Indoor/Outdoor Winter 2018-2019

Zwift tour Stage 3 at 7
20190109_183007.jpg

I'm also jumping in on the Tour de Zwift. So far 3 of 9 stages complete. With the travel schedule I have, I'm going to need to do more than 0 of these in a hotel room, which is thrilling but I think/hope I can get away with just 1. Another one I'll have to fly home then get on, but it's an early morning flight so I should be ok. The 3rd one, I'll need to do it on the first makeup day. I hope they actually have makeup days like they said.

Otherwise I've been inside all year.

Kudos to anyone who went outside today, no way I could bring myself to do it.

After yesterday's Tempo interval sets my legs are not that happy with me. But since i have been overdoing the leftover xmas cookies, I decided to still try and stick to a workout so I dont just aimlessly spin on the trainer for an hour. Prior to the trainer I did 10 minutes of core work, trying to get back into that at least 2 times a week to also help with my lower back issues.

Did one of the high speed/cadence workouts that I had downloaded from www.whatsonzwift.com. Nothing too painful from an HR standpoint and the spinning at high cadence still helps the legs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2069231084

I just broke my trainer. The flywheel spins independently of the drive roller and I can't get it apart to see if there's a shear pin or something. I have to try to convince my wife that I have to get a new one and if that doesn't work I'm out.

I just broke my trainer. The flywheel spins independently of the drive roller and I can't get it apart to see if there's a shear pin or something. I have to try to convince my wife that I have to get a new one and if that doesn't work I'm out.

easier to apologize than ask permission...
that being said, ask permission. :)

Let me know if you want to get rid of it, I'd take a shot a fixing it. Everyone knows how cheap I am! :D

Kickr Core.... :)

What brand? Kurt Kinetic may replace. Otherwise, one of the KickR’s is the way to go, or so I’m told.

YouTube fixes everything...

Seriously though most of the manufacturers have a decent support reputation even if you just try to figure out whats wrong to see if its worth repairing. Otherwise I did see a like new CycleOps hammer for sale on here for a great price - check Bike parts sale section

I brought the trainer in to work so I could get a better look at it and I think that I might have fixed it. There's a setscrew on the roller that was loose and as soon as I cranked it down the roller grabbed the driveshaft. There seems to be some sort of bushing between the two that acts like a clutch. I'll find out tonight if that did the trick, if not then it looks like I have no choice but to learn to ride my rollers. Last time I tried that I put a hole in the drywall in my shop so I'll be sure to GoPro it if I go that route.

M3Tim, if you want to mess with the trainer you can have it. It's still broken.

On a positive note, I didn't die riding the rollers! I went off course a couple of times in the beginning but I picked it up pretty quick. I think that they are much more of a workout than that trainer, I'm wiped out! I did have the GoPro going but there isn't anything worth watching so I'm clearing the space for something better. Sorry there's no fail video.

So after working through a weekend with a complete lack of motivation, I got back on the horse today and did one of my usual lunch loops outdoors.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2078472833

21.30mi
1:21:09 Moving time
Garmin says temp 25 but that was in the sun, felt colder than that to me.

While I have been tending to lose my tolerance for the cold weather this season, I am trying to make the most of my chances to ride outside since my job situation/work from home will change soon. Thats the motivation I used to ride 21 miles in temps with real feel around 21F today. Once I got going it was not that bad and despite not using any of those hand or foot warmer things, only my feet were a little cold at the end of the ride. I could have went longer but saving some legs for maybe a longer ride this coming Wednesday.

Took a pic when I forced myself to stop and take one in a spot that I dont usually stop to take one.

1547500220324.png

Back
Top Bottom