James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
@jShort and @UtahJoe chasing fitness goals aren’t that different than what I am chasing, so I kinda get it. Also, I got up to 185 15 years ago and was like, this has to stop, but I know it is different then what Joe and Norm were looking at/deal with.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
for those who do not regularly ride in the cold or rain (like me - or really good weather) - yeah, it is a big deal to do it.
push down all the excuses, gear-up, and go. snotsicles, mud-stripes, raccoon face (or whatever it is when you take off the glasses)
all good. when i'm done, i've done it for me. and feel pretty good about it. i didn't do it for the 'look at me'

But it takes the one thing that nobody has enough of, and that is time. you can't catch-up or bank it.

mix the 'what am i doing for a workout today?' with 'how am i going to get everything in - kids,spouse,house,etc?' and even saving
30 minutes makes a difference.

The Kalmyk

And totally agree with @jShort... I mean great be outside, but this notion that it makes you tougher than someone on a trainer.. Lol.

Hey, if they think it makes them tougher then leave it at that. I see zero value in calling it out. And anyone who shits on @jShort @UtahJoe @The Asshole That Runs This Place for riding a trainer in winter should also look at the gains they have made. I'm not holding their wheel and I ride outside 3-4 times a week in all condition

There is no next action in this trivial debate. Both sides should just drop it.

As cliche as it may sound, our opinions make it hard to live the fact that, it's in our best interest to live and let live.

Edit: forgot @norm's is not here right now =)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
image.jpg

Easy picture to locate as the peak was around my wedding in 2003. Can definitely see it in my face.
Had to make sure my wife wanted me for my charm, rather than my ripped-ass body.

@MadisonDan i am just a tad short of 5’9”, 185 is definitely plumping.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
View attachment 86113
Easy picture to locate as the peak was around my wedding in 2003. Can definitely see it in my face.
Had to make sure my wife wanted me for my charm, rather than my ripped-ass body.

@MadisonDan i am just a tad short of 5’9”, 185 is definitely plumping.
You fat bastard :)....im the same height as you and my RACE weight is usually 180-185....But like @The Asshole That Runs This Place I spent most of my life WELL north of 200.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
im not one to dump on other peoples methods, but i personally ride outside in all conditions because to me its less miserable than being stationary on a trainer, inside. I hate the static aspect of it, id be loosing too much doing that to still be able to keep going for any worthwhile period of time. Yes i have a trainer, yes i have tried it with different distractions (no not zwift, that costs too much $$$, subscription smart trainer, pc dongles ect) and none of them made it any better, so i suit up and go outside, i am fortunate to have the option to ride during daylight hours on my lunch break, maybe if i didnt have the option i would feel differently? im not sure and dont have a way to test it right now. so if i ever give anyone a hard time for riding indoors, its only because i cant bring myself to do it, id rather be cold/wet ect than stationary (its also likely someone i know well enough who should immediately realize im just busting balls).

just thought id throw my .02 in the ring here, i dont believe i have said anything anti-zwift on here but i dont remember everything i say either. (maybe like @fidodie it was drunk me and i dont remember????)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh hey hi. I have intentionally not clicked into this thread since I posted on Saturday morning because I didn’t want it to ruin my weekend, even though @UtahJoe has been pestering me to look at it. Finally got around to it this afternoon. I guess evening in NJ.

@Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST - thanks!

I do also appreciate the support. Good stuff. A little anecdote…

We went to Arizona and rode South Mountain and it was amazing. The trails are not necessarily amazing but being here and riding bikes in short sleeves is. And the terrain is amazing. We hooked up with these 5 guys and rode with them for a while on Saturday and it got pretty gnarly in a few spots. One of the guys who was tall & thin (think Ross Anderson) was commenting on how well I was riding. I cleaned these 3 technical punch-ups and 1 guy admitted he has never cleaned it and the other guy said he was 50/50. Then we did the final climb to the halfway point which is to a helipad which Strava says is about a 400’ climb in about a mile with some technical spots. I started in the middle of the pack on this. I got to the top first. I was the only 1 of the 7 of us to clean the whole thing. When the thin guy got to the top he says, “Man, I need to move to New Jersey to train.”

