Ivy, the poison kind

RobW

A few weeks back I decided to take advantage of my day off and ride some six mile without the weekend warriors. During my ride, I felt the usual arm branch slap or rub up on some leaves... Well one in particular stood out to me after it unleashed its powers of all evil onto me. At the time I thought, great... That's probably poison ivy.

Fast forward 36 hours....
image.jpeg

I'm a slave to the PI.
As a kid I got into PI all the time. One time really stands out to me... my sister picked it directly from the plant and rubbed it on her arm in front of me my cousins us saying this- " I don't know what's wrong with you boys, I don't get poison ivy"
I laughed but she then directly rubbed those two fingers across this same arm- next morning I had two bright red and itchy stripes on my forearm. Thanks b*tch
Another time I had it all in and around my eyes- not fun

I figured this was a good subject here. So, Post up your war stories with This magically resistible plant.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Ivy/oak/sumac make me want to cut my skin off. Can we ignore threads? This one's gonna be like looking into the sun....or at disfigured feet

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Damn son! You should ride with that poison ivy topical milky stuff. That looks bad.

w_b

Let's just leave it at "when you are makin like a bear, you best know what you are wipin with." Those oak- lookin leaves may not be oak... No need to ask how I know this...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Still not sensitive to it - i'd like to keep it that way.
will wear my hazmat suit - (ok, tyvek, but it looks very walter white) and clean up that bush at SMP.

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
A few weeks back I decided to take advantage of my day off and ride some six mile without the weekend warriors. During my ride, I felt the usual arm branch slap or rub up on some leaves... Well one in particular stood out to me after it unleashed its powers of all evil onto me. At the time I thought, great... That's probably poison ivy.

Fast forward 36 hours....
View attachment 36530
I'm a slave to the PI.
As a kid I got into PI all the time. One time really stands out to me... my sister picked it directly from the plant and rubbed it on her arm in front of me my cousins us saying this- " I don't know what's wrong with you boys, I don't get poison ivy"
I laughed but she then directly rubbed those two fingers across this same arm- next morning I had two bright red and itchy stripes on my forearm. Thanks b*tch
Another time I had it all in and around my eyes- not fun

I figured this was a good subject here. So, Post up your war stories with This magically resistible plant.
thats impressive man. I may have one to match today. That shiz is everywhere at 6MR

Last edited:

moose35

If you ever think you've been exposed to poison ivy, just wash yourself with Joy dishwashing soap. it gets tho poison ivy oils off of you skin before your body reacts to them.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Damn son! +1 on the dish soap. But, you have to do it as soon as possible and scrub the area to get the oils off. Since you're skin is clearly reactive to it you may need an Rx to give your skin some relief.

rick81721

Lothar
Wow that is a really severe reaction. I've basically become desensitized to it over the years. I'd get a reaction if I grabbed leaves and crushed them but just brushing against them no problem

RobW

Thats impressive Rob....I get it like that often, always a fun time
the only fun part about this was making up the story of how I fought a tiger.

Damn son! +1 on the dish soap. But, you have to do it as soon as possible and scrub the area to get the oils off. Since you're skin is clearly reactive to it you may need an Rx to give your skin some relief.

it will be 3 weeks on Friday, its pretty much gone except for the slight pink discoloration

Last edited:

JDurk

I've been practicing this method since I saw the video. Haven't had a problem since. In addition, being aware of it has helped too, though sometimes may be difficult since I'm red/green color blind.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used to get poison ivy a lot as a kid. I now spend most of my free time in the woods, and rarely get it. I think it's just because I'm more careful/aware of it. I'll be riding through fields of poison ivy up at Stewart and see it brushing against me and not get it. After a ride, I immediately go home and shower. I just use regular soap and don't seem to have a problem. That said, I do have a little bit on an arm and leg right now, but it's just a few dots here and there. That's probably just because I was exposed to it early Saturday morning but didn't get around to showering until late in the afternoon. Knowing that was going to be the case, I should have put some ivy block on my arms and legs, but I totally forgot. I don't know if ivy block works, but I've never gotten poison ivy when using it. But since I rarely get it anyway, that proves nothing.

Blair

I've been practicing this method since I saw the video. Haven't had a problem since. In addition, being aware of it has helped too, though sometimes may be difficult since I'm red/green color blind.

thats a good video, but what do you do with the washcloth afterward?

RobW

I used to get poison ivy a lot as a kid. I now spend most of my free time in the woods, and rarely get it. I think it's just because I'm more careful/aware of it. I'll be riding through fields of poison ivy up at Stewart and see it brushing against me and not get it. After a ride, I immediately go home and shower. I just use regular soap and don't seem to have a problem. That said, I do have a little bit on an arm and leg right now, but it's just a few dots here and there. That's probably just because I was exposed to it early Saturday morning but didn't get around to showering until late in the afternoon. Knowing that was going to be the case, I should have put some ivy block on my arms and legs, but I totally forgot. I don't know if ivy block works, but I've never gotten poison ivy when using it. But since I rarely get it anyway, that proves nothing.
im usually very aware, but at six mile I get into this trance and don't see anything but trail. It was probably just a low hanging branch, and slashed me.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
im usually very aware, but at six mile I get into this trance and don't see anything but trail. It was probably just a low hanging branch, and slashed me.

When I say more aware, I just mean more aware that I need to shower thoroughly and immediately. I'm also careful not to rub or scratch anything when I'm out on the trail, as that seems to cause the reaction to happen quicker. I brush up against it on the trail and seem to be ok as long as I just go right home after and shower. But on longer rides, sometimes I don't get home and shower quick enough I guess.

Top Bottom