James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My Bonus Day Off

At 10:00 Friday I was in the back seat of my own car while @UtahJoe was driving us north to Rutland, and I got on a daily call with the Engineering team to discuss what was on tap for the day. Over the course of about 30 minutes, it was revealed that we had Monday off. "Are you for real?" I asked. After the call I confirmed it was true, and for the remainder of the weekend I was wondering what I would do on my free day. When I saw that @JDurk had ridden Wharton, I decided that this is what my plan was going to be. Weather looked good, trails were good, I had a day off. Everything lined up perfectly.

Then we got back to New Jersey, and as happened about 25 times in the past year, when I get back home the weather goes to shit. So I scrapped the idea.

GettyImages-591910329-56f6b5243df78c78418c3124.jpg

I still woke up at 6:30, but instead of getting out of bed and getting ready to drive south, I laid in bed and read a bunch of chapters of the Bobiverse 2 book. At 7:30 I finally woke up, made us both some tea, oatmeal for breakfast, then cleaned up the kitchen of the dishes we had avoided for the past few days. I then sat down and edited the Pico Day 1 travel blog post from above, then published it. I also posted it here and on Facebook. I am going to see what source gets the most redirects. So far, Facebook is at 10, MTBNJ is at 7, and WordPress reader is at 5. This also ignores that there are currently 23 people that are subscribed via WordPress, plus whatever number of people have added the RSS feed to a different RSS aggregator, which is not something I think is easily done. I don't care that much to jump through hoops to make it happen.

As @slingblade_uhhuh mentioned, I was then off to get some Costco samples but first I had to stop at the hardware store for a light fixture for the basement. $2.49 later I was on my way, only to be reminded that at 10:00 am, they don't have samples out. This is the cruel reality of being early & efficient. I'll need to work on this when retirement comes. Timing is everything, they say. I guess maybe they're onto something. When I got home I wired it up, and now the dark corner of the dungeon has light again.

IMG_7279.jpg

Then I did more laundry and made lunch, which was salad.

I got on the bike then, in the basement, as the weather wasn't getting any better. Originally they said it was supposed to be almost 50 today and dry. At some point I looked outside in the afternoon and it was snowing again. I did 2 hours of moderate nothingness and started watching The Wire. I got 2 episodes in over 2 hours. My legs were kind of tired from the weekend, so just aimless spinning was all I had today. I probably would have taken today off but a) I am off work and b) I am going to Austin for 2 days this week which will tank those days.

thewire2main.jpg

This afternoon @jmanic mentioned that the image above was crapping it, this mainly because Google Photos is a rich load of dog shit as a free image hosting service. After 817 permutations to get this to work, I decided to go with Imgur, which seems to have no limit. To step back, you can link you Google Photos account to WordPress, which is super convenient. And since Google Photos is free and unlimited, this is a win-win, right?

Wrong. Every Google Photo you use on WordPress uploads it to the WP library also, and it goes against your storage limit. As of February 18th, I am almost at 10% used just on these few trips. So other than cover photo which will show on the main page, I will not be loading anything to the WP library. Imgur is free, and it works for now. So then I went back to fix the images in Pico Day 1, but only the ones that were broken. I downloaded Firefox to test a non-logged in user. More may break, probably will break. But I'm not made of free time here.

After this I did some bike work, this time D's cross bike which was mangled when her hanger broke. I disassembled that, cleaned up the BB area, then went and ordered her a new hanger. I just hope this RD is not destroyed, as it took a bit of a beating when the hanger broke. The cage is bent for sure, but I was able to reform it a little and I'm cautiously optimistic it will still work. Normally I would just buy her a new one but we are in DI2 land, so we are in a higher price range here.

s-l1600.jpg

Back to the blog next to fix Pico Day 2 pics, linking them all to Imgur this time because I don't want to have to deal with them breaking tomorrow and fixing them. I then edited the post and changed a bunch, and have not decided if I am going past or present tense, so I decided to use both. Screw it, you know?

