Is there an easy allamuchy?

FitmanNJ

ty how does it compare to tourne or LM
I'd say that Deer Park has a steady diet of small to medium-sized rocks scattered around on most of the trails, somewhat like the rockier stretches at Tourne. Total climbing is comparable to Lewis Morris based on the GPS files that I've generated, but Deer Park has many more rocks, where LM features more roots. The unmarked, so-called "Rogue" trail at the very northern end of Deer Park has about a mile that's significantly more technical than anything at Tourne/LM (not surprisingly, it's the trail that's nearest to Allamuchy North). But, it's easy to avoid if you understand where it is. Hope that helps...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
DP is a pretty beginer friendly with a nice set of challenges. Elevation is def more then LM and tourne but not by a lot. If you stick with white first time you can always come for more on the off trails.

Stephen's is very doable also for out a shape folks like us.

I feel your pain as the couple times of riding FM last month really f with my head. Being out of shape and riding tech = less fun.

Where in north did you start and trails did you try. I ask because there are ways in up and around the tech in North.

As pearl mentioned also KVSP

jackx

@arangov3 - If you decide to try Deer Park, it will be a lot easier to start at the parking lot at the DP entrance off Route 517. It is a lot more challenging fitness-wise to enter Deer park via the Orange trail that you can access off Waterloo Rd from parking on Kinney Road near Stephen's SP. The DP Orange trail includes a couple fairly steady uphill sections.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
DP is a pretty beginer friendly with a nice set of challenges. Elevation is def more then LM and tourne but not by a lot. If you stick with white first time you can always come for more on the off trails.

Stephen's is very doable also for out a shape folks like us.

I feel your pain as the couple times of riding FM last month really f with my head. Being out of shape and riding tech = less fun.

Where in north did you start and trails did you try. I ask because there are ways in up and around the tech in North.

As pearl mentioned also KVSP

I started off 517 behind the pub, the climb was really rough for me I just didn't have the legs for it, I was out of gas within the first mile. As for the tech it was fine, I lacked a lot of confidence that I use to have going down some of the steeper boulders around the top of the ~mountain~, but going down was fairly easy I had to ride the brakes in some things to control my speed but I didn't fall and was going quick enough to catch some air.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
@arangov3 - If you decide to try Deer Park, it will be a lot easier to start at the parking lot at the DP entrance off Route 517. It is a lot more challenging fitness-wise to enter Deer park via the Orange trail that you can access off Waterloo Rd from parking on Kinney Road near Stephen's SP. The DP Orange trail includes a couple fairly steady uphill sections.

I'm going to take your advise this sunday hope I can pedal more then walk, thanks

jackx

I'm going to take your advise this sunday hope I can pedal more then walk, thanks
It might be helpful to go on Strava and create a route and figure out which trails to take in which direction based on the Strava-estimated elevation.

kidzach

If your not ready for long climbs yet, def give Kittatinny a whirl. Shorter climbs and smaller loops. But still a lot of fun. Allumuchy will get a lot more fun once you find a loop you enjoy.

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hit me up if you want a legit tour of Deer Park or Stephens. I'm there at least once a weekend.

Deer Park or as still muddy last week, but Stephens is in perfect shape right now.

Top Bottom