wish you luck on your next steps. However I’m glad the marriage news went over as well as could have been expected!

Selfishly tho - what new roaster in Chicago? And @rottin' is that trail system safe for a woman to ride alone? (I think I know the answer to this one...)
@2Julianas it is a popular park with hikers/bikers. My understanding is its pretty safe...that being said, my brother can show you around and give you a tour when in town

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@fidodie

Your comment about too many hats is spot-on. Right now I am supposed to be the Solution Architect, and I am supposed to be training people to be able to turn wrenches on the professional services work. But it really comes down to me doing the workshop, writing requirements, architecting the solution, then coding the solution, then teaching the client, then fixing bugs, then documenting it, then doing the go-live, then supporting it. Oh yeah and I also pretty much have to do all the PM work too because our PM sucks.

What does that equate to? Me not being able to do anything well. And I end up slapping band-aids on everything.

True story: Yesterday the PM asked me for the instance URL for the client. Mind you, this is the production URL where they keep their SDLC. She had not been in the system since May 4th. How you do not login to the system in 25 days when this is your highest profile client and you're in a post-GoLive support phase is beyond me. How has she been tracking defects and work owed? I'll give you a hint: she hasn't.

So yeah, at this pace it can't last. I just wish I could say this more often:

how-to-not-suck-at-scrapping.gif

@2Julianas

Ok so Chicago. Here is my travel map for Chicago:

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 6.41.19 PM.png

Kinda hectic so let's zoom in:

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 6.41.36 PM.png

The brown coffee cup up there is what you care about. That's Intelligensia and where you should go every morning, afternoon, and evening for your double espresso. It's just good. You want the one on E Randolph St. I don't know the other roaster but I think it's outside the city, actually. I'll figure it out and either add it, or not, depending on if it's any good. For now, stick with Intelligensia which is really good.

Also, as discussed:

1. The Purple Pig
2. Ramen-San
3. Girl & the Goat
4. Avec

If you hit any of them, awesome. If you hit all 4 you may never leave. If you are looking for quick meals, there are 3:

1. Pokeworks
2. Pierogi Heaven
3. Wow Bao

Those are quick & easy, all within walking distance of where you'll be. If you want breakfast, there are 3:

1. Yolk
2. Wildberry Pancakes
3. Remingtons

Yolk is the best all-around. Wildberry is WILDLY popular but IMO overrated. There will be a wait most likely. Remington's is good but $$$. More of a brunch place maybe.

I love talking about this stuff.

@JDurk

White Clay is really close to the hospital and I sorta know it. So it makes it easy to work. I still have to clear this with @Dominique to make sure she is ok wrangling the kids that day so I can go ride and not be responsible. Plus with this weather I am not sure it'll be possible anyway. In theory I am supposed to leave at 2:00, then I'm hoping to get a 2 hour ride in, then drive home from there. It'll all be super tight with time, and there are a lot of variables thrown in there as well. If something goes wrong, my 2:00 turns into 4 or 5 and all bets are off.

WhiteClayCreek6.jpg

Zwift

So it rained today and I did Zwift. I had 2 good efforts of note. One was coming in 2nd of 227 in a sprint. Second was another PR on another climb. I will share my text convo with @seanrunnette

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 7.08.04 PM.png

Pics

Gordon sent me more pics today from our weekend.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_9.jpg

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Norm thanks! Looks like Intelligentsia is down the street from my hotel. I will try to get to as much as I can between now and Tuesday ☕️

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
End of May Wrap-Up

It's Friday night and I realize I didn't wrap-up my month yesterday. I got caught up with the travel map which I could geek-out on all day. So anyway, how we doing?

Exercise: Total of 43.6 hours this month which is slightly below average, odd considering the only work travel I did involved exercise. I did those 2 big races but that also added a few zeros which balances out quick. Overall 228 hours on the year.

Blogging: 25 posts, slightly more than average. Been consistent. I will say that I am not necessarily maximizing my blog-time, but that's because when I am out doing bloggable things (Austin, Harrisonburg, etc) I am often rushed to sit down and write. You can only do what you can do. 122 total posts on the year.

Non-work: 25 things, also slightly more than average. Total here is 118 non-work things/events which is interesting compared to the 122 blog posts. Ideally I would do something every day but honestly, I think I made more of an effort to specifically not do anything out of the ordinary some days in May. I need a break at times. Some of the things we did:

* Iron Furnace race
* podcast (2x)
* NICA race at LewMo
* Infinity War (go see it, for real)
* Stewart pre-ride
* French Creek race
* Austin trip (MTB twice, dinner with friends twice)
* D's birthday
* Got engaged
* Philly trip (Prison, Garden house)
* Duke Farms w/ kids
* Harrisonburg trip w/ Alex & Mark
* Rocky Ridge (new park)
* Dickerson Mine ride

Weight: Lowest of the year. Got to drop my Zwift weight by 4. I think I am in striking distance of the 1XXs, and I hope to see that in June. Maybe not likely, but possible. I have lost about 15 this year in total.

Books: 3, but it was a poor month for reading. I finished Quantum Spy (Xmas present), Cinder (Julia's book), and Martian Chronicles (it's not good). I have not finished a book in 19 days and suspended my NYTimes subscription because I have piles of it laying around the house. I need to pick this up. I have finished 14 books on the year, which is good. But summer I find it harder to read.

Drinking: 417 days without one as of yesterday.

June: Looking at June the following is on the radar:

* Stewart TM day (6/5)
* Delaware (6/6)
* Dinner with friends (6/8)
* Stewart pre-ride (6/9)
* D will take Zac to a NICA race and I will fly to Chicago (6/10+)
* Stewart race (6/16)
* Father's Day (6/17)
* St. Louis Trip (6/18+)
* School ends (6/22)
* NYC Bike Tour (shout out if you want to go, but not if you're a jerk) (6/24)
* NYC city show with Julia (6/30)
* Hope to do a podcast again with guests
* Also want to ride Nassau and check out that new trail

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled program of posting things like this. This may be the accomplishment of the year. Introducing Simon to Cocoa Pebbles. He crushed 2 bowls this morning.

F yes, parenthood!

IMG_6411.JPG

Top Bottom