Iron Furnace 50/25k - Wawayanda - May 5

No one has done it in the past. Totally new event. It's some of the essence of the BS 50 but on the shorter side.
They always do a spring race, it used to be called Spring Cleaning, I did it in 2016. Now they changed the name and maybe the coarse a little. Great event!

Wawayanda is one of the classic north jersey parks, along with Ringwood, and Allamuchy. One should always seize the opportunity to race these parks.
I'm in.

Wawayanda is one of the classic north jersey parks, along with Ringwood, and Allamuchy. One should always seize the opportunity to race these parks.
I'm in.
You doing the full 50?

In!
dW944_f-maxage-0.gif

Edit: Is there a Sport 50k Cat 2 option so I'm not in the same class as @Mountain Bike Mike and @UtahJoe?

Last edited:
Apologies, on vacation in Ireland.

Please come join us! This race should be a ton of fun!

Original thread: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/...cling-mountain-bike-events.43758/#post-769136

Course posted on FB and Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1503268948

The loop will not be as hard as the BearScat but will be a fun, challenging course.

Race is not USAC so no license or extra fees required.

25K Classes for Men and Women, Beginner and Sport. 50K Classes Open Men, Women and SS.

The idea is the 50K is open for racers who have experience racing longer events while the 25K option is posted as Cat 2 so racers new to longer events can try going slightly longer than a traditional XC race. We are not trying to create a ton of additional classes; Cat 2 and Beginner are only split at the 25K distance to try to expose beginner racers to longer distance racing.

If you race Cat 2 XC, try stretching your distance to 50K in Open and get some good training miles in the books!

I am clearing the schedule for the 50K. Should be fun with all that I have learned in the past 2 weeks.

The course is in great shape with a ton of cleanup done over the last few weeks.

I designed the course to be a kinder, more gentle Wawayanda with a bit more open trail to speed things up and singletrack mixed in. Is it easy? I guess that depends what you compare it to. It's easier than the Bearscat course mile for mile and is a great early season endurance event. The course is 15.6 mile per lap and a bit over 1600' of climbing.

As for the categories? No there will not be a Sport 50k class. The classes you see on bikereg are the classes you get to choose from. When you race endurance you generally do not have that class just race open and do your best.

Back
Top Bottom