D texted around 7:00 that she was done with the gym so I made a salad and some tea, then we ate dinner and watched White Dragon, which seems interesting after 1 episode. I stopped it after 1 episode because she needed to work and I wanted to read a bit to get my 10 pages of the Vietnam book in. This is a paper book, not the Kindle book I read when I woke up. I often have 2 different books going at once. Once I did that, I edited Pico 2 again then edited the parent Vermont/Pico page that ties them all together, not unlike the rug in The Big Lebowski.

Then I wrote this in 1 sitting without editing it so it will read fairly choppy. But it is pretty much 10:00 pm now so that is all I have left in me. So that, my friends, is how I spent my day off.

The End.

cow-jumps-over-the-moon_u-l-f5uanm0.jpg

JDurk

Bummer that you didn't make the drive south. I watched both series, and some will disagree, but my opinion, The Wire > The Sopranos. Have a friend that's former B'more Western District Po Po. I would call and ask questions after watching. Even took a few of us on a drive along through the 'hood.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
How do you pronounce Pico? I've been there several times back in my college days but always feel somewhat self conscious when I say that word. The I gets me, is it Pico, like the pie you eat or is it Pico, like you are peeking at something? And how did they even come up with that name?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
How do you pronounce Pico? I've been there several times back in my college days but always feel somewhat self conscious when I say that word. The I gets me, is it Pico, like the pie you eat or is it Pico, like you are peeking at something? And how did they even come up with that name?
I remember my parents arguing about it when I was like 6...I think the debate still goes on. My dad used to say Pike-co..so i guess I started calling it that.

Im glad i took my day off on Friday

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@JDurk - funny you should mention that. The reason I picked up The Wire was because someone on Facebook posted about re-watching (who got time for that shit?) The Wire versus The Sopranos. I decided to check out The Wire.

@pooriggy - according to WEQX/102.7 which gives the ski reports up there, it is pronounced PEEK-oh. As in Pico De Gallo. Pico means "peak" in Spanish. I don't know what the history of the name is, but I'd start there.

Day 2: A New Ski Hill
"Day 2 of our 3 day getaway, and we hit the slopes proper, spending almost 6 hours at Pico Mountain, then heading home for some good dinner at home."

52426191_10217631434233646_3698125961804382208_n.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@JDurk - funny you should mention that. The reason I picked up The Wire was because someone on Facebook posted about re-watching (who got time for that shit?) The Wire versus The Sopranos. I decided to check out The Wire.

@pooriggy - according to WEQX/102.7 which gives the ski reports up there, it is pronounced PEEK-oh. As in Pico De Gallo. Pico means "peak" in Spanish. I don't know what the history of the name is, but I'd start there.

Day 2: A New Ski Hill
"Day 2 of our 3 day getaway, and we hit the slopes proper, spending almost 6 hours at Pico Mountain, then heading home for some good dinner at home."

52426191_10217631434233646_3698125961804382208_n.jpg

think Tico or Rico (as in do re mi)...

which is funny that it means peak, when picometer, in measurement terms, is 1 billionth of a millimeter.....(i knew it was small, but looked up that nugget)
used for molecular-scale measurements.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
The reason I picked up The Wire was because someone on Facebook posted about re-watching (who got time for that shit?) The Wire versus The Sopranos. I decided to check out The Wire.
I'd say this is the one show that has been enthusiastically recommended to me, more than any other, in the last few years. Perhaps one of these days I'll make the time to start watching it.

thegock

I've heard similar things about The Wire, but I've never watched it. This is all I've got:

"The Wire" was in Entertainment Weekly's top three TV events of all time.

Spoiler alert and one of the top ten scenes from 65 episodes over five seasons:

Omar

"It's all in the game, doe?"

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A Bonus Non Trip to Austin

On Tuesday the governor or some public official looked at the weather report and as usual, went into a complete and total panic. So I rolled this into canceling my trip to TExas mostly because I thought it was a total waste of time. My boss suggested it actually, and after I talked to him I went about canceling the flight, the hotel, and the rental car. I admit that I briefly thought about flying there just to mountain bike for 2 days, but in reality there's too much going on at home to pull that kind of shit off. So I did the right thing and put some MBUs in the bank.

