James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wait. This is illegal? Serious question, is it legal if I keep one hand on the wheel? Also, are we talking burger and fries or chinese food with fork/chopsticks? Asking for a "friend" who has been known to eat burgers and/or fries while driving.

Officer's discretion really. If what you are doing can be deemed careless then it's a violation. 39:4-97 is very vague and broad.

huffster

I went through a "read the classics" phase a few years ago. I read a bunch of the books I was supposed to read in high school but didn't .

I read To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, Of Mice and Men, The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, Moby Dick, Lord of the Flies and even The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. It all came crashing down when I tried to read The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. That was torture and the streak was ended.

Of all those, I think I enjoyed Animal Farm the most. I think I read it in a couple hours. Made me wonder why I couldn't manage to read it in HS, but I know the answer...............weed.

I started To Kill a Mockingbird - One of the classics I had never read.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
With the exception of school being delayed 2 hours, today was an ordinary day.

Given the travel I've been doing lately, the days I stay at home, work, and ride Zwift tend to be more or less boring. I could talk about Zwift, about how I finished the Everest Challenge only to find out that the Tron Bike is an additional 132,000 feet of climbing. But that would be interesting to maybe 2 people and 1 of them already knows. I am finally getting a smart trainer, compliments of Jay via Utah. I am going all-in and buying a Wahoo Kickr because why not? This will make that Help the Suez (or whatever that climb is called) more realistic, whenever it comes out. And whenever I get my trainer since Utah wouldn't drop it off for me.

Otherwise, today was mostly about work, which is still a scramble. We had a call with other new guys today to talk about some of the in-flight implementations and I will not bore you with the details. But the net-net is this: we have exactly 0 additional people working on our projects now. So my work load does not go down. In fact, it probably goes up because my boss is now busier than ever with strategies and roadmaps. That leaves more on me. I'll do some work after I hit submit on this. Fun.

My travel will remain hectic for a while. Next Wednesday I will do a onesie and wake up in Jersey, fly to Chicago, then fly home and go to sleep in Jersey. I could fly out Tuesday night but I'm going for the one-off on this one to minimize time away from home. It'll just be like one long ass day that starts at 4am and ends at like 2am. Wow, saying that out loud makes it all sound really dumb. Then Friday we go to Florida for a week for spring break.

I'm really busy. So right now I am just trying to enjoy the down moments in life. And submit expense reports. That's a blast.

IMG_5993.JPG

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This morning was a veritable cornucopia of errands. In theory I was working today but I decided to start late. In order:
  1. Met @UtahJoe at his work so I could pick up my new Wahoo Kickr.
  2. Stopped in at Trader Joe's for some food stuffs, mostly to grab D some frozen lunches for her to bring to work
  3. Up to route 10 to the Chinese market, which was not opened yet
  4. Hopped on 287 and called my mom
  5. Hardware store for some air filters which we change every 3 months
  6. Down to the Chinese market on 22 for the Japanese curry boxes. I also found some warm sesame balls and bought 1 for myself
IMG_5996.JPG

After that I finally got to work. In between the 12:00 and 2:00 calls I setup the Kickr so I could ride after 3:00. I needed to swap out the cassette as it came with an 11 then I did a spin-down to calibrate it before the first use. It registered on my Zwift when I tested it so it seemed ready to rock & roll when it was time.

Much to my surprise, the guy leading the 2:00 call dumped it on me at about 2:20, which meant that I ended up having to go pick up the kids with my laptop on the passenger seat, talking through 35 slides while I was driving there to get them. Not sure of that is a violation Officer @Carson but I can say this is not something I want to be doing with any sort of regularity. In fact, once is plenty. After the kids got in the car I sat in the school lot with the computer on my lap still walking them through the rest of the slides. By the end my throat was so sore from talking through this cold, it was all I could do not to cough without the mute on.

When I got home I jumped on the new indoor contraption and got to it. After 1 ride I will say that this makes the experience considerably better. I enjoyed Zwift before, obviously. I like it more now. Having the natural undulations in the road vary the resistance on the trainer makes the experience far better than the dumb trainer. Also, the feel of the ride is way, way better than the wheel-on variety. Someone asked me if it was worth it on my IG post. After 1 ride it is really hard to say for sure but my initial indication is: F yeah it's worth it.

Then I made Japanese curry for dinner.

Then we went to see the MIddle School production of Mary Poppins.

IMG_5997.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wonder if the GTA version is coming out soon? Keep it interesting. Oh. Deathwish. Last Rider upright!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would say there were 3 things of note this weekend:

1. Mary Poppins

EE3BD926-AAAC-4AAC-8290-653E3DD7637D.jpeg

On Friday night we went to the Central school where Zac & Julia go and saw the Drama Club's production of Mary Poppins. I am not going to sit here and say it was anything amazing, because it is a play with 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. But it was good enough given the age of these kids, and it's good for our kids to see their classmates putting themselves out there like that. Julia expressed some interest in trying out next year, but we'll see how that goes. She's kind of afraid of attention like that.

2. Guys & Dolls

64EC6FB7-D91B-4D7D-B82B-02E87454D8BD.jpeg

Saturday night was the Watchung High School production of Guys & Dolls. I guess we were expecting a better performance than the night before but that would be an understatement. These kids, while just 4 years older (or less in some cases), were light years better than the Central School kids. It's obvious that the high school kids are serious about what they're doing, and it shows up on stage. We were all blown away at how well this was done. I can say that we'll be looking for more local productions like this, as it was beyond a pleasant surprise.

EE012BA1-98C1-426F-BE2C-FD7A62ECC204.jpeg

3. Skiing

@Kirt let me off the hook for TM today so I joined D and the boys skiing at Camelback today. While you could probably argue that I should be showing up to the TM and helping clear the fallen trees for the race, this is really the only way I can justify my work demands and home responsibilities and keep promoting races. If we had nobody else, I would have made it. But we seemed covered to I skipped out to go skiing. I was told nobody died.

AF7C3FD7-9B48-4819-9E49-AD45EBD877D4.jpeg

The day was a great one to be out there. Conditions were good and it was nice and warm, and for the most part sunny. I felt like this was a bit of a turning of the corner for me, as things started to come together faster & better than they had before. I felt like I was "feeling the edges" as @UtahJoe says, though I admit I am not 100% sure what that means since I am blind in a sense. But I felt more in control and I even skied my first ever black diamond trail today. I pulled the plug after 5 hours but that is the most I have ever been out there in a single day.

2E93E2E7-BC1A-4A9E-A5FC-99D81CFBDAEA.jpeg

Fore.

Biking was nothing of note other than the Kickr. Second ride confirmed that this thing is great. I rode maybe 3 hours over Friday & Saturday. I took today off so was only at 9 hours for the week plus whatever Chicago walking I did plus skiing today.

I think I am going to Chicago Wednesday, maybe Tuesday also. Maybe neither.

I know I am going to Florida Friday.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I began my day wondering what the hell was going on, for the most part. D told me it was time to wake up, and I informed her that no, it wasn't even 6:30. She said that the alarm had gone off and it was now past 7. I hadn't heard the alarm at all, and had somehow dropped back into oblivion after having woken up just after 6:15. It was almost like someone shot me with anesthesia and I passed out for 45 minutes.

The first call of the day was a contentious douchebag from Delaware which rolled into a dev call at 10:00. I drove north on the call for a respite between work "things". I found out this morning that my all-day Wednesday Chicago trip has turned into a part-Tuesday and part-Wednesday trip. So I'll be leaving tomorrow late afternoon and returning Wednesday night. Actually, this will be exactly the same departure and return flights as last week, just 1 day later. Last week was Mon/Tue and this week is Tue/Wed. I'll be staying with my boss again but this time I won't be going into the city when I land. At least I don't think so.

The call ended just as I pulled into the driveway of @seanrunnette. I delivered his bag of coffee from Chicago, accepted one from his freezer stash, and then I met his mom and our #1 fan. Then we headed out to [the unnamed free-standing entity in the back] and did a podcast which was surely longer than it should be, but which is always enjoyable for me. I really do like this excuse-making in an effort to go spend time together. I'll be out again tomorrow so maybe I'll try to find more coffee, though I am not sure how much free time I'll have to search for stuff.

I don't think we'll find many coffee roasters in Florida so that trip will probably be without a coffee-link. I'll have to come up with some other reason to go visit up north. I originally thought Denville Dairy would be a reasonable reason but their flavor selection is limited. I am not liking that they only have vanilla PB and not chocolate PB.

So episode #23 is in the books. The Michael Jordan is recorded. Sean wants us to vow to get a guest next time which I am all for. We just need to figure this out.

Had to jet out from Sean's with 1 minute to spare to get on a Duke call then got home and got on a Minnesota call. The next GO-NOGO call is Wednesday and after Friday I was cautiously optimistic that we might get the GO this time. After the call today I fixed 1 of the issues, then had a call with someone to try and iron some stuff out. Well, it turns out they want things a certain way and ok, fine, it is what it is. Well one of the guys internally is kind of having a meltdown about this so I had a talk with my boss and told him I would take it and fix the damn thing. I am so at the end of my rope with this org that I will gladly sacrifice personal time to make this thing go away. I took care of it while we watched Luke Cage tonight.

Hopped on Zwift late afternoon and did Richmond for 2 hours. Was holding up over 220w for 1:50 then my boss called so I soft pedalled the remaining 15 minutes or so which lowered the average. Strava still says it was a 224 weights and 231 Coggan which is better than I usually do inside. I also just looked in Strava and my Power Curve tells me that this ride's 2 hour power was better than anything in 2016, 2017, and 2018. Granted many rides in the time were not with power. But that's saying something. I feel like this year is coming together very well so far.

Next 2 days will be predominantly picture-travel blogs. Will try to make them as interesting as I can. I'll hit up London hills before I leave tomorrow.

Oh I got my powercal HRM strap. This is an experiment in the making. More to come on that...

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I woke up today with a new lowest weight, and having accomplished my March goal of seeing a 0 as the middle number of the scale.

Always good start to the day lowering your Zwift weight, though I forgot to do it and didn't change it until the end. Regardless, I set 2 PRs out of the 4 climbs in the Surrey Hills in the London world this morning. Did a 2 hour ride after D left for work.

D8A06E7E-A7BC-44AC-BFD0-B10D1A828838.jpeg

Showered up and packed, which equates to basically a laptop, a change of clothes, a book, and little else. So it takes about 6 minutes to pack now. Got the Uber to the airport, in which I worked the whole drive. This is sort of what I imagine self-driving cars to be. You just get in and do whatever you want - work, read, sleep, whatever. I used to talk to the Uber drivers but now I typically either read or work. Today I am busy, so I had to work.

Got to the airport, did the TSA thing, got a tea and setup camp with this amazing view. Nothing like the image of bottled piss-water to inspire you.

DB0259B1-8739-4673-AFA8-9EA3855B9D4D.jpeg

I had what I thought was a pretty good block of work in that time. It would only be later that I would realize that I should have just spent the time pissing up a flag pole. That's what literary types would call Foreshadowing.

Eventually the plane showed up.

1AD97B0C-61EB-40EB-ACCA-8404A444F321.jpeg

I had a really good number today due to the lateness of the booking this trip and the tiny difference in price in the tickets. So I was on the aisle, row 3. Next to and behind me was this self-important wind bag who talked so loudly you could hear him in Chicago before we left the ground. As soon as we took off he started snoring. Looking good. Hope you don't read this blog. But if you do, NGAF about your business at that decibel level. And you snore loudly. Might want to get that checked.

77A8C79E-AD7E-43C6-967B-A0E0001DD171.jpeg

Flight was uneventful. Read the NYT Magazine, did some sudoku, and read a little Mockingbird. Pilot said the landing was going to be rough but it was pretty easy.

Hopped in the Uber, worked more, took it right to my boss's house. I have his garage code now. Went in, made a cup of coffee, worked a little more. He came home with his wife and we went to dinner, at the same place I missed last Tuesday when I flew out early.

Steak & bone marrow. Really amazingly good:

36DC00AB-894D-475A-BAAA-C9B6EC784A52.jpeg

Then this like purple sweet potato dessert. OMG so good!

39357BBC-8924-4820-8BCB-BABFA6C25777.jpeg

Gonna go ahead and guess that tomorrow morning I would not be at my lowest weight of the year. But I don't really care too much.

Worked some more and came to the conclusion that the Go-NoGo decision is pretty much dead. I tried to fix up some more of someone else's work only to realize it is far too gone to save. Big sigh. Tomorrow will be a sad day yet again. I'm tired of this project.

Tomorrow I should find out more about Austin. Should, but probably won't.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Woke up at whatever time it was, just laid in bed because I didn't feel like waking up. Feeling worn out again this morning and frankly more or less pointless today. Aside from dinner last night there was pretty much nothing in the "fun" column on this trip. It was kind of a Robot Goes to Work sort of excursion. When I realized I had no towel to take a shower I just remained in bed waiting for anyone to wake up, and did some work. This is a fairly common site the past few days:

02CE969A-581B-4B63-BD90-8E35D9F05E82.jpeg

Again, I feel it is only fair to give you the low points as well as the high points. Who knew there was such a thing as Peach Cheerios?

6FF6D26F-465B-45A0-8BAF-C26F79DE1039.jpeg

Got into the office and met Pierre, who is the guy in charge of the Healthcare "vertical". As it turned out he and I found ourselves with some time together so we had a little one-on-one about what I wanted to do. He thinks Product Management is a good fit, which may or may not be the case. Not having formally been in it, I cannot say for sure. I am not sure how I will feel about not being in code at least some of the time. I guess we'll see. I will say I was impressed that he met me and said, "Joe! From New Jersey, right?" In this day and age of zero attention span, I was impressed by this.

Again, not a 4 star lunch.

4F2B189C-6871-4856-8AB1-07D583BEEE81.jpeg

I absolutely busted my nuts working on 1 of the 2 remaining issues before the Go/NoGo call at 2:00 and I was able to get them to pass it before the call. Unfortunately something that has been working for months and was not touched in forever broke over the last 2 days. So despite the effort, it looked like we were going to get the dreaded NOGO vote on the call today. But they gave it a 24-hour extension for us to try and work out this issue. I told them I was pretty damn confident I would be able to figure it out before the call tomorrow.

Then had a Seattle call which was meh, but I had to attend. And then our little band broke up as my boss & Pierre went to Minnesota and I went back home. Poof, just like that the day was over.

I am becoming an aficionado of Godiva dark chocolate at Midway airport.

B0A52FAA-B576-42A7-956B-E2FCD74E8290.jpeg

Took the long walk to a 2-terminal extension which I had never seen before. Strange but every airport seems to have these oddities

FB0FF273-EEAD-4287-ACDA-ADCB8BB9FCA2.jpeg

It was nice & quiet in here and I worked for an hour before the boarding. I had figured out the problem in the Uber to the airport and it was a beast of a platform limitation (plus a customer data issue) which I was not sure how to address. After tooling around for a while, I managed to identify some of the data elements that they are importing as essentially garbage. Ok, this is all well and good but its not something we can drop at such a late date. Plus this data is in dev and I am not sure it is actual data. So I tossed the Stack Overflow-causing code into a try-catch block and called it a day. It seemed to work. Holy shit, we may have gotten the green light on this Minnesota Monster.

Just read Mockingbird on the flight and had 2 cups of coffee. It was abnormally good and the flight was more or less uneventful. Heading home in the Uber now, ahead of schedule. Was supposed to land at 9:25 and as I sit her flying down 78 in my pseudo-self driving car, it is now 9:30. Will find something to scrounge for dinner when I get home shortly.

Tomorrow night Pennsylvania. The following day Florida.

Oh . I got out of the first Austin trip, which would have had me flying to Texas the Sunday morning after Florida. I am torn on this, as it sounds like a really interesting event. And if I am trying to get into product development/management, this is something I should be attending. At the same time the travel is adding up lately, I really can't afford to lose a week of work, and I'll need to go to Austin for the New Hire stuff anyway. So in the end, it's probably for the best that I don't follow-up the week away with another week away.

Fun fact: In March I was away from home for 8 days (soon to be 11) and did not stay in a hotel once.

Top Bottom