James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

I highly debated getting into the world of zwift this winter but feared boredom after a large dollar investment. I have a bad track record with riding bikes inside. My interest fades quickly. So I decided to hold off on buying an expensive smart trainer.

Hearing you are bored with it makes me feel better about that decision.

I gotta get back in shape to join these group rides.

I bought another Kurt Kinetic Road Machine in December. Still have not hooked to 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8.

#success

I highly debated getting into the world of zwift this winter but feared boredom after a large dollar investment. I have a bad track record with riding bikes inside. My interest fades quickly. So I decided to hold off on buying an expensive smart trainer.

Hearing you are bored with it makes me feel better about that decision.

I gotta get back in shape to join these group rides.

You can't use Norm's situation of getting bored as to not get or use a trainer. Norm's probably put more time in the saddle on Zwift this past winter than most people do all year.

It's probably not boredom that's making him ride outside, it's sunshine and days over 50 degrees...

You can't use Norm's situation of getting bored as to not get or use a trainer. Norm's probably put more time in the saddle on Zwift this past winter than most people do all year.

It's probably not boredom that's making him ride outside, it's sunshine and days over 50 degrees...

That’s the thing... if Norm got bored, and he can do millions of hours, I’d get bored in four even if it’s raining anvils. My motivation (and willpower) with indoor riding has always been incredibly low.

I typically lose weight over winter months, due to restaurant not being open in January and February. This is the first year where the scale hasn’t fully cooperated with me. I chalked it up to a carb laden diet this winter, lots of pasta and rice; and getting older.

Being a cross between an endomorph and mesomorph and playing an ectomorph's game can be a real mind f*ck!

Try swimming with the current and introduce "real" strength training. And watch how beast you will be at cross.

Hartshorne & Huber: A Bike Ride

Continuing with the theme of "Let's ride outside," I decided last night that I was going to hit the Double H combo this morning. I'd take off when the kids took the taxi (D) to school, ride for 2 hours, then see where the day left me. I sent @rottin' a text asking him for a loop and he drew me this:

IMG_7573.jpg

The drive down here is really a haul, in total it took me an hour to get there. If this park were 4 miles away from the house like CR is, I would probably ride there all the time. But as it's so far away, I get down here every year or 4, depending on the decade. Actually, Strava says I have ridden here 3 times ever. 2007, 2016, and today. I guess I need to get out of the house more.

It was cold this morning, colder than it's been but once I got rolling it was a non-issue.

IMG_7571.jpg

You will note the map above does not outline how to ride Huber and in what direction. When I asked Brian what to do there he said something like, "Ride it all, it's 5 miles." So I went blindly across the way and headed into the woods, in the process passing a guy on a unicycle. At some point some dude was coming out of the woods and I asked if he knew the place. He said yes so I asked if I could follow him. He said sure, and his name is Tom.

Fast forward 2 hours and I did the rest of the ride with Tom, who it turns out knows Mandell & Ross Anderson, and knows @Mitch only by his Strava name. He's a H2/Allaire regular but often rides off hours, like today. He was free all day so he gave me a full tour, doing all of what Brian sent me and then some, since I told him I wouldn't be back this year. I guess maybe I should come back more often? IDK, it was fun. But like I said, really far away.

Loop here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/2282241907/overview

Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 7.28.43 PM.png

Conditions today were perfect, and when I say perfect I mean it may be about as perfect as dirt gets anywhere in the world. The place is really a lot of fun and would be a total destination if it weren't for the sporadic hell-climbs that litter the park. I think D would love it here, but you'll be cruising along and a really shitty, washed out climb will punch you in the face. It's nothing impossible but it certainly breaks up the flow a bit. Having said that, I may try to get her out there this year, especially if Brian invites us over for a ride and a BBQ one day. No pressure.

Tom was a great tour guide as he took the thinking out of the equation for me. It's always good not to have to look at the map when you're out there.

After the ride I took a cruise over to Rook Coffee, which is a place that @Santapez recommended. Turns out there are a few locations down here. I had a 1:00 conference call so I decided to hit this place up, grab a bite to eat, get some coffee, work a little bit, then drive home during the conference call. As it turns out...

1. No espresso
2. No place to sit
3. Almost nothing to eat

The coffee was fine, if not a tad light for my tastes. It was supposed to be a pour-over but it took them 30 seconds to make it. I'm happy to see places like this popping up, as it gives you much better choices than Starbucks or DD for coffee. But I probably won't go out of my way to stop here again because it's not somewhere I can get work done. I took my backpack with me, as I figured I might be out until it was time to get the kids. Instead, I drove home and took the call at home.

I grabbed a coffee for the road.