Wednesday rolled around and there was no snow at all, so of course every school in New Jersey was canceled. I met up with @MadisonDan in the morning for some coffee as he was sort of in the area. He gave me the GoPro stuff back as @seanrunnette and I want to maybe use it to put some content on the blog. I forgot to take a picture of Dan so I will do my best to Google an image. This will do.

KuoxQYbn_400x400.jpg

Admittedly, Dan was more groomed than his usual cross-lumberjack look but far be it from me to pass on a good Muppets reference. It was actually nice hanging out, if only for a little. He had to jet then I went to get Julia, fighting the snow, or rather, total lack of snow. I then posted the Pico Day 3 post and got on with the work day. All the kids were there, and I have to say that they were nice & quiet all day. I was able to get some work done and D was upstairs working on this thankless project she has been hammering on for quite a while now.

I also started backfilling my travel blog with some of the content from here. I am going to work backwards until I run out of steam, or I get through last year working in reverse. That means the Canada Xmas trip is up next. I'm basically taking the content that I put here and dropping it on the blog for the sake of future reference. I also went on a ride and watched Brexit, the one with Benedict Cumberbun or whatever exactly his name is.

I topped off the day writing up this review for the 5010, which is really big and finally complete. I even have an interview with Jay on there. I'll post that in the morning on Friday. In addition, I wrote my own bio for the MTBNJ blog, which you can find here. Nothing amazing but I needed something for the author link. Iggy also has one that we did together, which you can find here. If anyone wants to write for the blog in any respect, AT ALL WHATSOEVER, talk to me. Would love to have your content on there. Here's a picture of the Iggster looking a little vulnerable, or maybe hungover.

38902166_10216781601437065_3956133215734857728_n.jpg

Today I have no idea what I did, other than scurry in an effort to try to get things done. Due to the fact that there was almost no snow on the ground, there was a 2 hour delayed opening. I brought the kids to school since I know D is ultra busy. Then I went home, had 4 different calls, stuck a ride in there which was a really light hour while I watched 1 episode of The Wire, and before I knew it I was off to get the kids again at school. I honestly have no idea where my day went. Oh and I put the new hanger on D's bike and the DI2 still seems to be fine. I was a little worried but it seems ok. I just need to see if the cage is bent beyond repair.

I'm sitting in the Berkeley Athletic Club right now while Julia is at practice. I sit here and try to read and/or write with the 90 minutes she is in there. It gives me an isolated break to just check out from reality and do this. Of course, I brought my work computer too so I have already taken care of a few things. Work is kind of relentless at the moment. I am in high demand and it's only going to get worse, I think. Thankfully, I got verification that I am off the hook for the Vegas conference this year. Looks like we're not going to represent, which is great for me. I frankly don't want to go and it overlaps our kids weekend.

Tomorrow I may try to do a hard ride, or even a race. But I'm not entirely sure as we are pretty set on picking up the kids from school and heading to Shawnee to do some night skiing with @UtahJoe and the boy. Julia is going to a friend's then spending the evening with her mom. I'm pretty driven to ski as much as I (reasonably) can this year. I doubt the conditions will be amazing but it's a new hill and it's something more productive to do than going home and watching TV all night.

The coming weekend is pretty set, it looks like. Saturday the boys have basketball and Julia has play practice. She now has 2 parts as 1 of the kids has quit. Then we will trek to PA and hang out with my uncle and some relatives. They are having a small family get-together Saturday for dinner. Sunday D is supposed to ride but since this is New Jersey it's going to rain. Hey, you know what? Fuck this weather. Anyway, if it does rain I am going to send her to the gym and let the kids play with their electronics while I try to ride for ~3 hours for the long ride of the week.

Then we'll go see Black Panther at the MPAC, which we've all seen before but it's a good movie. Plus it's always cool to see a movie in the theater and it's an excuse to buy a mongo-sized box of M&Ms and wreck shop. We have 3 extra tickets, by the way.

I wonder how @Mitch has been.

