iPad with keyboard or just get a small laptop?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Jeez that's terrible. We all know stuff will eventually break down but for the manufacturer to purposely nerf it really stinks.

@fidodie its pretty old, but you're thinking throttling? Probably not remotely worth changing the battery which does still hold up decently.

what @shrpshtr325 said. as the battery degrades, they throttle the processor to maintain battery life at the expense of performance.
They are supposed to put some sort of 'choice' selector in the battery section of settings if this is the case. think it went in IOS 11.
The engineers made this choice without disclosing it, and it was turned into "apple reduces performance so people would buy new equipment" -
it was just a choice to have a mobile device last while not near power - as it is useless if it is dead, as opposed to just slower.

i'll also note, the web pages and apps are getting more complicated, so they do take more power to run.

there is also the chance that shared libraries are out of date with the app, and causing problems. Could do a full reset, update, then reinstall apps you use.
should get back all the icloud stuff by logging in. not recommended if you want to keep everything.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I read @Jmann comment as deliberate obsolescence as opposed to the battery/throttle thing but it might just be natural evolution. I've had more issues as time goes on with graphics heavy web browsing and just not having enough power to process the images. As you said, a full reset would probably help, I recently setup cloud storage on my iphone so if I upload some stuff as backup maybe it won't be such a hassle.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I read @Jmann comment as deliberate obsolescence as opposed to the battery/throttle thing but it might just be natural evolution. I've had more issues as time goes on with graphics heavy web browsing and just not having enough power to process the images. As you said, a full reset would probably help, I recently setup cloud storage on my iphone so if I upload some stuff as backup maybe it won't be such a hassle.

if someone wanted to start a class action lawsuit against a deep pocket tech company, how would their choice be portrayed?

Maybe they did do it with the consequence that some would buy a new phone, but it is a justifiable choice, just not one they should have made
without disclosure. It wasn't like people wouldn't figure it out - esp the ones that want to discredit apple.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/09/apple_cfaa_battery/

and yes, the battery can be replaced - there are probably kits on ebay with the necessary tools.

one piece crank

I use a an iPad Air 2 almost every day - routine web stuff, writing, and a bunch of communication and Navigation Apps. I have no problem with the on-screen keyboard except that it differs from my iPhone (why don't they have the same layout?). There are keyboard shortcuts and gestures (combination finger swipes) you can learn to make things even easier/quicker when typing or switching between Apps/functions. At several years old I find the battery life is still great.

Regarding Apple battery life and performance, I still have an Original iPad (yes, the very first model) that I use as my music server, and while it is no longer eligible for OS updates, the core Apps run fine and the battery life is also fine! After the leak Apple throttled performance on some models, Apple introduced a 2018 battery replacement plan - so far we've replaced all our iPhone (6s, 6sPlus) batteries for $15 a pop.

Small computer? I went with a refurbished HP 8-inch tablet running Win8. It does the job (barely) and lets me run win-specific apps. Windoze generally sucks, and the tablet spends most of its start-up installing win-updates and Defender virus definitions, and the keybord on this one is terrible. I only got it to run my automotive software, and connect to vehicles through a bundle of cables and BT dongles. For that purpose it has been perfect.

Top Bottom