Is Wiggo the Latest or Isn't He

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Unless you live under a non-cycling rock, you have no doubt heard of Bradley Wiggins' latest mess with the Fancy Bear TUE leaks. Wiggo was on BBC in an effort to clear his name and after watching the twitter banter in response, I am not sure where anything lies (pun intended). So this is a new one, well maybe not, but a documented Therapeutic Use Exemption(TUE), signed off by WADA and whoever else to allow Wiggo to take a banned substance during the racing season. The timing of the substances were right before 3 grand tours, of which the 2012 TDF he won.

So this goes deep and points to corruption within the UCI and WADA (not sure which would be worse, probably WADA) but what is interesting is SKY submitted and had these approved in a completely legal way and they were approved in a legal way. So what happens here? Whats the ends game?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I think the majority of the controversy here has to do with the fact that Wiggins stated in his autobiography that he had never used any needles and stated that he thinks no cyclist should ever need to use needles, and this proves he's done exactly that. The legality of what he did isn't the issue as much as his doing what so many have done before him - saying one thing while doing another, right?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think the majority of the controversy here has to do with the fact that Wiggins stated in his autobiography that he had never used any needles and stated that he thinks no cyclist should ever need to use needles, and this proves he's done exactly that. The legality of what he did isn't the issue as much as his doing what so many have done before him - saying one thing while doing another, right?
It is amd I have heard that argument by quite a few and I am not sure it adds up to much more than more speculation that more is happen than what is known.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless you live under a non-cycling rock, you have no doubt heard of Bradley Wiggins' latest mess with the Fancy Bear TUE leaks. Wiggo was on BBC in an effort to clear his name and after watching the twitter banter in response, I am not sure where anything lies (pun intended). So this is a new one, well maybe not, but a documented Therapeutic Use Exemption(TUE), signed off by WADA and whoever else to allow Wiggo to take a banned substance during the racing season. The timing of the substances were right before 3 grand tours, of which the 2012 TDF he won.

So this goes deep and points to corruption within the UCI and WADA (not sure which would be worse, probably WADA) but what is interesting is SKY submitted and had these approved in a completely legal way and they were approved in a legal way. So what happens here? Whats the ends game?

Tom Dumoulin sure thinks Wiggins is full of shit. He may be a bit biased, but he asked a lot of good questions like why the day before the tour? Why an injection?

I'm not even sure what kind of benefits this treatment would give though. How much of a benefit is it really?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm not even sure what kind of benefits this treatment would give though. How much of a benefit is it really?
Some people are saying no benefit and some x-dopers like David Millar are saying it is a super drugs quoting faster recovery, less inflammation, etc.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

I've been wondering when we'd get around to this one.

It was the key topic on several cycling related podcasts that I religiously follow. Most recently it was covered by "The Spokesmen Cycling Roundtable Podcast". The TUE's themselves are "explainable" if you look at them in a vacuum. The pattern, timing, duration (12 months TUE for seasonal issues? Really?) and resulting performances are, to me, incontrovertible; and of course, there's Leinders.

Several weeks ago on another podcast Floyd and Zabriskie all but outed the IOC/UCI and WADA/USADA. Personally, I don't very much like Landis; but like Canseco, he knows dopeing when he sees it.

I can't come up with the right combination of words to let "The Google" jog my memory... But wasn't Wiggins whole team suspended for dopeing some time before 2008? Maybe I'm just having another "senior moment".

Edit: Ha! It was 2007 and the team was Cofidis.

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I've been wondering when we'd get around to this one.

It was the key topic on several cycling related podcasts that I religiously follow. Most recently it was covered by "The Spokesmen Cycling Roundtable Podcast". The TUE's themselves are "explainable" if you look at them in a vacuum. The pattern, timing, duration (12 months TUE for seasonal issues? Really?) and resulting performances are, to me, incontrovertible; and of course, there's Leinders.

Several weeks ago on another podcast Floyd and Zabriskie all but outed the IOC/UCI and WADA/USADA. Personally, I don't very much like Landis; but like Canseco, he knows dopeing when he sees it.

I can't come up with the right combination of words to let "The Google" jog my memory... But wasn't Wiggins whole team suspended for dopeing some time before 2008? Maybe I'm just having another "senior moment".

Edit: Ha! It was 2007 and the team was Cofidis.
Yeah, digger forum has been on sky like white on rice. But what happens in this case if it was approved?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Yeah, digger forum has been on sky like white on rice. But what happens in this case if it was approved?

That's exactly it. It's institutional! I have no doubt that Sky is operating to the letter of the law while they (and a crap-ton of others) piss all over the spirit of the law. Hard to call out a cheat when the house is crooked.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
That's exactly it. It's institutional! I have no doubt that Sky is operating to the letter of the law while they (and a crap-ton of others) piss all over the spirit of the law. Hard to call out a cheat when the house is crooked.
Curious to see the outcome. The court of public opinion has its weight but if nothing is stripped, in a few years everyone forgets and he lives on as a legend. I'll admit I am a wiggo fan but again, not sure where I lie on this.

Top Bottom