Itchy

onetracker

Rode Allaire last week. Came home with ~35 bites (red bumps) on my ankles, shins and calfs. Crazy itchy. Chiggers? How do I avoid this torture in the future?

Johnny Utah

Rode Allaire last week. Came home with ~35 bites (red bumps) on my ankles, shins and calfs. Crazy itchy. Chiggers? How do I avoid this torture in the future?
Don’t stop in the sand/grass.

When I go solo for a few hours and keep moving I don’t get them. If I stop and chat on the trail I get bit.

Tall socks can help.

onetracker

Hmm. I really did not stop except when I went past the model airplane field; I watched the planes for a short while. I guess that is when I was attacked by these buggers. Never happened in all the years I went down to allaire. Thanks.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
They were out in force this year my wife had "the mother of all creams" as an anti-itch cream that helped a lot be prepared for a rough 2 weeks at least..
Mostly John is right keep moving don't stop in the tall stuff there are a few trails that we just can't keep up with the trimming this time of year those will be bad whether you stop or not.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve used wet wipes on my legs after each ride. Since doing this, I haven’t had an issue.

onetracker

I have been using Witch Hazel daily which should also keep the bites from becoming infected which seems to help alot but it is really annoying. Thanks for the comments.

MikeyBikey2000

I think socks actually help those MFR's cling on, they clearly get through the fibers, even socks soaked with Deep Woods Off. I hate the winter but here's to the first frost.

alex_k

I think socks actually help those MFR's cling on, they clearly get through the fibers, even socks soaked with Deep Woods Off. I hate the winter but here's to the first frost.
I spay repellent directly on my skin and have no issues with chiggers

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Aaaaah. I get it now. The 50 little itchy bumps on my legs from riding Six Mile a week ago are starting to make sense....Chiggers. Little effing bastards.

Do I need to do anything at this point to get rid of them or just cortisone and wait?

RobW

Aaaaah. I get it now. The 50 little itchy bumps on my legs from riding Six Mile a week ago are starting to make sense....Chiggers. Little effing bastards.

Do I need to do anything at this point to get rid of them or just cortisone and wait?
I used ice then cortisone... but you got them from six mile?? Wtf!!

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I used ice then cortisone... but you got them from six mile?? Wtf!!

I wasn’t anywhere else so I have to assume it was 6 mi. I was with the little people so I stopped a lot especially in grassy areas like the twisties in the field on white. Luckily they were unscathed. I, on the other hand, am fully scathed.

What’s the half life of these little hell creatures? Like, they still burrowing in my skin eating me from this inside? Do I need fire?

RobW

I wasn’t anywhere else so I have to assume it was 6 mi. I was with the little people so I stopped a lot especially in grassy areas like the twisties in the field on white. Luckily they were unscathed. I, on the other hand, am fully scathed.

What’s the half life of these little hell creatures? Like, they still burrowing in my skin eating me from this inside? Do I need fire?
Fire always sounds appealing, especially Because torching your leg doesn’t seem like a bad idea when you are itching these bites. Typically two weeks of itching, after week one it starts to taper off.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions