James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's funny. Nobody said anything? I get nervous over at the mountain house, they have been operating since colonial america and I think they are still permitted to shoot intruders and minorities ;)
Keep your head up and look like you belong there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tonight we went to spin class early and we got home, then between TV and chipping away at some work stuff, it's suddenly almost 10:00 at night. I had plenty of time to sit down and write a post, yet here we are late in the day.

So I got a full-time job. The life of a contractor is (and was) great. But an opportunity has come up that I felt was a good one to jump at. In reality, it is pretty much no-risk as the contracting house I was using is still there, and if this doesn't work out, it'll still be there. So I am giving this a go. I had these show up at the house last weekend:

17152B2E-91E0-47D1-A298-2B995DF8A543.jpeg

I have no idea what that phone number is. I guess I should call it and see if it forwards to my phone. Or if one of you wants to call, go for it. But can you do it tomorrow morning?

I am also a TPA, which can be a Technical Product Architect or a Toilet Paper Aficionado. Or the A can stand for Asshole. Feel free to make up an abbreviation.

My main role is to help design the product, working as a connection between the clients, sales, support, and development. Technically I am part of development. My role is a mix of customer-facing requirements gathering that I use to help shape the product, enablement of 3rd party contractors to help implement the product, and development when I have the time. There probably are very few people reading now. @Dominique has told me that the only people who really understand my work babble are @fidodie and @jmanic. Hey guys, how's it going?

I travel more with this job, which I like as long as it's not too odious. I was supposed to go to both Chicago and Durham this month but it looks like they both got canned. Other possible destinations the first half of the year are those 2, plus Delaware, Seattle, Vegas, Louisville, Minnesota (maybe 2 different ones), Stanford, Phoenix, and honestly who the hell else knows where. I think of those 10, I'll do maybe 3 of them. We have all sorts of irons in the fire so they kind of come and go randomly. If I go back to Durham I'll hit up the art museum and whatever else Steve insist on.

So that is that. I have been exclusive with this company since March so as much as it seems like a "new" job, I am just going from consultant to FTE and nothing changes, other than I have more free reign to help in other areas that I was kept out of before.

So yeah, I work. New year, new job, new something or other. Looking forward to seeing what all this amounts to in the coming year. WIsh me luck. I'll send food pics when I'm out and about.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good luck.
Resisted urge to call number, maybe tomorrow while on the trainer at 5am? Prolly not.
Wait for May, maybe June for Minnesota, but not too long. Winter is September to late April. No opinion on the others.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good luck with the new gig.
I love the not afraid to try.
You and certain friends have this, and I admire it.
Don't forget to steal some Post-It's.
A full time gig means never having to pay for office supplies.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Are you still working from home and texting on rollers? Good luck Norm!

jackx

So that is that. I have been exclusive with this company since March so as much as it seems like a "new" job, I am just going from consultant to FTE and nothing changes, other than I have more free reign to help in other areas that I was kept out of before.

congratulations on your transition!

Soundz like a lot of travel, but I am sure it will be nice to get paid holidays and benefits.

I hope this doesn't mean a change from billing 40 hours a week or more and getting paid for every hour you work versus now getting paid for 40 hours and working a lot more than that.

Best of luck in the connectiv, ext. 704 a.k.a. Seven of Four.

rlb

Congrats on the gig. It's nice when someone on the other side actually notices who the real players are!

This is the first thing that came to kind when you described your role:

ncizp.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Good luck with the new role!

This is interesting, as "you" will now have to submit requirements/CR/MR/bug reports to the developers
who may not have been held in the highest esteem about a year ago. Will you get to choose the 3rd party team members?
or are they just supplied?

get a standing desk ????

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude...I mean you told about all of this a while ago...but not the actual name of the company...Their headquarters are in La Jolla? I would demand they relocate you...like tomorrow.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Congrats on the new gig! I think I have a pretty good idea of what it's about, but the term "customer-facing requirements gathering" just gave me PTSD and I'm now sitting under my desk in the fetal position repeating "it just doesn't matter" over and over as a urine stain starts to spread out beneath me. You see, I'm the "real" customer of many of our apps here (the actual user) but I'm never allowed to be involved in requirements planning because if I was actually allowed to speak to people who are on the development side and work out the issues with them directly in language we both understand, then the people whose sole purpose in life seems to be making Microsoft Project Timelines might prove to be unnecessary, and that's unacceptable to ... someone ...

Dominos

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Congrats! I also understand your job description, as I also used to do something like that. I think of it as a person who has people skills and a business mind, but also technical skills and a technical mind.

Top Bottom