Is this a bad sign for cycling?

walter

Fourth Party
I was gonna post this yesterday but got sidetracked. After 37 years, a different location and declining crowds, I guess it just became too expensive and too much of a hassle to put together.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Social media makes Interbike irrelevant. Anything which needs actual “hand on” to appreciate has already been shown at Eurobike. Still have Sea Otter and OuterBike for us here in the US.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
This is really based on the moves of three brands. Specialized, Trek and Giant. All three are hosting their own shows and also encouraging an agenda whereas a shop would concentrate on their brand or better yet (for them) exclusively sell their brand.

As a side we’ve also seen moves by these same three to take over underperforming brand exclusive stores.

These three brands account for about half of the shops in the country at this point. 2000 +\_ of the remaining 4000ish shops in the US market (down from over 6000 a dozen or so years ago. With only 2000 or so ships to cater to,the draw is super low. Many east coast dealers (like me) haven’t gone in years. I personally despised Vegas and the idea of Reno wasn’t much better.

-this begs the question: Do you feel enticed to shop at an exclusive, single brand bike shop??

Locally, this concept hasn’t done all that well, but in a large potion of the country this has become the only game in town.

In that last few years the smaller brands who cater to the independent shops (like mine) have begun to cater to their dealers as well at more appealing locales. Often with airfare, lodging and meals all free. (This May in fact be the biggest perk of being a bike dealer today). This for me had made IB even less appealing.

The biggest draw at IB has all but been killed by the internet. New technologies are shown daily online and little suspense is left for the once mighty trade show. :(:(:(:(:(:confused::(

Mtbdog

Brand exclusive shopping is like shopping for cars,no? Is that what they're trying?

Ian F

Some of the comments I read said the big issue was the vendor cost as well. I don't think the aftermarket is what it used to be either. New bikes are often so well spec'd these days one often doesn't need to upgrade.

@Mtbdog - yes. That seems to be the idea, although it seems mostly Trek and Specialized. It was rumored Giant would go that way as well, but both Giant dealers I know of sell other smaller brands as well.

I visited a friend in DC before Thanksgiving and we did a light road ride on the WOD rail-trail. There are two bike shops along the route. Both now sell beer as well as bike stuff. One of them (The Bike Lane) has their own micro-brewery set-up. While none of the three of us riding needed anything bike-related, we did stop at both shops for "refreshments". There was some speculation that beer sales income may overtake bike related income at The Bike Lane. While getting through the red-tape sucked, the effort seems to be paying off. Granted, the laws in NJ are quite a bit different than in VA.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have an industry show my company attends every year, we buy a bunch of booths. In all honesty I think the only reason nowadays companies show up is so that nobody questions why they don't have a booth. Pretty much the only time you don't is if the company is falling apart.

Waste of $$ and employee time. Interbike is probably the same. New product info is available on the web, more deals are made over the phone/internet nowadays and that facetime is not needed. There was clearly a LARGE amount of money being spent by bike companies.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have an industry show my company attends every year, we buy a bunch of booths. In all honesty I think the only reason nowadays companies show up is so that nobody questions why they don't have a booth. Pretty much the only time you don't is if the company is falling apart.
100% this. My company goes to ASIS, GSX, IPI, etc. As a security solutions company, if we don't show, it's like we're doing bad and can't afford to go. Each show costs at least $250,000. It's stupid.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
100% this. My company goes to ASIS, GSX, IPI, etc. As a security solutions company, if we don't show, it's like we're doing bad and can't afford to go. Each show costs at least $250,000. It's stupid.
$250k! Shit, engineering consultants have a canary is a booth spot is $2000 lol

qclabrat

There was a time when most in my dept attended one trade show a year, I've only been to 1-2 in the last 15 years as it's seen as an unnecessary expense with minimal returns. We now do all our due diligence research on the net and have the vendors travel to us.

rick81721

Lothar
There was a time when most in my dept attended one trade show a year, I've only been to 1-2 in the last 15 years as it's seen as an unnecessary expense with minimal returns. We now do all our due diligence research on the net and have the vendors travel to us.

Trade show or conference? We cut back attendance on dental research conferences but still maintained a fairly large presence.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trade show or conference? We cut back attendance on dental research conferences but still maintained a fairly large presence.
You were a dentist? Everything makes sense now.

I'm wondering if 90% of the reasons people go to conferences anyway was free food/travel. If that was removed attendance would be 1/10. I know for me if I can't make the steak dinner, I'm not going.

qclabrat

Trades for lab equipment and software. Even conferences quite a bit as well. Though they like when you present, but it's a bear going through legal on some topics.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
The internet definitely killed Interbike. I’d say it’s probably only a matter of time before the same happens to car shows also.

As far as bikes go, 9 times out of 10 none of the local shops in my area carry the bike brand that I want. Yes, they try to talk me into Santa-Cruz, Giant, etc. but I shop based on the suspension design that I want, and the only shop in my area that carries something close is kind of douchey. On the other hand, I’d say I’m a pretty good customer for my LBS. I take my bikes there for repairs, buy kids bikes there, and give them a shot at matching internet prices on the other stuffs I buy.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The internet definitely killed Interbike. I’d say it’s probably only a matter of time before the same happens to car shows also.

As far as bikes go, 9 times out of 10 none of the local shops in my area carry the bike brand that I want. Yes, they try to talk me into Santa-Cruz, Giant, etc. but I shop based on the suspension design that I want, and the only shop in my area that carries something close is kind of douchey. On the other hand, I’d say I’m a pretty good customer for my LBS. I take my bikes there for repairs, buy kids bikes there, and give them a shot at matching internet prices on the other stuffs I buy.

What’s the brand that you want??

Top Bottom