James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Today's number is 100. Those observant in the sequence of numbers and things like this will notice an increase of 2 over yesterday's number...The thing about plans is that with my work schedule being what it is, things so rarely go to plan.

My guess is 100 = a percentage of x, as it relates to the goal of "make x dollars this year". Or was that 2016?

If that's the case toss the laptop in the river and ride six mile twice.

Mostly because the biting flies are at their peek around here. Is it just this area or are they down south also? I ask because they drive me bat shit crazy.

They're not really down here like they are up there. For example Chimney Rock doesn't really have biting flies, but there is no shortage of gnats orbiting your head as you lug your ass up a climb like a sweaty sloth.

James Pearl thinks blogging is dead.

As soon as I started this thing, the 31 day challenge came around and I jumped in. I thought about skipping July 1 in an effort to take myself out but I said screw it, I'm going to do it. I wanted to support @jdog and promote his shop. As a race promoter that is going through a down year, I understand a little bit about the cycles in the bike world. I want to help get the word out about his shop. I tossed in a comment about riding more than me but nobody took the bait. I don't know if nobody takes me seriously, or people actually think I still have it in me. Or some people are going to drop an 80 on July 31 and call me out. I'm hoping that happens.

I decided at the last minute to commit to this - Monday thru Friday are pretty easy for me to hit the goal but on the weekends...

I saw your challenge...I'm not sure if you mean distance or time, but right now here's what I got. I'm less than thrilled to spend more than 2 hours on the road/that's about my limit now. I blame it on Gravity.

Screenshot 2017-07-20 at 06.26.18.png

Plan a big day for ringwood, like 4+ hour ride so we can do the new sterling stuff and everything else too.

I remember your last ringwood ride...FRED was on it.

I didn't realize there was a challenge (apparently "reading comprehension" isn't one of my super powers.) But to be honest, I think I probably have an advantage over a lot of folks here when it comes to time on the bike - that advantage being that I'm a childless mope with virtually no responsibilities who experiences a crushing existential anxiety if I sit still and do nothing for more than a couple of minutes. (What can I say? Some of us are just "gifted".) I wouldn't call anyone out, though. That would be kind of a dick move because while those of you in the adult world are heroically fitting in an hour or more a day into a schedule filled with actual grown-up responsibilities, I'm walking out of work every day and thinking, "what can I do with the next several hours other than drink that will make me at least momentarily forget that I have to come back here tomorrow?" That and the fact that my only real responsibility in life is making sure my cats get fed (which, to be honest, I find I have some wiggle room with since they're all kind of fat) kind of sets me up to be able to spend quite a few hours in the saddle on any given day. My own goals for this month have been to hit 1000 miles no matter who many hours it takes while avoiding injury and bike issues (my track record there kinda sucks this year) and testing my body to see if there is a snowball's chance in hell it will hold up well enough to do Shen in September.

Oh, and ... yeah ... I'll probably be dropping an 80 the last weekend of the month just to ensure I get my 1K ... and by 80, I actually mean' quite a bit more than 80."

So having three kids has really taken the air out of @Delish and my training hours. But riding yesterday, I was trying to be brutally honest with myself (while riding in the brutal heat) about why it has seemed so hard to get on the bike lately.

I haven't discussed this theory with EO so I'm curious what he thinks.

While having 3 kids is hard, and the breastfeeding no doubt puts a wrench in things too, I think the real problem is that
WE ARE STARTING TO ENJOY SPENDING TIME WITH OUR OFFSPRING

I mean, we used to (lets be honest) look forward to leaving the baby or toddlers behind to ride bikes, go to work, what have you. Riding was a reprieve from the chaos of being around tiny humans.

What I'm finding now, is that at almost 6 and almost 4, the little guys are pretty fun to be around, most days. Spending 3 solo hours on the bike, in the blazing heat, just doesn't seem as appealing as taking those guys fishing or on a bike ride.

It's also the case that in the fall/winter/spring, these kids have commitments in the form of soccer and all the other various things we do to overprogram them & send them to therapy later in life. The trap that we've seen other parents fall into... @SpartaBard with hockey, @Chris26er with softball...

Which means if you want to keep riding, you're riding alone at 5am, like @Delish did today. And, unless you're a social misfit or running away from something, riding alone at 5am gets sort of dull, day after day.

So having three kids has really taken the air out of @Delish and my training hours. But riding yesterday, I was trying to be brutally honest with myself (while riding in the brutal heat) about why it has seemed so hard to get on the bike lately.

While having 3 kids is hard, and the breastfeeding no doubt puts a wrench in things too, I think the real problem is that

I mean, we used to (lets be honest) look forward to leaving the baby or toddlers behind to ride bikes, go to work, what have you. Riding was a reprieve from the chaos of being around tiny humans.

What I'm finding now, is that at almost 6 and almost 4, the little guys are pretty fun to be around, most days. Spending 3 solo hours on the bike, in the blazing heat, just doesn't seem as appealing as taking those guys fishing or on a bike ride.

It's also the case that in the fall/winter/spring, these kids have commitments in the form of soccer and all the other various things we do to overprogram them & send them to therapy later in life. The trap that we've seen other parents fall into... @SpartaBard with hockey, @Chris26er with softball...

Which means if you want to keep riding, you're riding alone at 5am, like @Delish did today. And, unless you're a social misfit or running away from something, riding alone at 5am gets sort of dull, day after day.

this is a solid theory. You don't want to miss anything, cause it is all an adventure. Never know what they'll do next.

One thing i found was that the 1 hour soccer practice is not the time to sit around talking to the other parents about getting the right teacher next year,
cause their older sibling.....that is training time for you. even if it is jogging around the park with the training stroller for the little one - our local supermom (Tara of Tara's boot camp)
now is running while her kid rides a bike - that from jogging stroller, to towing the kid, to something where the kid pedaled....