To me this is part of the reason I do what I do. I still have the ability to ride a mountain bike because a lot of mountain biking is fitness. I want to try to keep that fitness. But I would tend to agree that we need to argue this point no more. Like Chief Joseph, I will fight no more forever. On that note, I have brought back The Garbage Heap. I don't think I need to explain that. Think of this thread as a loaded trebuchet. I may release the trigger and fling you to that thread if I feel like it. On a related note, I kind of want to build a squirrel trebuchet and put it in the backyard and fling squirrels into the junkyard behind the house.

When we started the ride I was like, “I keep feeling like we’re going to see someone we know.” Then the Trek Factory Team blew by and Nick Lando yells out, “Hi Norm!” I also later found out that Ilya rode South Mountain the same day. Kinda funny.

I have also decided that I'm going to pull my travel writing out of this blog and put it into an actual WordPress blog. This is not necessarily because of this stuff. But it did make me think about putting everything in here and I think I want to keep an actual external blog about my travels in 2019. I will link stuff here so if you are interested you can click it. But I think putting it all here is a bit non-permanent in a sense. But also I feel like this blog has an aim and a travel blog has an aim, and they are not the same. Some crossover, but not total. So I'll separate the 2.

That's probably all for today.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It surprises me that there would be debate of the benefits of something that helps you score 10hrs/week of saddle time in the recent conditions we’ve had.

The hate and genital waving (TM @clarkenstein ) does not.

For years we would go to Sedona for presidents week. I always used BIYF as prep for that, so when I got there I could ride as much as my wife (not legs) would allow. That and as a way to flaunt my superior masculinity.

Seeing the uptake of Zwift among friends and teammates, and the amount of saddle time they are all getting as a result, I’m a believer.

Whatever gets you to your goals yo.
Michael the Villian said something like that.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Curious what you thought of the 5010. That is quite a different bike than you scapel or whatever your Niner model is.

thegock

So, I get it, life gets in the way.

I took most of 8 years off when my son and daughter were young, I was CFO at work*, and was really out of shape when I got back to training in 1995. In 2005 when I finished 15 years of coaching soccer and turned down the opportunity to coach a friend’s U12 soccer team, I got back on the road bike for real at my brother’s suggestion and a few years later started on the trainer. There were weeks of 8-10 hours on the trainer, but I always rode outside and that is what I looked forward to: seeing the gang, competing, being among nature and the cars.

I also did a lot of outdoor training in the evening, in the basement, the gym and when out of town on clients located where I could throw a bike in the truck. This meant three nights a week in the cold and dark. It was so much better than the hotel gym. My workload compression is similar to @clarkenstein so it often meant a late night start.

Bottom line: if you train well and regularly, your race results are better at Battenkill, Hillier Than Thou, the Death Ride or H2H; just like in any other sport. I get that too.

I never really had the same feeling about riding indoors that I had for a good bike ride. More than the trainer, I liked running steps at the stadium or the RAC, the weight room, winter B ball v. the brothers in New Brunswick or Newark, or running on the beach or park, even when the weather was an STD.

Fast forward to five years ago, when I bought a Fatboy and realized that it was MORE FUN outside than a trainer inside. Hope eBay didn’t hit the Kurt Kinetic in the ass on the way to California. Fast forward to this year and I bought another Kurt Kinetic Road Machine on eBay. I haven’t put the pedals on the 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 that the KKRM will be permattached to, yet. That is partly due to pretty good weather so far this winter and a good work schedule, both of which may end soon enough.

I don’t hate @Norm nor do I think that anyone who is chiding him does either, but thicken up that skin, boyo. We luv r mayer.

• *This is “Just Don’t Bite It” work, I mean, in case you wanna measure. “You boys are disgusting…”
GANG SIGN IMG_20181214_130214-01.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom