inseam to crank arm length...

JerseyPete

@Paul H with all the parts you and the guys you ride with buy, borrow, try out, etc. have you gone through this sort of thing? Your group seems somewhat logical and thorough about some of their choices.

Dingo

I have 180 mm cranks on my Turner 29er. 175 on everything else.

Only difference I can feel is way more pedal strikes.

wilburdeb

I am currently riding a SRAM Blaze crankset with 175mm on the left side/170mm on the chainring side. I recently switched my chainring from 22t/36t to 24t/38t and failed to tighten my left crank sufficiently or the BB cartridge failed and subsequently stripped out the spline. I could not get a left 170mm Blaze crank arm as I was told they were no longer being made. So while I am deciding on the next crankset, I purchased and installed a 175mm left crank. I feel comfortable riding this way with no knee pain. But as a caveat, 6 months ago I got a new left knee so maybe my left leg is a couple of mms longer than my old right leg (the x-rays appear to support this assumption).

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
@Paul H with all the parts you and the guys you ride with buy, borrow, try out, etc. have you gone through this sort of thing? Your group seems somewhat logical and thorough about some of their choices.
Holy crap... why don't I remember this? Did I miss this?
Anyways... @Victor I is the only person that tries other ppl's bikes as he is prolly one of the few that has enough self control to not blow a boat load of cash based on 1 min of saddle time. Me? I just look and drool. I refuse to ride other ppl's bikes.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I am currently riding a SRAM Blaze crankset with 175mm on the left side/170mm on the chainring side. I recently switched my chainring from 22t/36t to 24t/38t and failed to tighten my left crank sufficiently or the BB cartridge failed and subsequently stripped out the spline. I could not get a left 170mm Blaze crank arm as I was told they were no longer being made. So while I am deciding on the next crankset, I purchased and installed a 175mm left crank. I feel comfortable riding this way with no knee pain. But as a caveat, 6 months ago I got a new left knee so maybe my left leg is a couple of mms longer than my old right leg (the x-rays appear to support this assumption).

i don't think i've heard of anyone running uneven cranks ! spacers on the cleats/pedals sure. Interesting one.
GLWNK (good luck with new knee?)

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Holy crap... why don't I remember this? Did I miss this?
Anyways... @Victor I is the only person that tries other ppl's bikes as he is prolly one of the few that has enough self control to not blow a boat load of cash based on 1 min of saddle time. Me? I just look and drool. I refuse to ride other ppl's bikes.
Every bike has its pros and cons. It’s like many things in life, sometimes the grass is greener and sometimes it’s not. Was all set recently to buy a new bike but not liking the current low bottom bracket trend. While it makes for great handling, not liking the potential for pedal stiles as I don’t want to have to worry about proper technique?

Top Bottom