IMG_7572.jpg

Zwift

I still rode Zwift 9+ hours last week, out of a total of 16 on the week. As such, it was somewhat imperative to ride my bike somewhere other than the basement. I can't say enough good things about the smart trainer and Zwift. In the last year I have probably done 300 hours inside and it's why I'm able to just walk out the door and drop 60 miles on a Sunday then ride a double Monday and then a double Tuesday and then drill 2 hours Wednesday and then ride 20 miles at H2 this morning.

But I'm tired. I felt every ounce of those 205 pounds going up those goddamn hills today.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to sway anyone who isn't into it. I mean that's not really my intention. Just clarifying that it's really just hard to keep doing 2-3 hours a day inside for 3 months straight.

jersey shore coffee roasters would of been a chill spot to drop in for a bite to eat (they carry the buttered biscuit variety) and have an area to hang out.... the only issue is that it feels like youre in a basement the whole time... decent coffee... bummer about your rook... usually good.. which roast did you get?

@Norm First of all, you're welcome...lol. that map had arrows and all haha. Second, I was not wrong about Huber. Doesn't matter which way you go, you'll hit it all. Third, We'll put something on the books this year (or maybe 2020 based on your H/H timeline) for a ride and BBQ. Fourth, and probably most important, how many feet of elevation did you get? :p

-I'm pretty excited about the BBQ & Hartshorne ride.
-Norm, you are always talking about the weight. Do you notice a huge difference in outdoor vs indoor in regards to the weight? Zwift seems to be watt/kg based but it's still a stationary position. So I wonder how flat/hills feels in zwift compared to flats/hills outdoors. I'm just curious how close Zwift gets it.

*The 2007 ride was with me, when I was still riding 26" wheels.

*Hartshorne has not improved since that ride.

*A legit choice for coffee (espresso) and food would have been Booskerdoo, in Fair Haven. They're a really solid local roaster who have a few retail locations and their own bakery. They do really good work. https://www.booskerdoo.com/

*I hope you can make it down here again before the year is out.

Last edited:
Riding indoors= kg
Normal riding = lbs

Metric sux yo, that’s all for now

hmm,
hmmm,
hmmmm......

you know people have the same kg on the moon as on earth....they just can't breath there. like VO2min would be important....

Reactions: w_b
So much happens these days. The reality is that after the last banning event, I've been reading every thread on the board trying to keep tabs on what is going on. Ok, full disclosure, I don't ready them all but I review them. So I spend a lot more energy on the board in general, which means I end up posting more outside of this. So to Matt's suggestion that @Pearl is right, well this may be a micro-local truth but in the grand scheme, it is not.

I did a NICA post here:
NICA’s 2019 Season Opener: A Refreshing Perspective

team-shot-768x512.jpg

If you follow the MTBNJ blog or me on Facebook, you've read it. Since the race last weekend, I have gone through the steps to become a coach so now I'm a coach on the Veloraptors. This is simply going to take more of my time as well as writing/creativity cycles. It's not a good nor bad thing. It's just a thing. I was pretty impressed with the whole show at Camden so other than the Mooch race conflict, I am all-in for 4 of the 5 NICA races this year.

I've been riding a lot. I ended up inside today because of the rain. But I have been outside most days this month. I'm hitting up some parks and I have been enjoying the road again. The last few years I have been iffy on the road but I am into it again this year. Just like that, BOOM, I'm really enjoying it. I have done a bunch of things but as I have not done this in a while, I won't list them out. It's on Strava if you care.

k-JIuVKgU7xU3E_7-ltYT7TaTpbzVgLWmz_t6ROUJ-0-2048x1536.jpg

Work sucks. A week after my boss left, the 2nd of the Original Four tech guys left. And the 3rd is on 6 weeks of paternity leave. Guess who's left? I'm not going to belabor this aspect of my life right now because it's not a happy line of conversation.

Unfortunately the 2nd CR Monday got cancelled and it looks like the 3rd is on the ropes.

@RobW - noted on jersey shore coffee roasters.

@Santapez - Not sure, because honestly Zwift is a closed system in a sense. While it may be accurate from a physics standpoint, it has no air resistance nor rolling resistance. The hills in Zwift are there, and it's hard, and when I forget to change the weight after D rode, it's way easier.

@ChrisG - turns out that ride was on on Strava, so it must be even older. I went back to the 2007 ride and it wasn't the one we did. So I guess I've been there 4 times. Is Booskerdoo the place Allaistair hangs out? I saw him somewhere once, maybe the one in Asbury Park. I will do my best to ride there with you but also Allaire.

Easter is tomorrow. I hope you all have a splendid day.

scary-wtf-easterbunny.jpg

Is there an equivalent black river roaster near? The brownie picture has me craving.

Back
Top Bottom