Indoor/Outdoor Winter 2018-2019

CrankAddictRich

HoH!!
After skipping last year because I didnt feel like doing it at all, I went back this year mostly because of FOMO (Fear if Missing Out) I am supposed to race the Sandy Hook TT this coming Saturday but lets see how my recovery goes before I sign up.

You've got plenty of time to recover before Sandy Hook... in fact, I'd argue that Sunday's miles were great training and should leave you in great shape for Saturday. If you're taking a week off, hoping to recover, you're actually just losing whatever fitness gains you're trying to make. IMO, the vast majority of people take recovery way overboard.

Last edited:

iman29

You've got plenty of time to recover before Sandy Hook... in fact, I'd argue that Sunday's miles were great training and should leave you in great shape for Saturday. If you're taking a week off, hoping to recover, you're actually just losing whatever fitness gains you're trying to make. IMO, the vast majority of people take recovery way overboard.
Thanks. I never take “off” after these events for the reasons you mentioned in fact I forced myself to slow pedal 12 miles this afternoon.

I might do the same tomorrow or at least hit the foam roller and stretches some more before I have to take Wednesday off for other stuff. Then later this week will drive up to allamuchy course just to stretch the legs before Saturday. but I don’t plan on sitting around waiting for Saturday if that’s what it sounded like. I only do nothing when either I’m not feeling well or I am on vacation where no bikes are allowed.

pygmypony

I don't know @DoubleD25 but he is from my town... on the other hand, I've spent many a mile with @pygmypony and I know that he's a beast, especially when it comes to the climbs. I think we'll have a serious race on hand.
i appreciate your confidence rich! however, since i have NEVER been in a bike race in my entire life, i'll have absolutely no idea what i'm doing! who knows, maybe that will work in my favor!

pygmypony

what's this "recovery" thing you talk about?!;)

CrankAddictRich

i appreciate your confidence rich! however, since i have NEVER been in a bike race in my entire life, i'll have absolutely no idea what i'm doing! who knows, maybe that will work in my favor!

Remember the day that you just dropped Tim and I on the Round Valley climbs... do more of that and you'll be fine. Have fun.

what's this "recovery" thing you talk about?!;)

Obviously, you know how I feel about it. hahaha

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@DoubleD25 and @pygmypony lined up together in the fatbike class at short track...

Doug had a little advantage in that he has raced before - as soon as the traffic cleared, he put in a huge effort to
try to catch jim - turned in some very quick lap times. Joe set up a good pace, and was with Frank for most of the race.
Frank does things like podium cat 1 races, so that was hard fought. I limped in a couple minutes back. Didn't think i'd be
competitive, so i rode with DG for a couple laps, then took off. (i haven't ridden with him in a couple years) which left me in
no-man's land. damn...

My goal was to finish on the lead lap - which i did. they hid the 1-lap-to-go sign from jim, and made him go around again......

1554064316799.png

ps - if you aren't looking at the race results - @pygmypony raced again 5 minutes later.

Last edited:

pygmypony

@DoubleD25 and @pygmypony lines up together in the fatbike class at short track...

Doug had a little advantage in that he has raced before - as soon as the traffic cleared, he put in a huge effort to
try to catch jim - turned in some very quick lap times. Joe set up a good pace, and was with Frank for most of the race.
Frank does things like podium cat 1 races, so that was hard fought. I limped in a couple minutes back. Didn't think i'd be
competitive, so i rode with DG for a couple laps, then took off. (i haven't ridden with him in a couple years) which left me in
no-man's land. damn...

My goal was to finish on the lead lap - which i did. they hid the 1-lap-to-go sign from jim, and made him go around again......

View attachment 91804

ps - if you aren't looking at the race results - @pygmypony raced again 5 minutes later.
so did @DoubleD25 ! thanks for the follow up race report @fidodie ! it was great finally meeting you today!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'll chuck this in here.

@DoubleD25 and @Mahnken gave me a lesson in running today.
Friggin' kids.

nice job guys - check the flyby, Doug was rock solid steady the whole race,
while Chris and I went out fast, but couldn't sustain. Gotta say Chris's time is really impressive for
"not a runner"

well done guys.

IMG_3279.PNG

Mahnken

I'm already signed up for Philly ?

I'm gonna have to get some long runs in. I definitely don't want to hit a wall in a marathon. Getting through the last few miles today was brutal. I kept trying harder and just ended up going slower lol.

I didn't really start running until OOS had the running competition, before that I was doing maybe 5 miles a month, lol.
When the 2nd kid came in December it really robbed my ability to get out of the house during the day for bike rides, so I would just run at night or really early in the morning while they were both sleeping. So I've been doing 20+ miles a week since then.

Wish I would've been able to really stick to the training plan. Started off great, then the 2 year old started some sleep regression (still trying to fix), and I got sick a few times (had a cough for two weeks now). So I've only done about half the workouts I should have over the past month or so, and my long runs were fairly pathetic. Hopefully these kids start sleeping again and I can get back at it. Got a lot of running to do before November, lol.

Check out our bibs, Doug, the numbers mirror each other. And Pat's is a palindrome. Pretty neat.

Top Bottom