Ivy, the poison kind

I've got a few spots on my ankles from trail maintenance. I knew I was going to get it but...Geez does this stuff suck! Absolutely NOTHING helps stop the itch (especially 95 degree weather!)
Still considering killing it with fire! :D

I've been there unfortunately. My eyes were almost completely swollen shut, and lets not get into how irritating it was to be scratching your balls all night, or between your fingers. What really eased the suffering though (besides copious amounts of alcohol and immuno suppressing drugs, not the best combination for your liver btw), was going to the shore and sitting in the ocean. The salt water really eased the itching.
$hit, I guess I'm getting in the pool when I get home!

I've got a few spots on my ankles from trail maintenance. I knew I was going to get it but...Geez does this stuff suck! Absolutely NOTHING helps stop the itch (especially 95 degree weather!)
Still considering killing it with fire! :D
Next time you know you have it it, find some clay type soil (at least with the most clay you can find), get it wet and muddy and rub it in the area of concern. This will remove a lot of the oils and has worked for me for years.

If it is post ride and within an hour of exposure, lightly wet shampoo and rub the area Of concern, this too will remove a lot of the surface oil.

I am not aware of ever getting a rash or other reaction from poison ivy. I don't know what the plant looks like.

also try keeping witch hazel in your car, and cleaning the area with that at the end of the ride.
If you know you are going to an area loaded with PI, put on one of those ivy block lotions, or smear olive oil or jojoba oil all over your exposed areas (leave it on thick, not rub it in).
If you mix some tea tree oil in the oil first, it will help keep bugs off ya too. Be warned, you will be covered in dirt by the end of your ride, but all that helps protect from ivy and bug bites too.

Made it 1.5 years without a reaction. Well doing TM for mooch madness bought on 5 small outbreaks so now everyone should enter the race to make me feel better ?

Made it 1.5 years without a reaction. Well doing TM for mooch madness bought on 5 small outbreaks so now everyone should enter the race to make me feel better ?
Wow, pi this early??? and we haven't even gone to Stewart the PI capital.

How allergic are you that I survived in shorts? Also, was Stewart 1.5 years ago?

I've noticed a few itchy spots on my leg, but nothing so far, and I had shorts on. I never really left the trail though....

As a kid I never got it, plenty of time spent running around in the woods too. Never payed attention to what to look for or even what the dam plant looked like. Fast forward 40 some odd years and I seem to get it every year now after a ride at Six Mile. I have gone to wearing long sleeves now. Lesson is if your not getting it now, you’re not Scott free in the future.

As a kid I never got it, plenty of time spent running around in the woods too. Never payed attention to what to look for or even what the dam plant looked like. Fast forward 40 some odd years and I seem to get it every year now after a ride at Six Mile. I have gone to wearing long sleeves now. Lesson is if your not getting it now, you’re not Scott free in the future.

Or the opposite - I got PI all the time as a kid, gradually got less severe, now I'm pretty much immune.

How allergic are you that I survived in shorts? Also, was Stewart 1.5 years ago?
I will never weed wack at Stewart ever again lesson learned . Probably the tree I had to cut out on the last descent back to short track , or my folding saw is contaminated . Also getting attacked by gnats the whole time didn't help

Back
Top Bottom