Iron Furnace 50/25k - Wawayanda - May 5

JDurk

So I made good on the callout by @KenS during the podcast with @Norm and @seanrunnette and made the trip. Good seeing you guys. Had an awesome time yesterday. I admittedly have never ridden anywhere north of 6 mile, so I didn't know what to expect. It had a little of everything I like in a race course.

Got to chat with a few other members of this board, including some I only know from screen names. @jShort @pooriggy @UtahJoe Pretty sure I got a wave from @jimvreeland as he passed me in his car leaving as I was starting my 2nd lap.

Yesterday should be a very good practice ride for what to expect at French Creek next weekend.

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

The mess left the day after...........nodda thing! great cleanup by Black Bear Cycle.

mess.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The mess left the day after...........nodda thing! great cleanup by Black Bear Cycle.

I've never been in a race before with so much trash on the trails. Gu packets, etc. Do MASS races get a lot of triathletes or something? ;)

MikeTB

Thanks for a great race and the photos. Are the results posted anywhere?

I also agree that there were a lot of wrappers left on the trail. Not cool folks.

Kaleidopete

I've never been in a race before with so much trash on the trails. Gu packets, etc. Do MASS races get a lot of triathletes or something? ;)
Dislike....I didn't ride the race trails today, just the staging area. I think the trail markers still have to come down so there is more clean up to be done.

onetracker

This is disappointing to hear. The course arrows will be removed tomorrow and we will remove any trash. However, MTB racing is pack-in/pack-out!!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is disappointing to hear. The course arrows will be removed tomorrow and we will remove any trash. However, MTB racing is pack-in/pack-out!!

I didn’t notice an inordinate amount. Lots of bottles but that’s certainly not intentional.

ryderX

I spent nearly 3 hours staring at the trail (cuz I'm a gluttonous moron) and counted only 6 dropped water bottles, 11 empty gel packets, 1 CO2 cartridge. I picked up 7 of the empty packets and I figured the bottles and CO2 would be claimed be some dehydrated suffering fool.
I was actually impressed with the lack of litter and truthfully expecting to see numerous abandoned tubes considering the rocks.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I spent nearly 3 hours staring at the trail (cuz I'm a gluttonous moron) and counted only 6 dropped water bottles, 11 empty gel packets, 1 CO2 cartridge. I picked up 7 of the empty packets and I figured the bottles and CO2 would be claimed be some dehydrated suffering fool.
I was actually impressed with the lack of litter and truthfully expecting to see numerous abandoned tubes considering the rocks.

I commented that I saw a lot of trash, because I saw a lot of trash. :) It was way more than I usually saw, and a lot of it was halfway through the course in one section where it flattened out w/ fire road I assumed most people took their shot at nutrition. I'm a slow guy doing the 50k so I'm moving slowly and also after all the trash is dropped so I see it.

I joke about the triathletes, but I like to think 99% of the trash is accidental. Especially in race mode it's easy to try to put that clif bar wrapper in a jersey pocket and miss, or the trash comes out while grabbing a bar later, etc.

Last edited:

choop

My back still hurts.

As an Allaire local, I always hear people ragging on it that its not real mountain biking. I always shrug it off and think you just aren't pedaling fast enough. This spring I headed north for the first time and raced Ringwood, Mooch and now IF. I guess I can now understand where people were coming from a bit better.

Needless to say the course was not built for me or my strengths, but I wanted to do it to see a new park and get some learning laps in. The course was awesome and I had a lot of fun, well I had fun some of the time. Looking forward to next year and will hopefully be a bit more prepared for the beating. Thanks to Black Bear Cycling for putting on a great event.

Top Bottom