Is there a way to feed thread information into the wiki?

I added Stephen's. The wiki is open to anyone to edit though. Anyone can add a thread to a park forum, then go edit the wiki as they like. Only a mod can make it sticky, but otherwise it's totally in control of the users.

This is good, I like. Getting pretty damn close if not already there.

This is good, I like. Getting pretty damn close if not already there.

'messed with the mobile template...'think it looks better. Kinda hoses the mobile site, but I think everybody probably uses tapatalk anyway...

Good, done! That's the winner IMO. Maybe Rob can widen it. Oh right, this was his baby.

Thought?

'messed with the mobile template...'think it looks better. Kinda hoses the mobile site, but I think everybody probably uses tapatalk anyway...

Mobile site still looks ok (On my DroidX anyway). I don't use it often, but I do use it way more than tapatalk (which blows, IMO!)

Good, done! That's the winner IMO. Maybe Rob can widen it. Oh right, this was his baby.

Thought?

I don't mind someone else changing the diapers.

I changed the width to make them all the same (600). Its looking good to me aside from the vertical scroll bars but I'm guessing that can't be avoided? If you look at the site on a phone the boxes seem to auto-adjust the height but again I'm guessing that's a product of using the mobile feed. That's the only other thing I'd try to implement if it were possible.

But as is I like it, especially with using the mobile feed (makes it look pretty clean). Thanks for all the tweaking Fogerson.

You can try making it bigger/wider. Personally I'd go at least 800 wide, and maybe a bit taller?

The only real issue I see as far as usability is that you can't look and see what's new and what's a year old. Also, maybe the park names should be in bold? They kinda get lost a bit. I'm thinking of the instant view of people who look at the page. It looks a little bit like just another thread. Where do I start? What's what? Who's on first?

I changed the width to make them all the same (600). Its looking good to me aside from the vertical scroll bars but I'm guessing that can't be avoided? If you look at the site on a phone the boxes seem to auto-adjust the height but again I'm guessing that's a product of using the mobile feed. That's the only other thing I'd try to implement if it were possible.

Scroll bars are, of course, because the entire post doesn't fit in the 65 or 75 pixels (whatever it is) height that we put in there. If the post is smaller than that height, you wouldn't get scroll bars.

I don't know if there is a way I could make it autosize for the whole post...I'd have to hack the wiki plugin that we use to display the post...hmmm... I have a bunch of "real" work to do this week, but I'll find a minute or two to do a little investigation...

The only real issue I see as far as usability is that you can't look and see what's new and what's a year old.

I thought about this and was going to color code the scrolling background (e.g < 3 days old green, 3 days to a week yellow, older than week red..or something like that).

I could probably display something like a little stoplight (ryg) somewhere...or try to put a ryg frame around the post, or??? This gets trickier using the mobile post, but I could probably figure something out...

I could probably display something like a little stoplight (ryg) somewhere...or try to put a ryg frame around the post, or??? This gets trickier using the mobile post, but I could probably figure something out...

I know you don't want to hear this, but the best way would be to have the page flow top down from latest to oldest. That's probably a further step into the muck than you really want to take.

I think it looks great now, and if we keep it tight (ie, let's skip Bob's Vineland Backyard Acre-type parks) we can try and make sure things are kept somewhat up-to-date.

Rob - what additional parks do you need threads for?

I think it looks great now, and if we keep it tight (ie, let's skip Bob's Vineland Backyard Acre-type parks) we can try and make sure things are kept somewhat up-to-date.

Rob - what additional parks do you need threads for?

I agree with this. I'll comb through and get a list of what needs a thread or a thread that needs to be sticked

Its looking good to me aside from the vertical scroll bars but I'm guessing that can't be avoided? If you look at the site on a phone the boxes seem to auto-adjust the height but again I'm guessing that's a product of using the mobile feed.

iframe and div scrolls don't work display on mobile devices. If scrolls are implemented using iframe, then it will lengthen the whole box so all the content is visible. If using div's, then you have to use the 2 finger scrolling technique.

iframe and div scrolls don't work display on mobile devices. If scrolls are implemented using iframe, then it will lengthen the whole box so all the content is visible. If using div's, then you have to use the 2 finger scrolling technique.

That would be why...the latest posts are stuffed in iframes...

The latest update to the wiki for the conditions is very nice. I like it better than the scrolling. Now, if only we could keep the threads that it feeds from on topic, it would be perfect.

With that being said, is it possible to have the conditions thread use a different "reply form" for responding to the post. Say, a one line, twitter like description field, limited in characters, then a few checkboxes (multi select):

O Muddy
O Tacky
O Dusty
O Drop the hammer
O TT'able
O Terrible conditions

I hope you understand my vision. I have a background in SharePoint, where something like this is possible, and very easy to implement. I don't know how this would work in vB.

Although, this vision is going overboard, and unnecessary if the condition threads stay on topic of conditions.

That would be why...the latest posts are stuffed in iframes...

That answers that question, looks like we've got it. Imagine what this would have been like if mtbnj.com was a corporation? We'd still be in meetings about meetings.

The latest update to the wiki for the conditions is very nice. I like it better than the scrolling. Now, if only we could keep the threads that it feeds from on topic, it would be perfect.

With that being said, is it possible to have the conditions thread use a different "reply form" for responding to the post. Say, a one line, twitter like description field, limited in characters, then a few checkboxes (multi select):

O Muddy
O Tacky
O Dusty
O Drop the hammer
O TT'able
O Terrible conditions

I hope you understand my vision. I have a background in SharePoint, where something like this is possible, and very easy to implement. I don't know how this would work in vB.

Although, this vision is going overboard, and unnecessary if the condition threads stay on topic of conditions.

It'd take some work to answer this question :D

Reality is, that the way it is structured right now, I'm pretty sure that there isn't a very clean way to do it as these are spread across multiple forums and threads. Maybe Vb4.0 has a way to something like this...well, if I could ever get to figuring out how much work it will take to upgrade to that.

I'm open to ideas or suggestions from anybody who knows VB better than I....

That answers that question, looks like we've got it. Imagine what this would have been like if mtbnj.com was a corporation? We'd still be in meetings about meetings.

In the software world that is changing...even the monolithic corporate giant I work for is moving towards agile/scrum methodologies in a big way. 'Still not as quick as a couple of hacks on a message board, but for folks doing real work I've seen some pretty good outcomes...

Bumping This Because...

Bumping this because most of these still need their Trail Conditions thread "stuck" to the top for easy access. And it helps keep users from creating multiple (trail conditions) threads (example: Kittatinny)

Back
Top Bottom