Indoor/Outdoor Winter 2018-2019

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Zwift tour Stage 3 at 7
20190109_183007.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm also jumping in on the Tour de Zwift. So far 3 of 9 stages complete. With the travel schedule I have, I'm going to need to do more than 0 of these in a hotel room, which is thrilling but I think/hope I can get away with just 1. Another one I'll have to fly home then get on, but it's an early morning flight so I should be ok. The 3rd one, I'll need to do it on the first makeup day. I hope they actually have makeup days like they said.

Otherwise I've been inside all year.

iman29

Kudos to anyone who went outside today, no way I could bring myself to do it.

After yesterday's Tempo interval sets my legs are not that happy with me. But since i have been overdoing the leftover xmas cookies, I decided to still try and stick to a workout so I dont just aimlessly spin on the trainer for an hour. Prior to the trainer I did 10 minutes of core work, trying to get back into that at least 2 times a week to also help with my lower back issues.

Did one of the high speed/cadence workouts that I had downloaded from www.whatsonzwift.com. Nothing too painful from an HR standpoint and the spinning at high cadence still helps the legs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2069231084

jklett

I just broke my trainer. The flywheel spins independently of the drive roller and I can't get it apart to see if there's a shear pin or something. I have to try to convince my wife that I have to get a new one and if that doesn't work I'm out.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I just broke my trainer. The flywheel spins independently of the drive roller and I can't get it apart to see if there's a shear pin or something. I have to try to convince my wife that I have to get a new one and if that doesn't work I'm out.

easier to apologize than ask permission...
that being said, ask permission. :)

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Let me know if you want to get rid of it, I'd take a shot a fixing it. Everyone knows how cheap I am! :D

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

Kickr Core.... :)

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
What brand? Kurt Kinetic may replace. Otherwise, one of the KickR’s is the way to go, or so I’m told.

iman29

YouTube fixes everything...

Seriously though most of the manufacturers have a decent support reputation even if you just try to figure out whats wrong to see if its worth repairing. Otherwise I did see a like new CycleOps hammer for sale on here for a great price - check Bike parts sale section

jklett

I brought the trainer in to work so I could get a better look at it and I think that I might have fixed it. There's a setscrew on the roller that was loose and as soon as I cranked it down the roller grabbed the driveshaft. There seems to be some sort of bushing between the two that acts like a clutch. I'll find out tonight if that did the trick, if not then it looks like I have no choice but to learn to ride my rollers. Last time I tried that I put a hole in the drywall in my shop so I'll be sure to GoPro it if I go that route.

jklett

M3Tim, if you want to mess with the trainer you can have it. It's still broken.

On a positive note, I didn't die riding the rollers! I went off course a couple of times in the beginning but I picked it up pretty quick. I think that they are much more of a workout than that trainer, I'm wiped out! I did have the GoPro going but there isn't anything worth watching so I'm clearing the space for something better. Sorry there's no fail video.

iman29

So after working through a weekend with a complete lack of motivation, I got back on the horse today and did one of my usual lunch loops outdoors.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2078472833

21.30mi
1:21:09 Moving time
Garmin says temp 25 but that was in the sun, felt colder than that to me.

While I have been tending to lose my tolerance for the cold weather this season, I am trying to make the most of my chances to ride outside since my job situation/work from home will change soon. Thats the motivation I used to ride 21 miles in temps with real feel around 21F today. Once I got going it was not that bad and despite not using any of those hand or foot warmer things, only my feet were a little cold at the end of the ride. I could have went longer but saving some legs for maybe a longer ride this coming Wednesday.

Took a pic when I forced myself to stop and take one in a spot that I dont usually stop to take one.

1547500220324.png

Top Bottom