Intervention

fuego154

I posted on MTBNJ and all I got was this stupid ni
This really isn’t the place to come to when asking “do I really need another bike?”
Totally agree
when i come to a purchase im on the fence about, i think about cost per enjoyment time. realistically think about the time you will spend enjoying it divide by the cost and you have cost per hour or per minute, is this fat bike that may cost 1500 bucks worth the 15hrs of riding this winter costing $100 an hour?

Very interesting perspective. I tend to be impulsive, so maybe I’ll hold off. Not off the table though. Perhaps some more pondering is needed.

Last edited:

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I enjoy mine when it snows, and when the conditions are right it's a blast. But otherwise it sits ignored and alone. I probably wood not buy again.

If you do buy especially for snow, get a five inch tire bike. Noticeable diff.

qclabrat

I enjoy mine when it snows, and when the conditions are right it's a blast. But otherwise it sits ignored and alone. I probably wood not buy again.

If you do buy especially for snow, get a five inch tire bike. Noticeable diff.
This would be me as well, if my 29+ does well enough this winter, the fatty will likely go on the blocks.

thegock

I put 2,190 miles on the fattie in the last four years. It could be around 300 hours.

DSCN0150.JPG

That is about $2/mile with a Bluto and carbon hoops. There is a used Fatboy ( @CrankAddictRich ) on here for $1,600 yesterday, which would cut the cost to $0.666 per mile.

Most of those miles are in the winter (Hit the Beach), but I ride it occasionally, while another bike is in the shop or it's muddy or cross country. In certain snow conditions, it is THE solution. I can attest to chasing three fatties around the woods in the winter of 2013 on 2.2" tires.

If I only was able to have one bike, would the Fatboi be it? Probably not, cuz my 62 year old back likes full squish, but it would be close.

Last edited:

Ian F

when i come to a purchase im on the fence about, i think about cost per enjoyment time. realistically think about the time you will spend enjoying it divide by the cost and you have cost per hour or per minute, is this fat bike that may cost 1500 bucks worth the 15hrs of riding this winter costing $100 an hour?

I have a full-on DH race bike. Thinking about $/min is a bad idea... especially when I add in how much I spend just to go somewhere to ride it... although my M16C probably has a better cost/use ratio than my Tazer, which I've ridden about 3 times for probably less than an hour total. Not a lot of places to use a DS bike.

I like the idea of a fat bike - especially a Salsa full-squish version - but in reality my Vassago is set up with 27.5+ tires and it's about 70% of a fat bike. And if there is that much snow on the ground, I have skis...

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed

If everyone used this logic, the whole bike industry itself would have died out long ago because all the people who buy bikes they may ride once a year (or less) wouldn't spend the money, and that's probably the majority of the revenue generated in bike sales. So I hope most people don't think that way.

It seems the solution here is simple: if you really don't have the money, don't buy the bike. If you actually do have the money and don't need it for something else, then go ahead and get it. To use the scientific nomenclature, I have a "metric shit ton" of bikes, and most of them I don't ride that often. (Seriously, the $/min on my own fat bike right now is probably approaching infinity.) But I bought them over the years and only when I had the money to afford them without taking anything away from other bills, savings or the constant demands of my very materialistic cats. Not having kids and their pesky need for things like "clothing", "food" and "shelter" has probably played a role in this being possible, if I'm being honest. So perhaps if you do have kids you could get rid of one of them and the savings incurred will make this a no-brainer.

CrankAddictRich

I put 2,190 miles on the fattie in the last four years. It could be around 300 hours.

View attachment 59453

That is about $2/mile with a Bluto and carbon hoops. There is a used Fatboy ( @CrankAddictRich ) on here for $1,600 yesterday, which would cut the cost to $0.666 per mile.

Most of those miles are in the winter, but I ride it occasionally, while another bike is in the shop or it's muddy or cross country. In certain snow conditions, it is THE solution. I can attest to chasing three fatties around the woods in the winter of 2013 on 2.2" tires.

If I only was able to have one bike, would the Fatboi be it? Probably not, cuz my 62 year old back likes full squish, but it would be close.

Thanks Tom... there's definitely a deal waiting for somebody.

xc62701

Fatbikes are for so much more than snow. I ride mine all year round and love it. I actually don't enjoy riding it in the snow. If the snow is light enough or the trails are packed then it's fun. If it snows a lot I have lots of better options than pushing my bike through snow or riding at 2mph. Get it for the year round use and don't look back.

mustclime

Had a 29er and and 26 er endero and bought a used bikes direct fatbike. long story short, I have a full squish fat bike and a road bike now....sold everything else

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I'm not the norm here but I log over 5,000 miles a year on the fat bike. As a comparison I did just under 2k on the SS and just under 5k on the road this year so far. With another heavy month prepping for Idaho I'll more than likely hit another 2k on the fatty.

Supermoto

Had a 29er and and 26 er endero and bought a used bikes direct fatbike. long story short, I have a full squish fat bike and a road bike now....sold everything else

Yep, similar story for me, except I use the fat bike on the road. I really want to buy a 120-130mm FS 29 bike. But I haven't demo'ed one yet that I thought was noticeably better than my FS fat bike. The only big difference was that the 29s cornered different, I could square off corners without losing so much speed compare to the fat bike. But if I railed the outside of the corner on a fat bike, it will keep the speed up.

The Kalmyk

Is it between a fat bike and something else?

If so, don’t get anything.

Or

Grab a hand full, man up and show your will power.

Top Bottom