Iron Cross 2017 - Who's in?

SSmtbr

It looks like they're back racing this year after a couple of years off - November 5. http://outdoorexperience.org/iron-cross/. This will be my first IC but has been hyped up a ton based on their past races. 65 miles and 6500ish feet of climbing should be a good time. Anyone in for this year? I'll be on my MTB cross-frankenbike suffering all the way.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's brilliant. Did it for the first time two years ago. Blasting through fall colors as early snow squalls on the single-track, monster climbs and great company equal excellence. Was veddy sad when last year was cancelled. Happy again this year...
Sad again. I have to be in NY for a thing on the 5th.
Anyone want my entry?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I'll be there. Very fun day on the bike - not sure it can be as full on nuts as it was two years ago (screaming down the last paved descent in a snow squall was pretty intense) but that course will be awesome either way.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll be there. Very fun day on the bike - not sure it can be as full on nuts as it was two years ago (screaming down the last paved descent in a snow squall was pretty intense) but that course will be awesome either way.
What bike you use for this Martin??

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
What bike you use for this Martin??

I used my Chinese Carbon, and ran a 36:18. I finished 4th SS. Not sure if I'll ride that one again or the Moots this year 34:17 or maybe 34:18. The last couple of climbs were hurting a lot on the 2:1. But the carbon is better for the hike-a-bike climb - in Williamsport it's steeper and much longer than the hike-a-bike in Michaux (it's really nuts -- the last hundred feet or so is a rock scramble you need to use your hands for) and it's not possible for anyone to ride much of that at all. It's the road climbs that made it tough on the gearing I had. The only plus for the Moots is it has a fork, which might have come in handy in a few spots but overall isn't a necessity. I personally think this is more of a MTB course than a cross bike course until the last 10 miles.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I did it two years ago too. It was crazy day. I was burned out from racing that year and rode my hardtail, with a pretty laid back approach to the race. I was also under dressed (I had expected it to warm up more). If I did it again I would go cross bike. I think the balance of terrain tips towards the skinnier tires. Of course I just sold my nice cross bike so I'll either have to do sscx or mtb if I do it again this year. Which I'm still debating.

Top Bottom