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow, that's a lot of Iggy in that pic. My brother pointed a telephoto lense at me at 7am, before I put my make-up on.

What ever happened with your book? You worked so hard on that, it would be nice if you finished it and published it. Like blog's, I'm not sure who would read it but at least you would have personal satisfaction in having written and published something.

We had enough snow to xc ski Wednesday, did you ever buy xc skis? It is an easy way to enjoy snow locally and I find the cross over from cycling to be organic in feelz.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@pooriggy - I've left the book to sit for now. Both D and Julia want to read it. Full confession? I used character names I didn't really like with the assumption that I would rename them later. New names never came to me. I'll dive into it again. On XC skiing, it kind of fell by the wayside when I dove into the DH skiing. We may go this coming weekend. Read below.

Ok life is in overdrive right now so here goes, by day:

Friday - I picked up the boys from school, met up with D, and we went night skiing at Shawnee until 9:45 pm. We met @UtahJoe up there but he & Bob sort of did their own thing. I wrote up a travel blog post about it but I won't submit it until tomorrow morning.

kjz0l9n.jpg

Saturday - Morning was basketball & play practice, then we went to my uncle's in PA for a small family reunion. Well, there were 19 of us there. It was kinda cool to see a bunch of family I have not seen in a while.

53524148_10103784542593262_5500560857890816000_n.jpg

Sunday - Tired of the kid's nonsense, we made them work on their projects the first half of the day, then we took them to the MPAC to see Black Panther, which they were showing for free. We invited some friends of theirs along. We removed the electronics all day for everyone, and believe it or not nobody went insane. We're watching White Dragon tonight.

Monday - will just be some sort of normal work day but I'm going to have dinner & coffee with @seanrunnette and not record it. I think sometimes friends need to be friends without it being for the public record. I know people want us to podcast but I think that kind of thing needs to not be forced.

Tuesday - Just whatever work, but we are going to fire up the ST computers and make sure the software is updated. I just ran through my checklist of things and I think we are pretty set on everything. Just need to cross off a few things.

Wednesday - my parents are coming down and we're going to have dinner then go over to see Zac's first playoff game. They're playing a team they beat twice this year. Hopefully they go 3-for-3.

Thursday - my boss is flying to NJ in the morning, then we're driving down to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia for a demo. Then we'll grab some coffee and dinner then drive back here. He's staying the night at our house.

Friday - WFH with the boss here for half the day, then he'll fly home. That night we're collecting on a wedding present from the Kubicks who are taking us to dinner somewhere. Then we will come home and print up all the waivers for the ST race.

Saturday - if I have my way, we'll go to Belleayre and ski all day. There's no doubt about this, I'm all-in with the skiing right now. I'm also afraid that it's going to POOF, just disappear like that. One day it'll just be too warm, and the season will be over. Hopefully it'll then be ok to ride outside, unlike it is now.

Sunday - Short Track race #1. I will promote, and not race. After that we'll go up to Mohunk for an overnight stay, collecting on another wedding gift from Bill & his wife. I imagine we'll get up there around maybe 1-2 then spend most of the next 24 hours up there. We may be able to XC ski but we haven't ironed out our agenda just yet.

Monday - Wake up at Mohunk, enjoy the day off, and try not to think about work.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wake up at Mohunk, enjoy the day off, and try not to think about work.
Well, there is a lot of hiking trails at Mohonk if there is no snow to xc ski. They have a rental shop on the property that rents xc skis and snow shoes, I believe free to guests. There is also an ice skating rink. That hotel is spectacular in an amazing setting.
More Iggy.
20180121_110153.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Here is the link for xc ski trail conditions at the Mountain House, as well as rental info.
https://www.mohonk.com/recreation/winter-activities/

Also @jmanic has stayed at the hotel a lot and hiked the property. J, are crampons needed for icy trails there? I've never winter hiked it.
Ha. Literally just sent this text

4FD57E84-8FB8-48B7-8433-A70026B998DF.jpeg

But yeah, this time of year, it pays to bring the crampons.
It tends to get icy, and you definitely need them.

Top Bottom