It's called Candyass because...

CABuilder

It's been 15 years now, how is this holding up?

Attachments

• CA log ride Allamuchy NJ 2013.jpg
    CA log ride Allamuchy NJ 2013.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 511

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We rode this on the Saturday of the Cranks weekend.

The trail is dead. Might as well block up the entrance, because there is so much deadfall on it that it's obvious nobody is maintaining it. Between that & the overgrowth, the trail is useless right now. It would need a lot of work to make remotely enjoyable again.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I want to send a big THANK YOU to @Fat Trout for busting his a$$ today on Candy Ass. It looks as if he single handily resurrected one of Allamuchy's best trails before it was too late.

"I hiked Candy Ass today top to bottom with a rake, clippers and hand saws. I put about 5 hours into it. I didn't really mean to be out there that long but that's what it took me to get to the bottom. Its rideable now, it really wasn't rideable in the condition it was in. I cleared a ton of debris, raked a number of areas & clipped back a lot of stuff. It was hard to follow in some areas so I raked the leaves where I could. It could really use a string trimmer in some areas and to rake off more of the leaves. They are really thick. There was still one tree down 3/4 of the way through to the end but I didn't have the energy left to clear that. The last 200 ft before it hits purple is a mess with 2 trees down. Just needs a re-route to be raked out and some small saplings clipped. On the way up to the start I couldn't find where it came out. Now I know why."

My goal is to get out there and do my best to help finish what he started. Please get out and enjoy this gem. Riding it helps keep it alive.

Thank you again Sir!!!!

Fat Trout

Still needs more work but mostly to clean up the line and make it easier to follow (areas of thick leaves). All of the main features are rideable and raked off so you have a chance at reading the line in and out. All of the face slappers and pricker piles are cut back at least as a start. Im gonna keep at it. Riding it is a helpful TM activity to wear it in so please get out there!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Still needs more work but mostly to clean up the line and make it easier to follow (areas of thick leaves). All of the main features are rideable and raked off so you have a chance at reading the line in and out. All of the face slappers and pricker piles are cut back at least as a start. Im gonna keep at it. Riding it is a helpful TM activity to wear it in so please get out there!

Thanks for the work!

We rode it last year and the entrance was hard to see. Has that been cleared up?

Fat Trout

Thanks for the work!

We rode it last year and the entrance was hard to see. Has that been cleared up?
No but i plan to fix that. I started raking just after that first log that is perpendicular to the trail like 50 ft in. Not knowing what i would find i was concerned about making it look too inviting and drawing people in to a mess. The entrance is right by a double purple trail blaze (turn marker) There is a dark almost black looking old log across the trail and visible from purple.

Last edited:

Fat Trout

Took another pass through after work for a few hours. Raked the entrance, raked the exit. Raked randomly through and cleared the remaining tree. Made it out in time to get ice cream at the new tranquility farms store just down the road.

Still could use plenty of raking and weed trimming especially in the lower half.

Aside from raking I also marked the log at the entrance for @Norm to address his earlier concern. Its code but I think he'll understand ;).

IMG_20180619_173548.jpg

phillychris498

How's that log skinny towards the end of the trail holding up? I remember that log being somewhat rotted the last time I rode that trail, which was sometime in 2016...

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions