James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

when I was on the sail boat trip around BVI we stopped at this area of a few rock islands called "the dogs"...I think they are called Islets...whatever...anyway.....that was like the most amazing fish tank experience for me...so cool.
AP1GczOjJcA4IpT7TqDFsodF7rVU-bxwc8CoV68ouxGEBqlHkX9zIBuIJyXLEglbweVb4h87UTSqSnasY3kRQmDUixNqWo6-ILa141WqxCUtH_hWeDqg23RUX0NAqbN1z6tjY3FFNMU45EVE2uemGnF3FgTW0gD82thJJND4SS2nIyz6u5tuNEfRQREc1cMNc4IdmcXUkFMnxl5kVSrh8N8WomizJobSYf4bsvteFrmCOmkDSU6oYdvqN_CZ2ZLeviu25wZU_KL16GvViGlBWa3e9_sk3P1Wb7Jvz8vzhdi4mLeoS9AXOy3UUyuYrcdiYkKPna2SD46Z1tW8k65eJGIzfr6NWeCD3HET9EtGXR9_5KKqnGT8G7Tta_ss9i2J13XyVCf-XDw3gL_QdnSHOX6dUhExgr2xyc9J8DMwbkxqSpsVfOJdS6JmQImJKWgRNliGHUNHVy3dDSpy_0CROqOynaAuSylXYMFL5U0lrwFVdlZO-9PWcDPVLwXsxsZEg59KAKKRI-3uORuBCLCQ9GqEHPbcyA0yPQuo234cjR0dtNrX7vr0L7duFnQ5v0AlUQ8yDo4t64wvwzbNVbcZx0lEga6C5o12nKpcLi6d-8L4bRXIuKfh4EI6IhG5u8g1ySUBb8Mq6Sgpz9YkScpyDZ5Uqog9Bs3LqeQXZrKOShtAt7UsI0b-yRp0Avj3e-kkPuQ6Bgpouv6IuUCDUS-0drXUIlqYZWYuyRBFA7JFwbq0AI9hmYWb1hQgCbXJ29ewjCPJPVnDofGo6Ba-DazNLSuAe_adoHfSY0kM227l7TfQTQMGtyWoXVrG-Ho3OsKEQvU50u1MsUPnpUOfyjzeG6p5HU67caIx5gEq0jc8B6V4YDDptYTprAYTFDfr-CeKHtgfVV74dAy8pMH0bKaMvi7qS6E=w1920-h484-s-no-gm

shitty 2013 camera.
View attachment 234071

Snorkeling structure is even better than the sandy bottom experience. Although a bit more work. There are hybrid (tethered) solutions so you can stay at 12' or so for 20 minutes. Just deep enough for the sharks to get a good.look at ya!

Rutgers Basketball

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I was a pretty big Rutgers fan. I had season tickets in college, then season tickets after college. Once children came along, I had to choose 1 hobby, which was biking. And thus, the countless hours & dollars spent on Rutgers sports came to an end. Yesterday, D and I took Julia to an RU/OSU basketball game. It was the regular season finale, and I was able to squeeze that into our ever-chaotic schedule. Of course, I'm an RU grad. Julia, as those of you following along at home know, has been accepted to OSU and is currently a heavy lean on going there.

If one believes in omens, yesterday was an indication that she should go ahead and accept that offer from OSU. I mean, if you're into signs from the universe and omens, and shit like that.

I really enjoyed being back in the RAC. And for 25 minutes, this was a good game. But it was a good game because RU clawed their way into it being such. They are not, were not, a good team. At least they weren't yesterday. It felt a lot like the old days when I used to go. Good enough to make you hopeful, but not really that good. I do love the atmosphere of the building and when the place is loud, there are few places as awesome to watch your team play. Yesterday this was not the case; not even a little bit.

I suspect this will not be the last OSU game I go to. But in the future, I suppose I'll be an OSU dad as well as an RU grad. D says when RU plays OSU in the future, I won't be able to root for OSU, and she's probably right. It's just another in the long line of things that will be part of the interesting near-term future awaiting us.

IMG_8960.jpeg

Also a fellow RU grad and since you're not following as you once did, if there is ever going to be a yr its next yr. Top 5 recruiting class with both the #2 and #3 ranked seniors coming.

Also a fellow RU grad and since you're not following as you once did, if there is ever going to be a yr its next yr. Top 5 recruiting class with both the #2 and #3 ranked seniors coming.

My daughter pointed that out to me. Very strange, and it looks like RU has 4 recruits coming in next year that have made the ESPN top 200 high school senior list. I eagerly await this, though I'm still mentally scarred from The Dahntay Jones years in this regard.

I did briefly think, "I wonder what it would cost for season tickets?" Then I came to my senses. I'm sure it's overly expensive in this day & age.

My daughter pointed that out to me. Very strange, and it looks like RU has 4 recruits coming in next year that have made the ESPN top 200 high school senior list. I eagerly await this, though I'm still mentally scarred from The Dahntay Jones years in this regard.

I did briefly think, "I wonder what it would cost for season tickets?" Then I came to my senses. I'm sure it's overly expensive in this day & age.
Dahntay dropped 60 on my AAU team but Dylan Harper and Ace Bailey are on another level in my opinion. Time will tell and it is Rutgers after all

The Simple Things

Sometimes it’s the simple things, like chocolate pudding or flowers on the kitchen table, or some combination of the 2. Last fall was really light at work which allowed me to give back a lot to the trails. So far this year has been a little bonkers. Trying to make sure I take some time to smell the roses. Or eat the pudding.

IMG_8961.jpeg

OSU Preview?

I put it with a question mark, because now she's 50/50 OSU versus SD State. Where did SD State come from? Not sure, call it left field. Just this week she decided that they're about even in the race, with no real reason why. She cites the cold weather as a factor, which is hard to argue. She also had a good answer to her mother's question of what's a down side of OSU. "It's in Ohio," she replied. Again, hard to argue. I think the concept of California is more interesting than Ohio. That said, I think I would prefer OSU over SDST but as I made it clear to her, I want her to go where she wants to go. It's her choice, not mine.

Tonight was a Northern NJ event for the prospective '24-25 OSU freshman class. I think it was really good, better than any of the college tours we did. We'll be going out to Columbus in April for a few days to do a campus event, then spend a day in the are to see how we like it. I think it's important to see this if she's going to spend the next 4 years there. I can't give her the same preview of SDST. There isn't a NNJ event, and I can't justify the flight out to SD for a single Saturday event. As much as I'd like her to see the campus, it'll have to be a bit of a blind decision.

Of course, none of this happened when we were kids. The first time I saw the RU campus was the day I moved in. And of course, there was no Internet. So I couldn't even see what it looked liked. So when I took the horse & buggy to RU that first day, it was all a new surprise. Things are a little different now.

IMG_8962.jpeg

It's pretty hard to take Ohio seriously after hearing an entire stadium chant "fuck ohio," but it's actually really nice out there. That said, fuck ohio; Southern California all the way. You don't need to see it to know it's incredible out there.

6 weeks late in internet time, but on the snorkel/scuba talk-
I was telling Norm years ago in St croix I was able to get a “resort certification” for scuba.
This meant we could dive with the folks that pool trained us (lol) during our stay, and we might not die.
I mean we might, but we also might not.

There were depth restrictions, but it was a cool way to explore the terrifying feeling of breathing underwater.

I’m sure lawsuits have put an end to this.
The snorkeling was great too though, with much less hassle and death probability, as noted.

I haven’t really been keeping up. Sorry if you discussed this already. But thoughts on this? Excited? Scared it’ll be butchered? Indifferent?

I haven’t really been keeping up. Sorry if you discussed this already. But thoughts on this? Excited? Scared it’ll be butchered? Indifferent?

Short answer: it's been on my calendar for like 2 months.

Definitely excited to see where it goes. But I can't imagine they'll wrap the whole 3 books into this. I just hope they make it reasonably interesting and not turn it into another space soap opera.

Back
Top Bottom