You won't miss anything at practice, well nothing that the coach can't handle - this is also a conversation starter on what they learned. and make them explain what the coach said.
do push them at first, they will get better at this, knowing you will ask.

we need to get to games 45 minutes early - kid goes to warm up, we walk the park (w1f3 is rehabbing knee right now)

---

go to all the games, take the siblings. They will have long term memories of their "home team" always being there for them. Then taking them to a bike race where you participate is
the natural extension -

It doesn't become dull if you make it a habit. Oddly enough, I ride with more people before am than any other time.

to me, people will always come and go in the cycling world, you have lifers and you have some people who just ride the wave for a year or two.

it seems to ME (granted, not in NJ anymore, i don't have my boots on the ground) that the new "wave" of people isn't as big as it normally is. more people have left and not enough people have been replaced by it. the cx research, the numbers for mtb racing, its noticeable everywhere.... from down here.

to me, people will always come and go in the cycling world, you have lifers and you have some people who just ride the wave for a year or two.

it seems to ME (granted, not in NJ anymore, i don't have my boots on the ground) that the new "wave" of people isn't as big as it normally is. more people have left and not enough people have been replaced by it. the cx research, the numbers for mtb racing, its noticeable everywhere.... from down here.

Need a way to export strava stats per region

James Pearl thinks Liking Killed the Commenting Star

Tonight's number is 102. It is a combination of 2 numbers actually. When I first started paying attention to this number, it was 25. When I first started this stretch, before I even thought to count these numbers, it was something like -50 or so.

Now, let me tell you a story.

The date was April 10th. I woke up in Chicago in a hotel with my daughter, Julia. I felt like hell. The night before we'd gone out for dinner and I had a beer or 2. Not the big beers we tend to drink, but normal beers that people drink when they go out. At the hotel I had a bottle of wine and while I talked to D on the phone that night, I had some of the wine. The amount I had drank wasn't anything abnormal. But when I woke up the next day I felt like absolute and total shit. Things were definitely not right that day.

Fast forward a few hours and this feeling turned out to be some form of quickly moving stomach...well, not a bug, but a disruption of some sort. Let's just keep this as vague as we can and say that what goes in, must come out. And what came out that morning was awful. After that it was done. I don't know what it came from but I know it didn't feel good to wake up feeling like that.

That night before, April 9th, is the last time I had a drink. I ended up dumping the rest of the bottle of the wine out and just stuck to water & unsweetened iced tea at dinner for the rest of the trip. And of course the occasional double espresso. The way I felt that morning made me think, made me consider what the hell I was doing with myself. And here I was waking up on the Monday morning of my daddy-daughter spring break trip wondering what the hell was going on with me. While the source of my concern may not have had anything to do with the drinks, it very well may have.

I decided then that I needed to take a break from drinking. I'm not going to say that I'll never have another drink for the rest of my life. In fact, it is highly unlikely this statement is true. But for right now, I think it's accurate to say that I am not drinking. I think it was @capedoc that noticed it first in Raystown, then @gtluke in Kingdom. And of course @Kirt as I came home from Chicago and gave him my entire supply of OH at the time. He still owes me pizza for that. I didn't forget!

So that was the first number. On April 10th that number was 1. Today, that number is 102. But that is only half of the equation.

Eventually I needed to combine this non-drinking with getting my ass back on the bike. So I started paying more attention to the Strava goal widget that's on the sidebar of the page. This year I had set a modest goal of 365 hours in the saddle. At the time I was at 1 in my drinkless count, I was probably 40 or 50 hours behind pace, probably more. I really didn't start paying attention to that until later.

My first official recorded score was 25. 64 days in a row, 39 hours under pace. Total of 65-39=25.

So yesterday I was at 101 and -1, which was a total of 100. I was hoping to nail 100 days without beer on the same day I zeroed out my goal deficit. I missed by 2 days but that's all well and good because it's close enough. I've knocked out a bunch of hours this month so I knew I was going to catch it soon. Now the trick will be to stay on pace with everything and to start adding hours to my total. In theory it would be great to get to 400 hours on the year. Sure, I am not the 480 hour/year rider I used to be, but then again, who knows what the future brings.

So that is that, there's your story.

Where do we go from there? Who knows, probably 103 or 104 tomorrow. I really just live this part of my life one day at a time, sort of like the Dred Pirate Roberts. "Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning." Then you wake up in the morning and hope it just keeps going and you keep riding and feeling better and being able to balance this hectic lifestyle we have. And that the Dred Pirate Roberts doesn't kill you.

Since hitting the like button isn't enough for this one...

Is this your man with 6 fingers? Had stopping been on your mind for awhile? And it needed to be confronted?
Or was it really just a seminal moment? like broadcasting the buggles for the first time?

Awaking in the morning after a night of not drinking is a wonderful thing. Probably have about 50 of those in the book
this year, and another 50 of 1 beer myself. No fuzz, no getting up 3x in the middle of the night to trip over the cat.
The kids notice the drinking too (it makes such an impression, i'm not sure they notice when it when i'm not drinking.)
it is hammered into them in health class, like smoking was "back in the day"

Wanted to work the word inconceivable in here somewhere, but it is easy to understand - putting it into action is the challenge.

Have fun storming the castle.

Good on you for not drinking. We seem to be at a place where if we don't drink people think something is wrong with you.
It's a shame. Everywhere you go someone offers you a drink and when you refuse or tell them you dont drink you get weird looks.
Best excuse to throw is... I'm on antibiotics....

Back
Top Bottom