It's called Candyass because...

goldsbar

Hmm, I see this trail on the map and have been in that area many a time but don't recall anything near the lumpy bumpy level. Plenty of technical stuff but more along the fun side of technical. What am I missing? This looks like it's the standard 517-orange-purple reroute switchbacks. Looks like there's something else I've been missing for years.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hmm, I see this trail on the map and have been in that area many a time but don't recall anything near the lumpy bumpy level. Plenty of technical stuff but more along the fun side of technical. What am I missing? This looks like it's the standard 517-orange-purple reroute switchbacks. Looks like there's something else I've been missing for years.

Ha yeah you've been missing it. It empty's down on purple where crossover to white is (watercxing). To enter it's to the right after the 2 log overs and where purple goes left for the last leg of cardiac.

This trail was originally a moto trials course if that gives any indication of difficulty. Additions of ST and sure ups for the human powered helped make it what it is today. It doesn't get a lot of TM love so can be difficult to follow. if you ever look at the gps route closely it continues to snake closely together itself. It will gas you more then the cardiac climb itself.

Heard there was some malicious trail damage on CandyAss. WTF!! Someone was nice enough to go in and clean it top to bottom including removing downed trees and refreshing the skinny with a chainsaw and now this. Some people are just messed up.

Chris26er

Team MTBNJ.com-Halter's
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We were on it today around 1 and it was fine, the only damage was the longest tire change in the history of cycling

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
We lost 2 hrs today. 1 for daylight saving and 1 for my flat tire debacle.

candy ass is good but rogue is more my speed.

What's/where's "rogue?" Saw it mentioned in Matt's TDF thread but he called it "rouge" so I thought it might be red. PM me description if it's "fight club."
Thanks. Glad to hear CandyAss was all good. Heard a story that someone set a wheel-trap on the backside of a log rollover...

crash

I was on the red trail (connecting on unmarked trails from the White Waterloo to 517 trail, south of the Ice Cream trail sign) the other day; following the Allamuchy North map you produced last fall. Near the section called "NJ Slick Rock", It didn't seem to Rogue'ish compared to the other sections. I may go take a look at CandyAss for myself this afternoon. It has been awhile since I have been up there, just to make sure that it has not been totally sanitized.

root

Did notice CA seemed quite ridden, and heard people are making it more "rideable" for the masses...while I agree that doing so on most trails is a good idea, for Candy it isn't...let it be!

Also trying to figure out why there is a little side trail on the purple now, I think some people call it Cardiac, I hope they aren't looking at re-routing that like they tragically did lower on the purple trail (I think people may call that Ditch), which by the way the original trail is still very much rideable the entire way, it is one of the best climbs in the park and I hope they don't make the same mistake twice. The steep and difficult climbs are what makes Allamuchy, no need to get rid of them cause some can't make it (and it is not an erosion issue cause as stated, the original purple is still 100% rideable without issue). Might as well rant if others are :)

Fugawe...I gotta check that out.

You doing Candyass on a rigid singlespeed without a dab...props!

ryderX

I recently rode candyass in reverse. It's a whole new animal when you start from the bottom.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I recently rode candyass in reverse. It's a whole new animal when you start from the bottom.

I've always wanted the do this. Now that I know it's doable I'll give it a go next time I'm there.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Twice in two weeks, but never Lumpy Bumpy, which is annoying 'cause the 10-year-old I ride with has!
k.

Very nice!!!

I've thought about this route many times....impressive.

Although I am one to walk some of the more technical stuff here, this is still one of my favorites. Point being, even average riders can enjoy the good stuff.

Also trying to figure out why there is a little side trail on the purple now, I think some people call it Cardiac, I hope they aren't looking at re-routing that like they tragically did lower on the purple trail (I think people may call that Ditch), which by the way the original trail is still very much rideable the entire way, it is one of the best climbs in the park and I hope they don't make the same mistake twice. The steep and difficult climbs are what makes Allamuchy, no need to get rid of them cause some can't make it (and it is not an erosion issue cause as stated, the original purple is still 100% rideable without issue).

Sustainability was one of the many problems with that trail.... a poster child for trail problems. http://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building/10-most-common-trailbuilding-mistakes

Sometimes fun when the weather cooperated, a little boring. The new config is a way more challenging dh at speed. And yes, you can still ride in the gully that used to be level trail. So how's your hardtale?;)

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Sustainability was one of the many problems with that trail.... a poster child for trail problems. http://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building/10-most-common-trailbuilding-mistakes

Sometimes fun when the weather cooperated, a little boring. The new config is a way more challenging dh at speed. And yes, you can still ride in the gully that used to be level trail. So how's your hardtale?;)

I don't even know this guy...keep my name outta yo mouth punk:getsome:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You put it out there Strat, so don't play the "here we go" game.

Edit: I saw the reply before you put the friendly addition in....

Last edited:
Jake... Fixed.... thanks for your moderator wisdom and insight. So I guess it's OK to throw out plenty of hostility.... punk :getsome:

Excuse me for trying to be friendly.... So keep my name out or yer punk mouth..:getsome:

Bottom line here is that it's not ok for these guys to build rogue trails or open up old rerouted trails in Allamuchy state parks without consent of the land manager. "Sustainability" is obviously overlooked here, as well as nastiness and ill manners. But my comments.... well that's a different story.

I try to throw in some insight and reason and get greeted with you and Bret.. who hasn't said much of a peep here quite some time. It's predictable who the four people are who instantly respond every time I post.

See you all at the next trail maintenance. Enjoy the Allamuchy trail system... we don't do it for you.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I am done. You people act like children. There is no evidence that Root is a sock puppet.

Steve, you were warned - Banned.

Brett - 2 weeks in the box.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions